• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

nom de guerre

I read on another website last night that the Bognor box is scheduled to close in 2018 and for control to transfer to Three Bridges. Can anyone confirm if this is still the intention?

No, it isn't. The 'Section C' part of that site is well-intentioned, but often inaccurate.

The Bognor-area boxes should remain unchanged until Control Period 7 at the earliest. And, as Sunset says, if/when funding is found, a resignalling scheme may see relocation to a 'sub-ROC' at Barnham, rather than TBROC.

A fairly ageing workforce too, which is likely to benefit new entrants. Eight-hour roster, though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sinistah

Not sure if this has been answered but what stations does Three Bridges ASC signal box operate? Please direct me to an answer if there already is one on here.

Cheers in advance

Sunset route

Not sure if this has been answered but what stations does Three Bridges ASC signal box operate? Please direct me to an answer if there already is one on here.

Cheers in advance

TBASC geographical coverage.

Anerley fringe with Three Bridges ROC (TL), Bromley Junction fringe (exclusive) with Victoria ASC (VC), Thornton Heath fringe (inclusive) with Three Bridges ROC (TVC), Waddon fringe (inclusive) with Victoria ASC (VC), Upper Warlilingam fringe with Oxted (OD), Caterham Branch, Tattenham Corner Branch, Godstone fringe with Ashford IECC (AD), Reigate fringe (exclusive) with Reigate (RG), Cooksbridge fringe (exclusive) with Lewes (LW), Falmer Tunnel fringe (inclusive) with Lewes (LW), Aldrington fringe with Lacing (LG), Betchworth Tunnel fringe with Dorking (CBK) and finally North Stoke Tunnel fringe (inclusive) with Arundel (AR).

linnet_ranger

TBASC geographical coverage.

Anerley fringe with Three Bridges ROC (TL), Bromley Junction fringe (exclusive) with Victoria ASC (VC), Thornton Heath fringe (inclusive) with Three Bridges ROC (TVC), Waddon fringe (inclusive) with Victoria ASC (VC), Upper Warlilingam fringe with Oxted (OD), Caterham Branch, Tattenham Corner Branch, Godstone fringe with Ashford IECC (AD), Reigate fringe (exclusive) with Reigate (RG), Cooksbridge fringe (exclusive) with Lewes (LW), Falmer Tunnel fringe (inclusive) with Lewes (LW), Aldrington fringe with Lacing (LG), Betchworth Tunnel fringe with Dorking (CBK) and finally North Stoke Tunnel fringe (inclusive) with Arundel (AR).

Very interesting reading! May I ask, when Barnham SB was closed, where did control for the Barnham area go to? Also, is Ford looked after by Arundel? Sorry for being such a nosey parker. :oops:

Sunset route

Very interesting reading! May I ask, when Barnham SB was closed, where did control for the Barnham area go to? Also, is Ford looked after by Arundel? Sorry for being such a nosey parker. :oops:

Barnham was a like for like replacement from lever frame signalbox to a modern panel box just across the tracks and Ford comes under Arundel panel.

Local boxes in the area are

Coastway West; Littlehampton (lever frame), Arundel (NX panel), Barnham (NX panel), Bognor Regis (lever frame) and Chichester (NX panel).

Coastway East; Newhaven Harbour (lever frame), Newhaven Town (IFS panel), Lewes (NX panel) and Lancing (3 NX panels, two signallers and one crossing keeper).

linnet_ranger

Ended up applying for both the Grade 5 at Bognor Regis (preferred option) and the Grade 6 relief at Arundel. Had to sit an additional test (verbal reasoning) for the Arundel post on top of the two I sat for Bognor Regis.

They both closed on Thursday. When I spoke to the Network Rail recruitment team, they said online tests could still be done by other applicants in the next week and that I should allow up to 6 weeks to hear about whether or not I have been chosen for interview.

Fingers crossed now I guess.

nikki24

I know this post is from last year, but could anyone tell me the salaries for the Signaller Grades 1 - 10?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Signaller Pay Grades 2017:

Grade 1 £24,165
Grade 2 £27,665
Grade 3 £29,999
Grade 4 £31,664
Grade 5 £34,999
Grade 6 £37,081
Grade 7 £39,997
Grade 8 £42,497
Grade 9 £44,166
Grade 10 £46,387

Basic bare bones salaries, add to these numbers booked Sunday's/Bank Holidays, South Eastern Allowances, Night Allowsnce, Special Payments for Xmas and New Year etc.
Typically add £10,000 for standard extras, then RDW and additional turns on top of that.

nom de guerre

Assume you are the compiler?

Based on a quick scan, looks generally accurate.

- Wouldn't say 12h shifts are "normal" - 8h shifts probably still more common. Might be better to alter to "You would normally work 8 or 12 hour shifts".

- Would be more accurate to amend 'IECCs' to 'signalling centres'. Latter generic term covers various types of large, computer-based boxes (ROCs, IECCs, some PSBs). Accompanying description fine.

- Pay: Might be worth explicitly mentioning Sundays. For the vast majority of signallers, Sundays are; a) the main source of additional pay; b) guaranteed overtime; c) as Tom Q said, worth an average of £10K extra on top of base salary

galaxynew

Good Evening

Although no upper age limit is specified just interested to know if anyone over 50 has been appointed as a new signaller, either a member of the forum or just an employee on the forum that knows of someone that has been taken on.

Can't see any reason why not but there may be an unwritten policy to not recruit over a certain age

Thanks

Lasbrisas

Good Evening

Although no upper age limit is specified just interested to know if anyone over 50 has been appointed as a new signaller, either a member of the forum or just an employee on the forum that knows of someone that has been taken on.

Can't see any reason why not but there may be an unwritten policy to not recruit over a certain age

Thanks

Yep I have just been appointed and I'm 53, and I passed the medical which was a relief.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Good Evening

Thanks

I was 54 when I started.

Sinistah

Has anyone got an interview for the latest three bridgesx11 post or the upminster post. It has been sitting at application under consideration since 27th July. Could anyone shed some light on wgether this is a sign to be preparing for an impending invite to an interview or not

Sunset route

Has anyone got an interview for the latest three bridgesx11 post or the upminster post. It has been sitting at application under consideration since 27th July. Could anyone shed some light on wgether this is a sign to be preparing for an impending invite to an interview or not

This only applies to TBASC jobs not TBROC or any other location. Latest I've heard is they are getting a group ready for interview for TBASC with a further group held in reserve. Apparently between 150 to 160 applied for the jobs and they have been whittling the list down.

Sinistah

That sounds about right. I expected that amount. At least im still being considered. The wait is killing me though

Sinistah

Anyone apply for the Grade 2,3,4 positions? Its a recruitment pool and I believe it is external only

techybit

The recruitment pool is for internal (non signallers) and external. Its to cover gaps that may arise over the coming months, especially on the Norwich-Yarmouth/Lowestoft line that is going through a re-signalling process.

Yes the wait can be agonising. I know this from my own experience. Be patient and hopefully you'll get through.

Sinistah

My application just changed to "Application under consideration for assessment 2" Does this mean it has been sent to a manager or something. Im hoping this is a really good sign but I appreciate it could still mean not getting an interview. Just looking for confirmation of what it means from someone if possible

Goggy02

You should get a phone call soon for interview, well done. What position was it for may I ask?

OneTrackMind

Finally got the thanks but no thanks for this but look at timeline!! :lol::lol:

Signaller
Grade: Signaller Grade 9
Salary: £43,215 per annum.
Closing date: 27th December 2016.

Application Under Review
07-Dec-2016 20:03:21​
Application Accepted
08-Dec-2016 07:08:45​
Application Under Consideration
14-Dec-2016 13:09:34​
23-Jan-2017 12:58:09​
Test Completed
31-Jan-2017 14:46:20​
10-Apr-2017 11:05:49​
Application Unsuccessful
25-Sep-2017 09:39:02​

Sinistah

Signaller

Sorry to hear that. I too applied for a grade 9 but i figured the competition would be really high. I want to get in to the industry so badly and am prepared to take a pay cut to get in so i also went for a grade 3 role too.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Signaller

Keep an eye out for more TVSC jobs......