• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun

Good to see some positive things said about the IET from those who have actually been on them! I for one have been excited for a while about trying these out (having been a HST fan since the 80s when I first rode one), hopefully that opportunity will come in October. They certainly look very modern and 'Intercity', unlike the Voyager which looks cheap and dated even 15 years on. Always found the 395s very comfy, so if these are an improvement on those there's nothing to worry about!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shaun

In the cab, the second mans seat I'm pretty sure has been taken out of a 395 and plopped in there! Exactly the same. The seating in the IET's is a bit different to the Javelin, definitely built for more wear and tear and longer journey times.

Class 800 Cab and Class 395 Standard Class Interior below for reference.

Looks to me like a Standard Class Desiro seat rather than a Javelin one? Not that its a bad thing... They've bedded in well on the 350/444s over the years.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Good to see some positive things said about the IET from those who have actually been on them! I for one have been excited for a while about trying these out (having been a HST fan since the 80s when I first rode one), hopefully that opportunity will come in October. They certainly look very modern and 'Intercity', unlike the Voyager which looks cheap and dated even 15 years on. Always found the 395s very comfy, so if these are an improvement on those there's nothing to worry about!

TBH the only misgiving of any significance I have of them is the high cost of the design and procurement process. I think they will be a good quality train and will last well and be quite popular.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I won't lie, I do love the sound of a XC 220 departing, gives me goosebumps even. Best diesel train sound in my opinion! I bet I'm on my own there!

Think XCs 220/221s look pretty good from the outside! The VT ones look dated though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I won't lie, I do love the sound of a XC 220 departing, gives me goosebumps even. Best diesel train sound in my opinion! I bet I'm on my own there!

At your age you've sadly missed out on the early days. When they first entered service they gave you a kick in the back like a plane taking off while having a powerful sound with the turbo whistle etc. Originally the way they were set up you'd even get lights going off as they started out, presumably to send more power to the traction motors.

Then they were reconfigured more sensibly :)

dp21

I couldn't agree more. They have more padding though.

More padding is good! Might be on my own but I quite like the 395 seats relatively speaking so if they're anything similar then I'm pleased. Anyway, my excitement about seats is now spent, carry on chaps!

swrailuser

Please remember that the vast majority of passenger kilometres on the IEP fleet will be done under the wires where there would be no need for the diesel engine to be active. On the East Coast the worst case scenario is the Highland Chieftan but that will still spend most of its journey under the wires - currently there are 4 hours and 39 minutes (London-Haymarket) under the wires compared to the total 8 hours 6 minute journey time. With EGIP wiring up to Dunblane, this becomes 5 hours 28 under the wires around the same time that the IEP fleet will replace the HSTs on EC. As the rolling programme of electrification continues this under-wire journey time increases more and more and so there will be less and less time spent with the diesel engine running.

yes great for an East coast rail user but not for a west country passenger where the train is in diesel mode for up to 80% of its journey

jimm

Established Member
yes great for an East coast rail user but not for a west country passenger where the train is in diesel mode for up to 80% of its journey

If you have an issue with sitting in a coach with an engine, then you will be able to sit in the four coaches on nine-car and 2x5 Class 802 formations that don't have an MTU diesel under the floor.

Even if all had gone swimmingly with the Great Western electrification programme, any extension of overhead wires to Exeter or beyond would still have been many years away.

Contrary to some expectations, HSTs won't actually last forever - had the Scotrail franchise been let in the past year or so rather than at the end of 2014, they would have been buying new trains, not life-extending HSTs - and expecting 1970s diesel technology to mix it with 21st century electric traction on all the other services between London, Reading and Newbury for another decade or so makes no sense, which was why GWR pushed so hard to get the 802s approved.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just thinking, once 800 / 802 are fully rolled out, I'm guessing there won't be the stock rotations at pad that there is with hst. So when an 800 comes in from Bristol for example, it won't be able to form a Penzance, etc. So that will need tweaking?

Pete_uk

Established Member
I saw one! I saw one!

I was had just walked past the high ground by the newly dug out part of the canal outside Stroud at about half past nine when I heard a train. I looked around and coming over Capels Viaduct was a green 800. Of course, I had to be in a awkward spot but it seemed to be making good speed up the incline. I'm assuming it had stopped at Stroud or it was just going slow.

Last edited:

MonsooN

Just wondering - what will happen to the HSTs that are used by other companies (Grand Central, Cross country etc)

Will they have to retire their HSTs too? Will they replace the HSTs with something else?

AlexNL

Established Member
It depends...

If the TOCs want to retain HSTs and the ROSCOs are willing to do the necessary investment to keep the fleet running (e.g. DDA compliancy) then I don't see why those HSTs would have to go.

If the TOC feels it's necessary to get younger stock, then the HSTs will go. Take Hull Trains for example, they have ordered a couple of 800's to replace relatively young 180's.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Just thinking, once 800 / 802 are fully rolled out, I'm guessing there won't be the stock rotations at pad that there is with hst. So when an 800 comes in from Bristol for example, it won't be able to form a Penzance, etc. So that will need tweaking?

From next January the existing GWR diagrams are tweaked so that in general the xx21 arrival from Plymouth/Penzance forms the next xx03 departure out. There are variations to this but in general the principle holds true. This accommodates the need to split West Country / non West Country workings.
(Worth remembering that any West Country service not going further west than Paignton will be potentially worked by an 800. There are diagrams via B&H to Exeter fairly early in the transition process.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
If the TOC feels it's necessary to get younger stock, then the HSTs will go. Take Hull Trains for example, they have ordered a couple of five 800's to replace relatively young 180's.

A couple sounds a bit mean! Corrected that for you!

michael74

From next January the existing GWR diagrams are tweaked so that in general the xx21 arrival from Plymouth/Penzance forms the next xx03 departure out. There are variations to this but in general the principle holds true. This accommodates the need to split West Country / non West Country workings.
(Worth remembering that any West Country service not going further west than Paignton will be potentially worked by an 800. There are diagrams via B&H to Exeter fairly early in the transition process.

I suspect my Dyslexia is kicking in here, but are you saying Paignton will or will not be seeing the new trains? I always assumed they would?

michael74

I suspect my Dyslexia is kicking in here, but are you saying Paignton will or will not be seeing the new trains? I always assumed they would?

Ignore me, of course they are, its early........ Out of interest does any one have any idea when they are running into Paignton on test runs?

michael74

sprinterguy

Established Member
Just wondering - what will happen to the HSTs that are used by other companies (Grand Central, Cross country etc)

Will they have to retire their HSTs too? Will they replace the HSTs with something else?
Grand Central's three HSTs are being replaced by the class 180s from GWR as soon as they become available (meant to be by December this year, don't know if that deadline has slipped), while Crosscountry's five sets are being fitted with power doors in the next few months for continued use beyond 2020 - first set due to be released from Doncaster works in the coming weeks.

jimm

Established Member
It depends...

If the TOCs want to retain HSTs and the ROSCOs are willing to do the necessary investment to keep the fleet running (e.g. DDA compliancy) then I don't see why those HSTs would have to go.

If the TOC feels it's necessary to get younger stock, then the HSTs will go. Take Hull Trains for example, they have ordered a couple of 800's to replace relatively young 180's.

Hull Trains has ordered five Class 802s, not Class 800s, to replace all its Class 180s.

Yes, it will see the new trains. Class 800s were always intended to work as far to Exeter and Paignton on a regular basis as part of the IEP programme but they were not meant to work Plymouth/Cornwall trains - hence the separate order for Class 802s, to provide full engine power all the time for climbing the Devon banks.

As a result, a mix of 800s and 802s can now be expected on Exeter/Torbay services - though perhaps 800s mostly being seen at Paignton on summer extras.

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen to the current Padd - West of England via Bristol services? At first it looked as though they would no longer run, but is this still the case given the fact XC has gone quiet on its proposals to introduce extra services to Exeter, supposedly from Dec 2017? Also I am particularly concerned about the last up services on Saturdays and Sundays which run an hour and a half after the last XC service between Exeter and Bristol.

Last edited:

ExTankieAaron

Regarding VTEC.
Do you think they will call 800101 flying Scotsman?
Not sure of the railway rules regarding this no doubt die-hard enthusiasts will dismiss it right away as it's not a loco. It wouldn't be right not to have a flying Scotsman on the east coast.

reddragon

Established Member
Regarding VTEC.
Do you think they will call 800101 flying Scotsman?
Not sure of the railway rules regarding this no doubt die-hard enthusiasts will dismiss it right away as it's not a loco. It wouldn't be right not to have a flying Scotsman on the east coast.

No, it would have to be 800103

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen to the current Padd - West of England via Bristol services? At first it looked as though they would no longer run, but is this still the case given the fact XC has gone quiet on its proposals to introduce extra services to Exeter, supposedly from Dec 2017? Also I am particularly concerned about the last up services on Saturdays and Sundays which run an hour and a half after the last XC service between Exeter and Bristol.

GWR are getting rid of most of them; diverting via the Berks and Hants Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.