• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How do you know this?

It was fairly well discussed around the time of the 2015 direct award, the published GWR franchise brief at the time stated that most via Bristol services would run via the B&H; but on the original plans it would have happened in May 2017.

I'd have thought it was a fairly widely known future change.

spark001uk

Established Member
Looks like there's a move pencilled in for Monday morning, from Stoke Gifford to Doncaster, via Acton.

jimm

Established Member
Does anyone have any idea what is going to happen to the current Padd - West of England via Bristol services? At first it looked as though they would no longer run, but is this still the case given the fact XC has gone quiet on its proposals to introduce extra services to Exeter, supposedly from Dec 2017? Also I am particularly concerned about the last up services on Saturdays and Sundays which run an hour and a half after the last XC service between Exeter and Bristol.

If has never been the case that there would no longer be any services going via Bristol.

What was said by FGW in 2015, so I assume it still holds true, was that fewer services would run via Bristol from December 2018.

A diagram used in stakeholder presentations by FGW to show the intended December 2018 timetable pattern for routes to be worked by the Class 800s and what were still then Class 801 indicated that a number of IEP services would operate between London and Exeter via Bristol (apparently as an extension of to/from Bristol via Bath services, and not penetrating further into the West Country than Exeter).

If you want to find out about what GWR will be required to provide from December 2018 by way of last trains of the day, they can be found in the service level commitment, which you can download from this page

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/first-great-western

In the zip folder there are four pdfs - the December 2018 details are the one with the title starting 'greater western'

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
If has never been the case that there would no longer be any services going via Bristol.

What was said by FGW in 2015, so I assume it still holds true, was that fewer services would run via Bristol from December 2018.

A diagram used in stakeholder presentations by FGW to show the intended December 2018 timetable pattern for routes to be worked by the Class 800s and what were still then Class 801 indicated that a number of IEP services would operate between London and Exeter via Bristol (apparently as an extension of to/from Bristol via Bath services, and not penetrating further into the West Country than Exeter).

If you want to find out about what GWR will be required to provide from December 2018 by way of last trains of the day, they can be found in the service level commitment, which you can download from this page

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/first-great-western

In the zip folder there are four pdfs - the December 2018 details are the one with the title starting 'greater western'
Thanks, that will obviously require me to spend some time wading!

Dave1987

On Moderation
On a class 80x what is going to happen if you board with your bike but that area is already full with luggage? Or vice versa you have a load of luggage but there are already bikes in the storage area? People are going to leave bikes in the vestibules or leave luggage in the way.

route101

Established Member
Will we see class 800s at Glasgow ? Or will the VTEC service cease before then?

leomartin125

Is there a date pencilled in yet for the VTEC 800s and 801s to enter service?

I wouldn't say worrying about anything VTEC related is the top of any priority list, after all the 800 and 801's are brand new and have never entered service with any railway company before, so GWR's deal is huge. So I would say anything VTEC related is on hold, until GWR can get theirs underway first. And no, there is no date pencilled in.

leomartin125

On a class 80x what is going to happen if you board with your bike but that area is already full with luggage? Or vice versa you have a load of luggage but there are already bikes in the storage area? People are going to leave bikes in the vestibules or leave luggage in the way.

The bike areas will be reserved for bikes, they have bike storage racks so good luck trying to fill luggage into that space. Any luggage in there would also be a security risk as it is behind closed doors unattended.

On the GWR IET Familiarisation App, 2 bicycles can be stored vertically in Coach B and another 2 can be stored in Coach D. Above the bicycle compartment door is a reservation LED display similar to that of the seat reservation display. It will show the name of the person who has reserved the space and from wherever to wherever. What happens if somebody without a reservation puts their bike in a reserved space that isn't occupied yet god only knows. Hoping that stuff will be confirmed nearer the time, plenty of questions that still need to be answered.

The app only shows a 5 car formation thus far. More than 4 bikes can be stored on the 9 car 800's and 802's.

At the moment, if the bike limit (I believe it's six) is reached on a HST, anymore reserved bikes are turned away regardless. Bikes can be stored in the power car, however this is only allowed if the station that the person is travelling to has a short platform.

Last edited:

Sprinter153

The bike areas will be reserved for bikes, they have bike storage racks so good luck trying to fill luggage into that space. Any luggage in there would also be a security risk as it is behind closed doors unattended.

On the GWR IET Familiarisation App, 2 bicycles can be stored vertically in Coach B and another 2 can be stored in Coach D. Above the bicycle compartment door is a reservation LED display similar to that of the seat reservation display. It will show the name of the person who has reserved the space and from wherever to wherever. What happens if somebody without a reservation puts their bike in a reserved space that isn't occupied yet god only knows. Hoping that stuff will be confirmed nearer the time, plenty of questions that still need to be answered.

The app only shows a 5 car formation thus far. More than 4 bikes can be stored on the 9 car 800's and 802's.

At the moment, if the bike limit (I believe it's six) is reached on a HST, anymore reserved bikes are turned away regardless. Bikes can be stored in the power car, however this is only allowed if the station that the person is travelling to has a short platform.

The app you talk about actually shows that fold-down luggage shelves are fitted in the bicycle spaces. There is no security risk from unattended luggage because the doors will be locked open by the Train Manager when the conversion to luggage space takes place. (screenshot attached)

Train Managers will be instructed to lock the area out of use entirely unless it's either in use as luggage storage or reserved by cyclists, reducing the ability for cyclists to just put their bike in there.

At present bicycles are only put in an HST power car as an absolute last resort (and at the discretion of the Train Manager only). Last time I checked my competence managers don't like the practice owing to door incident risk, the presence of safety equipment in the power car and the fire bottle system (which removes all oxygen from the power car, apart from the driver's cab, in case of fire) which is obviously a hazard!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-24-23-43-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-08-24-23-43-56.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 190

leomartin125

The app you talk about actually shows that fold-down luggage shelves are fitted in the bicycle spaces. There is no security risk from unattended luggage because the doors will be locked open by the Train Manager when the conversion to luggage space takes place. (screenshot attached)

Train Managers will be instructed to lock the area out of use entirely unless it's either in use as luggage storage or reserved by cyclists, reducing the ability for cyclists to just put their bike in there.

At present bicycles are only put in an HST power car as an absolute last resort (and at the discretion of the Train Manager only). Last time I checked my competence managers don't like the practice owing to door incident risk, the presence of safety equipment in the power car and the fire bottle system (which removes all oxygen from the power car, apart from the driver's cab, in case of fire) which is obviously a hazard!

And despite this, most TM's in the West advise it, as it's the only way for people with bikes to be able to access them at stations like Westbury. They may not like the practice, but if it needs to be done at the request of the customer, it will be done. I work on the trains and see it almost every time I travel down to the South West.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Is there a date pencilled in yet for the VTEC 800s and 801s to enter service?
The first set (a 9-car class 800) is planned to be accepted by VTEC on 23rd August 2018. This being the railway, you can probably add at least four months onto that for the actual acceptance date... ;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Will we see class 800s at Glasgow ? Or will the VTEC service cease before then?
I'm not aware that there's a plan to withdraw the daily East Coast Glasgow service - it's there in the franchise train service requirements. I would have thought that class 801s would be more likely than class 800s to be diagrammed for the Glasgow service, the route being fully electrified.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Do you mean unreserved?

If you actually mean reserved, what's the point in reservations?

Sprinter153

And despite this, most TM's in the West advise it, as it's the only way for people with bikes to be able to access them at stations like Westbury. They may not like the practice, but if it needs to be done at the request of the customer, it will be done. I work on the trains and see it almost every time I travel down to the South West.

I know about these things since I sign Westbury and the only situation where you wouldn't be able to access the TGS to load or unload bikes would be platform 3 in the up direction if the starting signal is at danger. Most of us will pop the bike somewhere sensible within the train rather than use the power car.

I remember being specifically discouraged from using the power car (apart from end-to-end luggage storage in high summer - loaded and unloaded by staff to prevent door incidents) when I learned HSTs. The 'Managing Cycles on Trains' booklet issued last year grades areas for cycle storage and states that using the power car is 'least recommended'.

If a cycle is unreserved then it doesn't 'need to' be carried anyway, by the letter of the rules*, regardless of the request of the customer.

Indeed if you said to a competence manager 'bugger it, customer requests come before compliance with instructions' you would be out of the door before you could say 'bicycle'. I'm guessing you're not traincrew. :lol:

Anyway, we digress. Sorry!

* That's not to say I agree with said rule, but that is another matter.

leomartin125

I know about these things since I sign Westbury and the only situation where you wouldn't be able to access the TGS to load or unload bikes would be platform 3 in the up direction if the starting signal is at danger. Most of us will pop the bike somewhere sensible within the train rather than use the power car.

I remember being specifically discouraged from using the power car (apart from end-to-end luggage storage in high summer - loaded and unloaded by staff to prevent door incidents) when I learned HSTs. The 'Managing Cycles on Trains' booklet issued last year grades areas for cycle storage and states that using the power car is 'least recommended'.

If a cycle is unreserved then it doesn't 'need to' be carried anyway, by the letter of the rules*, regardless of the request of the customer.

Indeed if you said to a competence manager 'bugger it, customer requests come before compliance with instructions' you would be out of the door before you could say 'bicycle'. I'm guessing you're not traincrew. :lol:

Anyway, we digress. Sorry!

* That's not to say I agree with said rule, but that is another matter.

I'm just saying what I have seen. Every time I work a train in the West, any passengers with bikes who board at Exeter and would like to alight at Westbury have to store it in the power car, I've never seen it done any differently. And yes, it's always on Platform 3 at Westbury where the customers alight to collect their bikes.

I did mean 'Unreserved'. Sorry, all this is getting me confused.

Thatcham Xing

Most of us will pop the bike somewhere sensible within the train

A few years ago, I was out on the bike from my hometown, and feeling adventurous made it as far as Pewsey, with the intention of letting the train take the strain back home (normally I only get as far as Bedwyn, where I've never put it on anything other than a Turbo).

It being Pewsey, an HST rocked-up, and I'm pretty sure neither power car was platformed. TM saw me on the platform wondering what to do, and advised me into the buffet car. Propped the bike up against the door away from the platform side, and enjoyed a beer on the way back to Newbury :)

Thanks to the TM who helped me out that day!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.