• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Oi! ;)

Barnsley 2 Nottingham Forest 1

Our defence and midfielding was a bit shocking, but our strikers were the closest to superb.

Very fun first game for me! :)

Hope you guys can defy the "experts" and stay up. Always think of Barnsley as a solid 2nd-tier side as a minimum, as that's where they were when I first got into football.

What are your thoughts on the Andy Yiadom thing? Apparently Town are still hoping to get him despite recent rumoured issues with his medical. I feel he'd be a good back-up/competition for Tommy Smith at full-back but I don't like the idea of us weakening your squad just for someone who will at least start as a 2nd-stringer.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'm glad you enjoyed your first game at Oakwell. I haven't been there yet myself, but I'm planning to this season, providing it's a weekend game. ....

Enjoy, Oakwell is one of the best I have ever been to; a proper old-school, town centre ground, which (where I was sat at least) also offers decent views back over the town centre. It's certainly retained its character and environs better than the likes of Edgeley Park or Kenilworth Road had when I visited there.

J-2739

Established Member
Hope you guys can defy the "experts" and stay up. Always think of Barnsley as a solid 2nd-tier side as a minimum, as that's where they were when I first got into football.

What are your thoughts on the Andy Yiadom thing? Apparently Town are still hoping to get him despite recent rumoured issues with his medical. I feel he'd be a good back-up/competition for Tommy Smith at full-back but I don't like the idea of us weakening your squad just for someone who will at least start as a 2nd-stringer.

I haven't really heard much about this myself (lol, I'm so new over here :s) How long has it been going on for?

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 0...Kidlington 1 (Coyle 24)

Winchester City's first home game of the season ended in disappointment as they did everything but score against a stubborn Kidlington side. The visitors took the lead midway through the first half with a superb volley, following which the hosts saw several efforts blocked and two shots cleared off the line (one of which crashed down off the underside of the bar before being cleared off the line).

Other Results:

Tuesday:

Barnstaple Town 0...Larkhall Athletic 3

Bishops Cleeve 1...AFC Totton 3

Bristol Manor Farm 3...Shortwood United 3

Didcot Town 4...Wimborne Town 2

Salisbury 2...Paulton Rovers 2

Swindon Supermarine 1...North Leigh 1

Taunton Town 2...Mangotsfield United 1

Yate Town 0...Bideford 1

Wednesday:

Evesham United 1...Cinderford Town 0

Slimbridge 1...Cirencester Town 2

Last edited:

Established Member
So far, two points out of a possible nine for The Owls after last night's 1-1 draw with Sunderland. I don't think a draw against Sunderland is a bad result (a win would have been better), but I'm still not impressed with our current points total in the league table. Hopefully things will improve for us sooner rather than later.

I believe David Jones' equalising goal was excellent, although I haven't seen it myself.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Manchester United look like they might be the real deal this season, though they've not had any real tests yet...

We of course host Newcastle tomorrow, so I'm reduced to counting the goals and assists by former Terriers. Quite a few today in the lower leagues. Also hope Norwich can get a 3rd at Villa Park to save a point and more importantly my accumulator!

SS4

Established Member
We won? It's not April 1st is it?

If only matches ended at half time we'd be top of the league!

Last edited:

96tommy

York 4-3 Nuneaton

Nervy finish from leading 4-1 to 4-3 but a vital 3 points for the Minster men who finally have their home victory.

familyguy99

Oldham 0-2 Wigan

First time I saw Oldham played this season and they were awful (special in first half) Wigan deserve they victory and should really won game more than two goals, I be surprise if Wigan fails to finishes in top 6 this season as they look good side knowing it still early in season.

Oldham and Northampton are only teams in League One that haven't got point so far this season. Oldham play Blackpool next weekend and if we play like we did today, I feel it be P4 L4 for Oldham come next Saturday. :(

Drogba11CFC

Bracknell Town 0...Winchester City 4 (Gerrard s/o 51; Jenkinson 36, Carr 40, Flooks 74, Cox 80) Att: 238

Winchester City made their first step on the road to Wembley with a comfortable win over Hellenic League opposition. The hosts started the better side but Andy Jenkinson opened the scoring with a left-footed effort from the edge of the area and Rob Carr scored in similar fashion four minutes later. The hosts attempted to get back into the game early in the second half but their left back was dismissed for a second yellow card five minutes after the break. City controlled the game from that point and Rob Flooks made it three on the rebound before Pat Cox connected from IK Hill's cross to complete the rout and seal City's place in the hat for the next round.

Other Results:

Andover Town 3...Wimborne Town 3

Aylesbury 2...Cirencester Town 1

Barnstaple Town 1...Clevedon Town 0

Bideford 6 (SIX)...Wells City 0

Cadbury Heath 1...Yate Town 0

Chipping Sodbury Town 1...Bishops Cleeve 3

Colney Heath 2...Shortwood United 0

Flackwell Heath 1...Didcot Town 2

Fleet Town 1...AFC Totton 1

Highmoor Ibis 1...North Leigh 3

Kidlington 1...Wantage Town 0

Newcastle Town 1...Evesham United 1

Odd Down 1...Mangotsfield United 0

Portland United 0...Portland Rovers 3

Salisbury 3...Fareham Town 2

Slimbridge 1...Cinderford Town 2

Swindon Supermarine 1...Northwood 0

Taunton Town 3...Larkhall Athletic 0

Willand Rovers 2...Bristol Manor Farm 1

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
1 Sheffield United - 2 Barnsley

Btw, that Yiadom transfer to Huddersfield has been called off.

?

It was 1-0 to Sheffield United according to the BBC...

Leeds won 2-0 away at Sunderland which I'm pretty happy with. Sadly we appear to be selling Woods at a silly price (£15m to Burnley) when his goals could be worth a lot more if he stayed. At least there is still time in the transfer window to remedy the situation.

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
?

It was 1-0 to Sheffield United according to the BBC...

Leeds won 2-0 away at Sunderland which I'm pretty happy with. Sadly we appear to be selling Woods at a silly price (£15m to Burnley) when his goals could be worth a lot more if he stayed. At least there is still time in the transfer window to remedy the situation.

Oops, why did I write that????

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Huddersfield Town have definitely arrived in the Premier League... Arriva have given us a REAL train to get into Huddersfield from the Heavy Woollen District in the form of a 150 rather than the usual Sunday fare of a single Merseytravel 142! (Still only bi-hourly on a Sunday but we can't have everything can we?)

Unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of forgetting that we're playing Newcastle, so did my usual Dewsbury switcheroo... almost got left behind after people initially refused to move down the aisles. Eventually (after about 2 mins) the guard announced that first was being declassified temporarily until we got to HUD.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Paid a rare visit to Wembley yesterday as part of my 92-club obligation to re"do" it as a League ground.

Have they taken some toilets out since the stadium re-opened? The half-time queues were horrendous. Knowing this, I wisely restricted myself to a half of the real ale in the concourse before the game (a quite passable pint of GK IPA served by gravity).

The post-match queues at all three stations were even more horrendous. At cup finals, half the crowd stay on for the presentations, the other half leave - which eases it a bit. And with it being a London derby, nobody was going north - everybody wanted the tube or overground.

I did my usual plan B in such circumstances and caught the 18 bus to Euston but had to beg to be let off after it only did half a stop in 30 mins. I wonder if walking to North Wembley station would have been a better bet?

What did annoy me was allowing Spurs to play a b****y drum on the PA during play. Whatever next? Organists? The only other place I have seen anything like it was Mouscron vs Cercle Brugge in Belgium.

If Wembley's 3+ stations fail to cope with 73,000 fans how on earth will the little White Hart Lane station cope with 60,000? Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters are miles away.

PS A good 3-0 win for Bradford on Saturday but FC United's defence (and their player's body language) was dire.

96tommy

Paying a visit to Sheffield United to orrow night to tick it off the 92. If coming by car where is the best place to park, is there any tram stops nearby?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Paid a rare visit to Wembley yesterday as part of my 92-club obligation to re"do" it as a League ground.

Have they taken some toilets out since the stadium re-opened? The half-time queues were horrendous. Knowing this, I wisely restricted myself to a half of the real ale in the concourse before the game (a quite passable pint of GK IPA served by Gravity).

These names Londoners give to their kids are getting more and more wacky! :lol:

BlueFox

Paying a visit to Sheffield United to orrow night to tick it off the 92. If coming by car where is the best place to park, is there any tram stops nearby?

The ground is within easy walking distance of the main railway station. In the past I've parked at Meadowhall and got the train from there.

I hope it's a good game and the away team win.

BlueFox

The ground is within easy walking distance of the main railway station. In the past I've parked at Meadowhall and got the train from there.

I hope it's a good game and the away team win.

To clarify, if you're not familiar with the area...

I would park at Meadowhall railway station - it has a separate car park to Meadowhall shopping centre. If you use the shopping centre car park it can be quite a long walk to the station. Parking is free.

If you're travelling from the south, leave the M1 at junction 34, but DON'T follow the signs for Meadowhall. Take the A631, which goes under the M1, and take the first exit at the next roundabout. Turn right at the Travelodge and the station is on that road. There are trains to Sheffield every few minutes and the journey takes 5-6 minutes. It's around £3 for an off-peak return. You could get the tram to Sheffield instead but it takes a lot longer.

There may be places closer to the ground to park, but my experience of city centre football grounds is that the roads can be so busy after the game that it's better to park further away and get a train or tram.

96tommy

To clarify, if you're not familiar with the area...

I would park at Meadowhall railway station - it has a separate car park to Meadowhall shopping centre. If you use the shopping centre car park it can be quite a long walk to the station. Parking is free.

If you're travelling from the south, leave the M1 at junction 34, but DON'T follow the signs for Meadowhall. Take the A631, which goes under the M1, and take the first exit at the next roundabout. Turn right at the Travelodge and the station is on that road. There are trains to Sheffield every few minutes and the journey takes 5-6 minutes. It's around £3 for an off-peak return. You could get the tram to Sheffield instead but it takes a lot longer.

There may be places closer to the ground to park, but my experience of city centre football grounds is that the roads can be so busy after the game that it's better to park further away and get a train or tram.

Thank You! Coming from Leeds in the car, will look at parking at Meadowhall

Established Member
Poor performance tonight, we deserved to lose. At least Jordan Rhodes scored (twice).

96tommy

Parked at Meadowhall and got the train into Sheffield.

Match finished Sheffield United 1-4 Leicester City a scoreline which flattered Leicester in quite an even game. First half saw both teams have good chances but the quality of Leicester prevailed in the end. Tomorrow night, Newcastle v Forest for me.