• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaleCooper

Established Member
That's the one. Over to you Finbarr.

My alter ego is Hapag Lloyd, not Finbarr. I've tried to live my life guided by the tenets of the good book - Viz's Top Tips.

Here's another tip which will not only save you money but could one day save your life:

If you're cold stand in a corner, they're usually about 90 degrees.

Enough frivolity here's the next question:

How many rooms are there in Hilbert's Hotel?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That is not the answer, you must be thinking of Hilbert's building site (with planning permission for a hotel).

I know it's not the answer, I looked it up and realised I wasn't as clever as I thought I was. And I didn't actually think I was that clever anyway.

krus_aragon

Established Member
My alter ego is Hapag Lloyd, not Finbarr. I've tried to live my life guided by the tenets of the good book - Viz's Top Tips.

Here's another tip which will not only save you money but could one day save your life:

If you're cold stand in a corner, they're usually about 90 degrees.

Enough frivolity here's the next question:

How many rooms are there in Hilbert's Hotel?

I've just started counting them. I'll get back to you when I finish...

(That might be a while, 'cause somebody told me it was infinite. Oh, and an infinitely large bus of tourists has just turned up wanting rooms as well!)

DaleCooper

Established Member
I've just started counting them. I'll get back to you when I finish...

(That might be a while, 'cause somebody told me it was infinite. Oh, and an infinitely large bus of tourists has just turned up wanting rooms as well!)

Yes, there are an infinite number of rooms and they are all occupied. When the infinitely large number of tourists check in the guests will be asked to move to the room number that is twice the one they are in. The guest in room 1 goes to room 2, the guest in room 2 goes to room 4 etc., this will leave an infinite number of odd numbered rooms unoccupied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

Your turn...

backontrack

Established Member
As I've set a question recently, you may have the floor if you'd like, backontrack.

Otherwise, open floor.

Well that's very kind of you :smile:

QUESTION:

"I was adored once too."

This line is spoken by which Shakespeare play? And by which character?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks.

More literature – though not stuff generally acclaimed as of Shakespearean magnitude !

British great-grandmother and great-granddaughter, both novelists – with the same surname. The former attracted much scandal in her time, for perceived sexual licence both in her personal life and her writings; the latter was a nun in an enclosed order. Please give their respective Christian names, and surname.

Calthrop

Established Member
Hint: the most notorious bit in the writings of the "racy" one -- great-grandmother -- involved a torrid sex scene on a tiger-skin rug. This prompted a little verse by some anonymous person, beginning thus:

Would you rather sin
On a tiger skin
With [author's name]... ?

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Further hint: the surname of the two ladies is (coincidentally AFAIK), one of the words in the title of a one-time steam tramway in Great Britain, closed to passengers in 1933 and altogether in 1935.

(As far as I'm concerned, feel free to Google.)

Calthrop

Established Member

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As it's more than 24 hours since the last correct answer, can I take this, please?

“Stands named after xxxx and me, and you tell there is no bar in either? That’s outrageous!”

Who said this, what was he talking about, and who was the other person?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As it's more than 24 hours since the last correct answer, can I take this, please?

“Stands named after xxxx and me, and you tell there is no bar in either? That’s outrageous!”

?

Hmmm ....no takers? Let's see if this helps - the speaker was one of two famous cricketers whose names were often coupled together because of their joint feats on the pitch.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

?

Hmmm ....no takers? Let's see if this helps - the speaker was one of two famous cricketers whose names were often coupled together because of their joint feats on the pitch.

Okay, one more clue .... the "other person" was Bill Edrich, Middlesex and England.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

Yes, well done, it can only be the great Dennis Compton, talking about the (then) new Compton and (Bill) Edrich Stands at Lords.

He's right, you know, as well ... there isn't a bar in either stand, the nearest being in the Grand Stand or the Tavern Stand .... outrageous!

It's your pavilion, with or without a bar!

:)

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Yes, well done, it can only be the great Dennis Compton, talking about the (then) new Compton and (Bill) Edrich Stands at Lords.

He's right, you know, as well ... there isn't a bar in either stand, the nearest being in the Grand Stand or the Tavern Stand .... outrageous!

It's your pavilion, with or without a bar!

:)

Says everything you need to know about those misers at Lords!

As we remember Brian Epstein this week...

Had he not taken the overdose Brian had planned to get out the music business and manage who?