• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Congratulations to both of them. The videos have been thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ginaro

I did miss the genesis of the "except the Isle of Wight" joke
They uploaded a video each day covering their first five days, then there was a four day gap until the next video showing day nine. In the comments quite a lot of people were asking "What happened to days 6, 7 and 8??" and "would of loved to see Portsmouth plus the Isle of Wight!" etc. (as they had posted a drone pic on social media).

Don't think most people were being nasty, just that they either didn't know about the 4 videos per week or didn't realise that'd mean places would be missed out. The next day the Isle of Wight was posted as a bonus video.
Plus it ties into their sarcastic response when people asked "Are you doing X station?" - "No we're doing all the stations, except X" :)

Bromley boy

Established Member
Good for them on completing the marathon.

I must admit I was sceptical at first but I've really enjoyed what I've watched so far of the series. They struck a good balance between railway specific stuff and other local points of interesting on occasion, especially castles. The quality of the videos is also extremely high.

I'd perhaps like to have seen more focus on my local area but in fairness I can see it isn't the most objectively interesting bit of the railway. I expect most viewers would say the same about their particular necks of the woods.

Overall, job well done, I'd say!

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Well done to them - it's been a great project, and frankly anything that raises the profile of the railway to the general public is a good thing!

With something like this, you're never going to please everyone, but they've certainly opened my eyes to parts of GB that I've not visited yet, and have definitely inspired me to do some more exploring, which frankly was what the whole project was about!

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Good for them on completing the marathon.

I must admit I was sceptical at first but I've really enjoyed what I've watched so far of the series. They struck a good balance between railway specific stuff and other local points of interesting on occasion, especially castles. The quality of the videos is also extremely high.

I'd perhaps like to have seen more focus on my local area but in fairness I can see it isn't the most objectively interesting bit of the railway. I expect most viewers would say the same about their particular necks of the woods.

Overall, job well done, I'd say!

Bromley South was the most visited station; I doubt they’d want to spend much time talking about where they live!

Established Member
Congratulations to both of them. The videos have been thoroughly enjoyable throughout.

Indeed hopefully there will still be a couple of video's to come covering the highlands and journeys end.

Cletus

Established Member
They tweeted yesterday:

The good news is that the next video is out tomorrow (Sun) at 7am BST - Episode 50!

The bad news is that there’s only 9 left after that, episode 60 will be the last one

(although 51-60 is 10)

Established Member
The series has certainly been enjoyable - best episode was London Euston to Birmingham New Street where they met Sir Peter Hendy, did the Abbey and Marston Vale lines and met one of the announcers and innovators on the 700s - very much like his voice! I believe he does the ThamesLink station announcements too as well alongside Anne.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I haven't really read this thread until now, and have only had time to look at the last 150 posts or so. As some pointed out, the negativity is quite eye-opening. Expressing an opinion is one thing, being completely consumed by one's own obsession and not being able to see the bigger picture and the positives of the project is quite something else. If anyone thinks their own rules are better, go and do it yourself. No one is stopping you. If they can pull in the sponsorship and enjoy huge support then surely so can you?! If you manage that one day, you can set your own rules. Until then, as far as this project is concerned, their rules are the only ones that matter. Whatever you and I think the rules should be, frankly who cares?

Congratulations to Geoff and Vicky. I have only seen some of their videos and it is a fantastic idea. I wonder why no one else thought of doing this before?! They had a project, they persisted with it, and they did fantastically well to complete it. Even if they missed out on anything even by their own standards, so what? Visiting all stations is far from the only objective of this project - it is probably the least significant contribution from this project.

As for anyone getting upset by this thread, don't. Life is far too busy to be upset by an argument on an internet forum. Almost everything else in life is more important. Remember you cannot make everyone agree with your view, and remember that even Mother Teresa has her critics. If people disagree with you then so be it, shake hands, agree to disagree and move on. Look ahead, and gracefully say your goodbye to a thread if needed be.

I have no wish to trawl through the 600+ posts in this thread, however what I will say is I am sure all valid criticisms have probably been said, and challenged, repeatedly upthread. Now that the project is complete, move on too.

In view of the unpleasant tone this thread has taken, any further bitching or obsessive repetition of arguments already expressed will be deleted without exception, and I will be keeping a very close eye.

Howardh

Established Member
I haven't really read this thread until now, and have only had time to look at the last 150 posts or so. As some pointed out, the negativity is quite eye-opening. Expressing an opinion is one thing, being completely consumed by one's own obsession and not being able to see the bigger picture and the positives of the project is quite something else. If anyone thinks their own rules are better, go and do it yourself. No one is stopping you. If they can pull in the sponsorship and enjoy huge support then surely so can you?! If you manage that one day, you can set your own rules. Until then, as far as this project is concerned, their rules are the only ones that matter. Whatever you and I think the rules should be, frankly who cares?

Congratulations to Geoff and Vicky. I have only seen some of their videos and it is a fantastic idea. I wonder why no one else thought of doing this before?! They had a project, they persisted with it, and they did fantastically well to complete it. Even if they missed out on anything even by their own standards, so what? Visiting all stations is far from the only objective of this project - it is probably the least significant contribution from this project.

As for anyone getting upset by this thread, don't. Life is far too busy to be upset by an argument on an internet forum. Almost everything else in life is more important. Remember you cannot make everyone agree with your view, and remember that even Mother Teresa has her critics. If people disagree with you then so be it, shake hands, agree to disagree and move on. Look ahead, and gracefully say your goodbye to a thread if needed be.

I have no wish to trawl through the 600+ posts in this thread, however what I will say is I am sure all valid criticisms have probably been said, and challenged, repeatedly upthread. Now that the project is complete, move on too.

In view of the unpleasant tone this thread has taken, any further bitching or obsessive repetition of arguments already expressed will be deleted without exception, and I will be keeping a very close eye.
After reading all the pros and cons, arguments for and against, bitching back and forth, "am I more enthusiasticer than them..." blah blah....after about four months of travelling then finally I can come on this board and proudly correct a moderator, expecting a flak of protest afterwards.

It's Vikki

(her best mate at school was called Vicky so she changed hers. She's probably legally Vicky, or Victoria, but like any half-decent TV star she changed it to suit herself.)

I win ;)

Now can someone do All Britain's Sodding Airports??

Dai Corner

Established Member
After reading all the pros and cons, arguments for and against, bitching back and forth, "am I more enthusiasticer than them..." blah blah....after about four months of travelling then finally I can come on this board and proudly correct a moderator, expecting a flak of protest afterwards.

It's Vikki

(her best mate at school was called Vicky so she changed hers. She's probably legally Vicky, or Victoria, but like any half-decent TV star she changed it to suit herself.)

I win ;)

Vicki I think ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

It's Vikki

I win ;)

Go to the corner over there and think about what you have done. 8-)

jon0844

Veteran Member
I've been trying to get crowd funding for #allthepubs but so far haven't got very far. Especially as I wanted to go worldwide and have my flights paid for too.

Dai Corner

Established Member
#Allthebusstops would be the ultimate public transport challenge! There is a list I believe but I bet it's not 100% up to date and some are extremely awkward or not served at all.

I'd like to do #Alltheislands accessible by public transport. There's plenty of room there for things like awkwardness in scheduling, definitions and whether you can walk the last leg or the train/bus/ferry has to reach the island.

woodhouse122

I now think its time for #Allthebusstations, which if successfull could be followed by #Alltheinterchanges, where 2 or more modes of public transport connect/intigrate, and finally #Allthebusstops.
wont be possible to make a all the bus stations video series because as soon as they would get thier cameras out to film the jobsworths would chase em out (easier to get pics at blackpool north than at some places :) ) -personally i'd like to see them do a all the stations ireland before the brexit kicks in :D

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
I applaud them and welcome them to the small but growing number of completists! :)

My friends keep asking me what's next to visit. I'm torn between castles and public toilets.

Hughby

I've been trying to get crowd funding for #allthepubs but so far haven't got very far. Especially as I wanted to go worldwide and have my flights paid for too.

Are you planning to go in all all of them or just look at the pub from the outside? <D:lol:

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
All The Abandoned Stations would be interesting, the ones that still stand but are used for other purposes perhaps. Geoff's keen on the abandoned underground stations so it's up his street....line.

nlogax

Established Member
All The Abandoned Stations would be interesting, the ones that still stand but are used for other purposes perhaps. Geoff's keen on the abandoned underground stations so it's up his street....line.

Would love to see that project - mind you, I think Nick Catford's got the public record side of things sewn up there!

Cletus

Established Member
I applaud them and welcome them to the small but growing number of completists! :)

My friends keep asking me what's next to visit. I'm torn between castles and public toilets.

Castles would be better!

Or seaside piers, there's not so many of them (28?).

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

Public Toilets - there's not many left and speaking of which its a shame that Blackpool Council demolished the ones that were the remains of Central.

Status
Not open for further replies.