• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Private Baxter

Established Member
I did not attend the open day, but judging by the pictures on their facebook page, seems to have been really well attended, and looked like an interesting event. And despite apparently no B7s in attendance, there was still plenty of variety from what I could tell, along with some more historic buses. Perhaps I'll go next year, should they do one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
So certainly amongst those at the top of the Uni First are seen as the far more reliable and professional service...

What a difference to when I was at the uni! First year First were viewed as pretty poor, and my second year was when Wessex first started their services which were viewed as much better than First's offerings!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Also, and this is just an observation.... There were a lot of enthusiasts who are perhaps a bit further along the autistic spectrum that the average Joe. As a generalism, perhaps a hobby with numbers and registrations etc is what attracts them, I don't know. What I can say is that this provides certain challenges yet the First staff were brilliant in trying to patiently answer questions, corralling people so they didn't wander off and put themselves in danger, and trying to pitch information so it was detailed enough without alienating the general public who'd just walked in. Special mention of the lady driver Louise (aka Lou) who was an absolute credit to First.

I know what you mean. I know of quite a few people with conditions such as Aspergers etc, they like numbers and order and sequence. I kind of do, although I myself am not autistic!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Also, and this is just an observation.... There were a lot of enthusiasts who are perhaps a bit further along the autistic spectrum that the average Joe. As a generalism, perhaps a hobby with numbers and registrations etc is what attracts them.
Interesting point. I am somewhere along the autistic spectrum myself albeit not very far. My main hobby with numbers is shortwave radio (frequencies, etc.)

Dave

D2007wsm

Established Member
What a difference to when I was at the uni! First year First were viewed as pretty poor, and my second year was when Wessex first started their services which were viewed as much better than First's offerings!
Over recent years a lot of investment and effort has been made with the Bath University services. With the introduction of the Uni Bus band there was first the investment in the older fleet, which are now religated to secondary services after the introduction last September of the E400s. It looks a lot more professional now compared to the days of 'Devastation Dave' and 'The Bright Orange. The Uni Bus brand has been that much of a success it has been introduced on the Bath Spa services and it looks as if it will be used in some form in Bristol on the new U1 for the University of Bristol.

Marcus Fryer

I did not attend the open day, but judging by the pictures on their facebook page, seems to have been really well attended, and looked like an interesting event. And despite apparently no B7s in attendance, there was still plenty of variety from what I could tell, along with some more historic buses. Perhaps I'll go next year, should they do one.

The following Bristol Open Doors days events (9th and 10th September) may be of interest:

Vintage Bus Tour AF
Canons Road (Nr Millennium Square) BS1 5LL
Sat 10am – 4pm & Sun 10am – 4pm

Enjoy a nostalgic free ride on a vintage bus! Travel in style to some of the Doors Open Day venues open on the Saturday and Sunday. Services will operate from Canons Way (by the entrance to the @Bristol Underground Car Park, Millennium Square) between 10am and 4pm both days. See www.bristolbusevents.co.uk for details.

Bristol Vintage Bus Group
Flowers Hill, BS4 5JJ
Sat & Sun 10am – 4pm

Admire a rally of treasured vintage buses and coaches. See vehicles in various stages of restoration as Bristol Vintage Bus Group open the doors of their three sheds. Check www. bristolbusevents.co.uk for details of what, when and where you can catch a free ride during Doors Open Day.

Drop in

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member
Over recent years a lot of investment and effort has been made with the Bath University services. With the introduction of the Uni Bus band there was first the investment in the older fleet, which are now religated to secondary services after the introduction last September of the E400s. It looks a lot more professional now compared to the days of 'Devastation Dave' and 'The Bright Orange. The Uni Bus brand has been that much of a success it has been introduced on the Bath Spa services and it looks as if it will be used in some form in Bristol on the new U1 for the University of Bristol.

Only my personal opinion but since the bendis have been mainly operating the short workings from Bath Abbey to the Uni, Dorchester Street bus stops are less chaotic with more space for normal length buses. Also rarely see letters in the press complaining about the bendis.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Agree that the Uni Bus brand is very good and indeed much more professional. The Bright Orange I always thought was pretty good (and lasted years didn't it?) but Devastin' Dave was awful and embarrassing. Thankfully only lasted a few years.
Hadn't realised the the U1 is to be for University of Bristol - hadn't read the notes properly!

matt_splat

Agree that the Uni Bus brand is very good and indeed much more professional. The Bright Orange I always thought was pretty good (and lasted years didn't it?) but Devastin' Dave was awful and embarrassing. Thankfully only lasted a few years.
Hadn't realised the the U1 is to be for University of Bristol - hadn't read the notes properly!

Devastating Dave was once suggested as a brand because of a manager who left first and went to wessex not sure how true that is though

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
As I threatened, I had a trip out on Saturday and here's the detail. Apologies for those who suffer narcolepsy as a result but will try to keep it interesting.

I started by driving and leaving the car in the Nuffield gym near Parkway (membership perk) and walked round to the station for about 8:30. A 73 came and went before my chosen journey arrived. I'd decided to have a last trip on the First 77 and fit in a B7L before their suggested departure and in came... a B7RLE! Best laid plans and it was the oddity that is 69253. Off we headed south - various squeaks and squeals like a chinchilla being fed through a mangle was what came to mind. Pity the poor driver who had to listen to that for a three hour cycle! Off at WOT and then onto 33962, usual fayre on the 1 and a quick hop to Blackboy Hill. I'd bought an AvonRider specifically to have a few other last hurrahs and so I boarded the 505 with another B7RLE in Wessex 30937 - these have been largely debranded so I expect them to appear in Surrey soon. A friendly driver and off we headed to Long Ashton, wending our way through Clifton and then down to Hotwells. As Park Street was closed, the Clifton routes were all heading that way. This really is a bit of a cinderella route though I was experiencing it at perhaps a quiet ebb. Still, good to do it for a change

I got into Long Ashton and walked straight from that to a very shabby 37608 - the change of service/kit can't come soon enough and some new paint to be lavished on it. Very quickly, I was retracing my movements back along to Hotwells and then the loop in town to get me to Lewins Mead. I walked into Horsefair and weighed up the options for the bus to Lawrence Hill. I could've caught a 42-45 but elected to have a coffee and wait an extra 15 mins and get the 35 - ages since I've been on it (years and years) and the usual 43849 duly arrived. Christ, it's battered inside and well nigh threadbare - could really do with TLC in and out!

I didn't spend too long at the depot open day - not quite my thing though interesting enough and some tit bits from the management. By 12:25, I was back out and getting 37356 back into town. My plan was to head to Weston so 33569 loading on the X1 seemed like a good idea so off I went. Then I had a cunning plan.... why not head to Portishead and get the X5? So I got off at Long Ashton and waited..... two X9s passed in about 6/7 mins and I should've twigged that service reliability on the Excel network wasn't good. I could see an e400 heading towards me on the X4, did the sums and reckoned I'd miss the X5 so I sat back down and waited. So much for my cunningness - clearly trying to be too clever. Eventually, an X7 arrived, a full 30 mins late and it was Streetlite 47553.

Now, a lot of folks get bent out of shape about Streetlites and I've experienced the odd dodgy one. I know they're lightweight and they're no B7RLE. However, I find them bright and airy and generally quite decent. 47553 was excellent - no jerking from the gearbox, neither straining nor idling, and not a rattle on it. I know it's only 3.5 years old but it went really well. I was quite pleased to get the X7 (a new experience) and we made our way through Yatton and out past Congresbury. Conscious of the late running, the driver stopped and asked the assembled patrons if anyone wanted West Wick (no) or Weston Village (one person) so we missed out the former. On doing the latter, it became apparent that the roads (tight enough anyway) were teeming with traffic coming the other way. Drivers were manoeuvring haphazardly and it was mental - felt for our driver as we mounted kerb after kerb and as he wrestled the bus through gaps and past large SUVs. We exited to see the main A370 closed due to an accident; I discovered subsequently that there had been an RTA and that a motorcyclist had sadly died. Puts things into perspective really.

On arrival at Weston, our driver apologised for the delay and the quality of the ride - he really needn't have. He was doing his best. I had time for a quick sandwich having spied 32001 waiting for its next duty on the 20. My plan was to go to Uphill Hospital, then get off and catch Crosville's 4 back before they exit that service. The conversion on 32001 is of a high quality. The livery is great in the bright sun and we headed off for a windswept trip along the prom. I hopped off and declined the offer of the lady driver on the 5 to head back and waited for the 4. After 15 mins, it was clear it wasn't coming - Crosville struggling for drivers as things wind down a bit? Disappointing as I'd not really exploited the AvonRider too much but I cut my losses and got 32006 back. To be honest, a different experience and a vehicle terribly tired inside. Not very nice but unlikely to benefit from any improvement before its pension date.

The reliability of the Excel services was continuing to suffer so I was able to cheat time and catch the 1617 X2 back to Bristol, operated by ex Manchester e400 33754. Bit since I'd done this route too (was still the 353 I think) and we trundled off. All was fine til Ashton Gate as we caught the football traffic exiting the area. It didn't seem so bad though on top of our existing delay, we were probably 30 mins late into Bristol - no wonder more recovery time is being added.

Time for another quick coffee and the penultimate vehicle and not one to be outfoxed, it was another 77 and this time, it was a B7L. Probably the last time I'll get to ride on one locally so 66335 did the honours. We had 3 other passengers - one guy, with a sort of hybrid mullet hair style that seems at odds with his sandals, for Kellaway Avenue, and the driver's wife and baby! Now the 77 does have to carve its way through the streets of Cotham and elsewhere and the traffic was hardly heavy so the driver didn't need to rush. However, he was skilled and deft - Eastern European drivers get a bad press at times but he was excellent. In addition, 66335 had very few rattles for a 15 year old bus (in contrast to 69253) and it was a lovely ride out but you can see why the service is tendered - a couple of other waifs were collected en route but at termination at Southmead, it was just me, the driver and his family! Quite why First didn't use something smaller and cheaper, I don't know. They offloaded 3 Solos to Glasgow a year or more ago that would've probably been fine on it.

Southmead Hospital is a blustery place to wait for a bus and I kicked my heels for 15 mins for my last bus of the day; it's when you get to a place like this that you appreciate how suburban routes really tail off in frequency in the evening now. I was getting the last 82, courtesy of ex Bath B7RLE 66939. Again a friendly driver (only my 35 driver had been miserable all day) and a lovely gentle ride out to Cribbs where we gained a few passengers, mainly workers who'd finished for the day. Now 66939 was absolutely spot on - 12 years old and barely a rattle or squeak. We made our way through the burbs and it then deposited me at Parkway, some 11 hours since I'd started.

Hope this is of interest

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
The University of Bristol service will become the U1. Presumably the Uni Bus brand will be used.

vicbury

Now, a lot of folks get bent out of shape about Streetlites and I've experienced the odd dodgy one. I know they're lightweight and they're no B7RLE. However, I find them bright and airy and generally quite decent. 47553 was excellent - no jerking from the gearbox, neither straining nor idling, and not a rattle on it. I know it's only 3.5 years old but it went really well.

Interesting report, thanks. Mostly routes I'm not familiar with so I won't comment on that.

Streetlites.. I raised on here not long ago that they pull up Park Street well and feel powerful enough however it was mentioned that they weren't reliable when interurban services from Weston-super-Mare.

As for the gearboxes - the one I had on the 8 a week ago was jerking around between second and third at times.

Agreed they are far brigther and airer inside than B7RLEs, courtesy of the low floorline (particularly at the rear - which B7RLEs are horrible on) and high roofline. However, they do seem to get quite hot, even with the cool air blowers on. This is probably a function of large single-glazed windows and leather seats. Maybe also poor insulation between the engine bay and passenger saloon?

D2007wsm

Established Member
Interesting report, thanks. Mostly routes I'm not familiar with so I won't comment on that.

Streetlites.. I raised on here not long ago that they pull up Park Street well and feel powerful enough however it was mentioned that they weren't reliable when interurban services from Weston-super-Mare.

As for the gearboxes - the one I had on the 8 a week ago was jerking around between second and third at times.

Agreed they are far brigther and airer inside than B7RLEs, courtesy of the low floorline (particularly at the rear - which B7RLEs are horrible on) and high roofline. However, they do seem to get quite hot, even with the cool air blowers on. This is probably a function of large single-glazed windows and leather seats. Maybe also poor insulation between the engine bay and passenger saloon?
The Streetlites have there advantages and disadvantages and routes they are more suitable on than others.

When the X2 and X3 (as was then) first transferred from Marlborough Street to Weston last year, at one point the reliability of the Streetlites was so poor that the short E200s were being used in there place, with the Streetlites relegated to 3s. The E200s were better able to cope with the hills. Weston spent a lot of time sorting out the Streetlites, including having the manufacturers out to sort out the gearboxes.

Weston's Streetlites are a lot more reliable now, as they are predominantly used on flatter routes. But drivers do mention at times they can struggle getting up to Failand on an X6 with a full load. It has been noted they can be quite nippy on the motorway when on an X5 or running dead between Weston and Clevedon/Nailsea/Portishead.

Hopefully in September, the Streetlites will be confined to town work, X8s and X9s with the routes with more challenging terrain handled by the E400s which are more suitable.

They do feel spacious inside, but at night the interior lighting is very bright and they do rattle a fair bit

swifty

Established Member
The bio bus was out this morning heading up Park Street on driver training, it head off up Whiteladies Road along the 1 route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The Streetlites have there advantages and disadvantages and routes they are more suitable on than others.

Weston spent a lot of time sorting out the Streetlites, including having the manufacturers out to sort out the gearboxes.

They do feel spacious inside, but at night the interior lighting is very bright and they do rattle a fair bit

One of the comments made by the Bristol General Manager at the LH open day was in relation to the "jerkiness" of the Streetlite gearbox; apparently it even triggers the Greenroad technology as times.

He remarked that they've spent a bit of time focussing on the issue across the depots, working with Wright and ZF (?) in to resolve the issues. As with most, I've experienced ones that haven't been set up correctly (with one trip on a 37 near Kelston that was especially painful.

Certainly, 47553 didn't have a rattle despite it being bumped over kerbs. Thought it was fine but accept not all are the same. However, same point with my B7RLE experience - 69253 was very noisy whilst 66939 barely made a sound other than the engine tone!

Another interesting aside from Saturday is that First are awaiting with interest what happens with the Streetlites; the 2013 examples are out of warranty soon so they'll have a better view as to the actual cost of operation.

vicbury

One of the comments made by the Bristol General Manager at the LH open day was in relation to the "jerkiness" of the Streetlite gearbox; apparently it even triggers the Greenroad technology as times.

He remarked that they've spent a bit of time focussing on the issue across the depots, working with Wright and ZF (?) in to resolve the issues. As with most, I've experienced ones that haven't been set up correctly (with one trip on a 37 near Kelston that was especially painful.

Certainly, 47553 didn't have a rattle despite it being bumped over kerbs. Thought it was fine but accept not all are the same. However, same point with my B7RLE experience - 69253 was very noisy whilst 66939 barely made a sound other than the engine tone!

Another interesting aside from Saturday is that First are awaiting with interest what happens with the Streetlites; the 2013 examples are out of warranty soon so they'll have a better view as to the actual cost of operation.

I believe we were told at the open day that the Streetlites have Voith gearboxes. I may remember incorrectly though. Did they really come with a 4-year warranty though?? That's rare even among car manufacturers.

We were also told that one of Lawrence Hill's buses has just cost the depot £20,000 as its engine failed just out of its one-year warranty! I presume this refers to either a Streetdeck or Enviro 400 MMC?

One other snippet from the depot is that the B9s are all needing new gearboxes. It was commented that the system of large intakes of fleet in certain years is a hindrance as it means large parts of the fleet all suffer the same time-related fautls (e.g. the B9 gearboxes) at the same time!

swifty

Established Member
53818 was broken down earlier just outside Bitton Football Club. It looked like some kind of fluid leak.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe we were told at the open day that the Streetlites have Voith gearboxes. I may remember incorrectly though. Did they really come with a 4-year warranty though?? That's rare even among car manufacturers.

We were also told that one of Lawrence Hill's buses has just cost the depot £20,000 as its engine failed just out of its one-year warranty! I presume this refers to either a Streetdeck or Enviro 400 MMC?

One other snippet from the depot is that the B9s are all needing new gearboxes. It was commented that the system of large intakes of fleet in certain years is a hindrance as it means large parts of the fleet all suffer the same time-related fautls (e.g. the B9 gearboxes) at the same time!

Indeed, there were some enlightening cost snippets.

Also confirmation that Muller Road will be flattened and returned to the council as the dilaps run into the millions. Also no new depot - cost does not stack up.

Private Baxter

Established Member
33414 now running in unbranded Excel orange.
Saw that one, and quite a few others in Bristol this afternoon that have been done recently. Quite a few now I reckon. I must say I do like the new orange look for north Somerset services.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Saw that one, and quite a few others in Bristol this afternoon that have been done recently. Quite a few now I reckon. I must say I do like the new orange look for north Somerset services.
There is at least 5 done now:

It'll be interesting to see the first Street
lite painted like it.

As a side note pink Streetlite 47555 has been fully branded for Mtickets as seen on 24s this afternoon.