• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New railtour company on West Highland Line, Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

EltonRoad

Being a bit of a WHL junkie, I just wanted to spread the word about a new railtour company that's sprung up within the last week or so, operating weekly loco-hauled trips up to Fort William and back. The first and last trip will be steam-hauled, by The Great Marquess. Plus there is a full meals service. This has to be done at some point!

The web site is below.

http://www.whestrail.co.uk/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai.

Established Member
I really love the website design, thanks for the heads up.

Drimnagh Road

Will there be specific traction on the diesel trips or anything from West Coast 33/37/47/57 bag? I'd be tempted to do it if it were 37s.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I gather its non-specific unfortunately (not the 57 though). I'd be tempted for 33s or 37s but definately not for a 47! I thought the air-cons would have put you off though.

Drimnagh Road

Well its less than ideal, but hey don't mention the war. I think WHEST should go for 37s myself, as bound to get the enthusiasts travelling then, plus they were associated with the line for so long.

Was on a tour with mk3s on Saturday in Ireland, when a country has approx five diesel tours a year, you can't be too fussy with regards coaching stock. At least in the UK, if a tour is booked for air-con you can flag it and wait util one with proper stock comes along.

Established Member
I gather its non-specific unfortunately (not the 57 though). I'd be tempted for 33s or 37s but definately not for a 47! I thought the air-cons would have put you off though.

Air-cons would suggest an EH 47 then unless its top and tail in which case there may be a 37 one way.

shame theres no operators doing a regular loco hauled Inverness-Kyle, think this line warrants it

4SRKT

Established Member
Air-cons would suggest an EH 47 then unless its top and tail in which case there may be a 37 one way.

33s are (or at least were) ETH fitted, so they could operate air-cons. That would be a lot more attractive to enthusiasts than 47s IMHO.

There is however an ominous picture of a duff near the top of the diesel tour section.

Derek Riley

I thought I read that all trips would be 47s except for possibly one week when 37s may work. Shame indeed it's aircons, would have thought early mk2s would have been more suitable.

Pairs of 33s aren't allowed on the WHL or anywhere much in Scotland it appears, maybe chaps north of the border think 33s aren't quite the real thing! Also not sure if the 33s have workable train heat supply or actually handle aircons.

It is a good venture but I think they will soon realise that every extra seat they can fill will become a priority so fingers crossed for some traction variety.

As someone said a Kyle trip with and observation car as Scotrail used to use would really catch on, not sure whether pathing in the height of summer would be an issue on that line.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Pairs of 33s aren't allowed on the WHL or anywhere much in Scotland it appears, maybe chaps north of the border think 33s aren't quite the real thing! Also not sure if the 33s have workable train heat supply or actually handle aircons.

I

Not sure how true it is but the story goes that both the Scottish Region and Soutern Region wanted to used the abbreviation of SR. The southern used it so all southern locos were banned from Scotland.

4SRKT

Established Member
Not sure how true it is but the story goes that both the Scottish Region and Soutern Region wanted to used the abbreviation of SR. The southern used it so all southern locos were banned from Scotland.

Weren't the legendary Cliffe > Uddingston cement trains once worked throughout by pairs of 33s?

Status
Not open for further replies.