• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2011 Blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Sorry to hear about that; I hope she makes a swift and complication-free recovery :)

It would be a shame if it caused you to miss the 80.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
At the moment I'm a house husband with three kids trying to look after a virtual invalid and hold down a senior management job located 15 miles from where I live. Those who know me would probably not describe me as one of life's natural carers.

A bit tough.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear that about your wife 4SRKT. I, and no doubt all of the forum membership, wish her a speedy recovery.

4SRKT

Established Member
Ta.

This is the second year running I've had to flag the deltic on the main line. Last May it was to attend a Holy Communion ceremony in York on a Saturday (A Saturday! I ask you! Do these catholic types think that nobody has anything better to do in their spare time than sit around in a draughty church?). OK, this is a slightly more valid reason to flag it, but the last time I had any main line deltic action was in 1981, aged 10, so I'm starting to think I'm fated not to get any more.

Much more serious would be missing my last chance to get the 80 class. The deltic will after all be out again (although something bad will doubtless happen to thwart me again). OTOH Thumpers are 'my' trains, and I'd be devastated if I were to miss out here. Never say never. I will move Heaven and Earth (apologies for religious reference following the tirade in the previous paragraph) to do this. I've forked out nearly £50 on this already and am damned if that's going to waste. One of my parents will probably agree to stay at my house for a couple of days to cover me. The only potential 'turd in the cereal bowl' would be if my wife were actually being operated on that week.

Last edited:

Chester025

Sorry to hear that about your wife 4SRKT. I, and no doubt all of the forum membership, wish her a speedy recovery.

Agreed! I hope you get your NIR fix, and a trip on the Deltic, infact the 9th of July may interest you...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Somewhere oop North is getting a charter (York/Leeds I think for the start) with Spitfire to Paignton, using RSG. Not confirmed on their website yet. Source is the Spitfire Tours 2011 thread on The Messroom.

4SRKT

Established Member
April 4th, the first serious crankfest of 2011 and very possibly the last for a while. My wife has a slipped disc which is causing me to be very much tied to home at the moment and for the foreseeable future. I had already flagged the Spitfire Deltic do in March (fortunately was able to offload the ticket), so the thought of missing this was doing my head in.

The reason? Yet another NIR DEMU farewell, although this time, due to the domestic circumstances, it really will be the last time. Thumpers, especially NIR ones, are my special trains, and the thought of missing this chance at the 59th minute of the 11th hour was more than I could bear. Tickets had been booked before my wife’s indisposition began, so I also stood to lose a substantial amount of money. Luckily my parents stepped in and offered to help with the kids to allow me to do this trip. My father is also a enthusiast (and from Northern Ireland himself), so very much understands my DEMU addiction, and my mother is a long suffering yet sympathetic wife and mother of cranks, so she was also willing.

Anyway, all domestic arrangements were covered, and the alarm went off at 04:40 on Monday 4th April. I’d been awake for ages anyway, filled with that pre-bash excitement that I’m sure we can all relate to, but I didn’t want to get up too early and risk spousal wrath by waking anyone up. I’d booked a taxi for 05:00, so after a quick coffee and toast I went out of the house to meet it to avoid any beeping horns at such an early hour. The ten minute taxi ride to Bradford Interchange was spent listening to the driver’s tales of the nocturnal exploits of the dregs of Bradford society, such as beating up drivers, smoking and taking drugs in the back, and using taxis as a means of transport to and from various petty crimes. Nice.

The Interchange was coming reluctantly to life as I arrived, at least in the bus part. The railway station was shuttered off, although with the first train not due out until 05:32 this wasn’t surprising. At 05:20 the shutter went up and we were let through. There was a 180 idling in the siding that I presumed was for the 06:51 to the Cross, but five minutes later another one arrived in platform 2, so I guess the one in the siding must have been the stock for the 10:22. 3-car 158752 arrived from Leeds on time at platform 3 to form the 05:32 to Manchester Victoria with one passenger on board. I and four others boarded and we were off.

The grip was in a bad mood and seemed annoyed about having to sell me tickets. What had I used to get through the barrier at Bradford? he wanted to know. I’m not sure what the correct answer should have been given that the booking office was closed and the barriers wide open, but anyway, the answer he got was ‘nowt’. At Victoria the train was close to full, despite the 06:48 arrival, so my initial scepticism about the need for a 3-car set on this working was proved wrong. Across to the Metrolink platform where a Piccadilly working had pulled out as we arrived. Damn: 12 minutes to wait. An Altrincham tram came and went, with the next Piccadilly hot on its heels. We pulled out of Victoria and climbed about 100 yards up Balloon Street before coming to a halt behind the Altrincham tram that had failed. WTF? 90 minutes into a mega-bash and it looked like it might fall at this most unexpected hurdle. I had 25 minutes to get to Piccadilly for the 07:30 to Carmarthen, and this was now in jeopardy. Fitters arrived almost immediately however and got the offending set moving: we arrived at Piccadilly at 07:20. 175008 was my steed for the 07:30, which I rode as far as Shrewsbury. Lots of dead class 56s at Crewe Diesel Depot, which was a sad sight. Meanwhile one of the all-conquering sheds trundled slowly and obliviously past on the Independent with a liner train. Five minutes late at Shrewsbury after a slight farce at Nantwich, and strolled over for the 09:05 Central Wales working, formed of 153320. This train was billed as the 09:05 to Cardiff Central, which is potentially disastrous should anyone for Cardiff actually board it for 5+ hours of meandering all over Wales.

I was surprised to see a buffet trolley on this train, despite only 8 passengers ex-Shrewsbury. Catering on a 153?? What next? Branches of McDonalds on all Pacers? Anyway, the service did surprisingly well overall after a slow start, so I guess we have to assume ATW know what they’re doing. I dropped off after Sutton Bridge Junction, and woke with a jolt as we went over the crossover at Craven Arms. There has been a 25-year old controversy raging in my family regarding the fact that I repeatedly slept for sections of the Central Wales line when on the 05:40 Swansea > Shrewsbury back in 1985, the only time I’d ever been over it. In an over-zealous application of line gricing rules, my father claimed that you need to be awake for a line to count (!), and that as I can’t remember which bits I slept over, I shouldn’t have ticked any of it off! Anyway, nearly three long hours later the 153 pulled into Llanelli with me having stayed awake all the way, and the quarter century of ‘discussion’ was finally brought to a close.

Got fish and chips in Llanelli and waited for the 13:18 to Milford Haven. Fellow forum member Ivo was on this, and we met up for the ride to Carmarthen. He wasn’t hard to find: just look for the passenger surrounded by pieces of paper with train times scrawled all over them. These 175s really are nice trains, and the 20 minute journey went in a blink. We had about ¾ hour to kill in Carmarthen, which I did by buying a Rail & Sail ticket to Dublin, and going to the Nationwide Building Society. We knew that our next move, the 14:22 to Cheltenham (13:30 off Fishguard) was booked a 150, but also that other units frequently dropped on it. We were speculating about what it might be when Ivo looked up and said “I don’t believe it!”. I looked up to see the unmistakable front end of a 143 in the distance. Fantastic! How had Canton known that West Yorkshire’s premier Pacer Veg would be out and about in South Wales that day? We took our seats on board 143609 to grice the Swansea District line in this most unsuitable traction for a run such as Fishguard > Cheltenham, and were treated to a trundle as far as Briton Ferry before the driver opened her up for an exhilarating run to Cardiff Central, reached 15 minutes early. Out of the barrier to get some grub, where my Carmarthen > Dublin ticket was rejected. The ticket man was also left scratching his head but let me out anyway.

57316 was on the 16:15 WAG train to Holyhead. This was pretty full, so we ended up sitting in the second TSO. We managed to get the bay to ourselves despite the number of passengers by talking loudly about trains and employing much basherspeak. The chap next to me gave up the will to live after about 5 minutes of this and moved on. Result! Track Basher was on board and joined us for the journey. Lots of fast running, as I suppose must be expected from a 57 with load four. We spent most of the time reminiscing about bashing in the 1980s, with conversation eventually focussing on the comings and goings at Carstairs and Mossend Yard. I’m afraid that a lot of this might have gone over the youngster Ivo’s head, so if he’s reading this, apologies for that! Ivo bailed at Abergavenny for a plus seven back to Newport, but Track Basher remained on to Shrewsbury. After he’d bailed I started to feel quite unwell. I had a headache and was suddenly exhausted, I then realised that I hadn’t had a drop to drink since that coffee at about quarter to five in the morning, and promptly broke open the carton of apple juice I’d been carrying all day. The only other liquid I had was two bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale, but the idea of drinking one of these in my state was horrifying. Here’s a recommendation: if you suddenly realise you haven’t drunk anything for over 13 hours, do not drink a pint of apple juice with indecent haste. Now feeling sick as well as exhausted with a thumping headache, I struggled to retain composure. A bellow leaving Crewe and Chester helped by getting some fresh air in the lungs, but eventually I had to give in and visit the toilet to be sick. I bailed at Llandudno Junction and piled into the Netto there one minute before it closed and bought paracetamol and water. I’d gulped down two tablets before I’d even crossed the threshold and began the process of feeling better.

I took a 175 on the 20:29 to Llandudno to kill some time. I took a walk along the grand, wide prom, where the sea air helped the recovery enormously. I was hugely impressed by Llandudno. While I had expected faded grandeur, what I found instead was a beautiful sweeping bay with the most elegant Victorian hotels all the way along. Hardly so much as a crack in the rendering on any of them, and the whole thing was tastefully illuminated and culminated in the dark forbidding bulk of the Great Orme. The last few hotels straggled along a steep road up the lower slopes of the head, and the whole effect brought to mind the South of France rather than the North Wales coast, the popular image of which is more windswept, desolate caravan parks, endemic poverty, and kiss-me-quick hats. Even more pleasing was that the whole effect continued well behind the front. Broad streets and wide sqaures full of prosperous looking shops with immaculate frontages and glasswork. None of the litter and dog turds that normally adorn the streets of British towns either. I went to Asda to get some provisions and found the sort of juvenile delinquents hanging around that are the more normal manifestation of British evening streetlife, but I headed back to the station with my good impression of the place largely intact. At the station I noticed the nice LMS ironwork on the gates, recently repainted, so the station was much in keeping with the rest of the place.

A 150 was forming the last train out of there, the 21:45 to Crewe. I rode to the Junction, where I changed for the 22:07 to Holyhead, the 19:10 Voyager off Euston. Arrived at Holyhead 6 early, which is bad news as who on Earth wants 6 extra minutes in Holyhead? I settled down with the I-Pod for a long, drawn out wait on the metal benches of pain in the terminal. A crowd of drunken Irish girls (with young kids in tow) were flirting noisily with some English louts en route to Dublin, and this racket was the aural accompaniment to the three hours or so of festering. Brilliant. Eventually the gates of Purgatory were opened ajar and we were let through to the next stage. Hardly Heaven, but a bus ride onto the boat at least meant that metal bench misery was over. I found a bench seat in a darkened corner and went straight to sleep, only to be awoken a few minutes later by a large crowd of noisy Russians who insisted on talking loudly and making a big racket. This selfish behaviour looked like it might go on all night, so I upped and left after about 20 minutes. Bring back Communism I say. I went to the next deck up, which was rather more brightly lit, but at least it was quiet. The crossing was very rough indeed, with the boat see-sawing up and down, making quite frightening grinding noises each time the hull crashed into the waves on the way down. Got to sleep though and woke up as the boat was docking at Dublin 15 minutes late.

Got put down by the complementary Stena bus at Connolly station and went to get breakfast. McDonald’s did the honours and I strolled back to Connolly to collect my advance purchase ticket for the 07:35 to Belfast. I met Drimnagh Road on the concourse and we rode north together behind Irish Rail loco 227. On arrival on time at Central we had 27 minutes to go and charge up the I Link cards for the day before the 10:12 to Carrickfergus. 453 rolled into platform 4 on time and off we went into EE Heaven. Thrash and clag a-plenty as she stormed over the viaduct to Yorkgate and beyond. We bailed at Trooperslane (station grice; sorry, shack scratch, for me) and crossed over the level crossing to take 455 southbound 3 minutes later as far as Whiteabbey. Over the bridge here for 452 on the 10:53 to Larne Harbour, taken as far as Downshire. A quick fill in move to a supermarket for rations before returning to the platform to see a 4-car 80 class unit emerging from Kilroot power station in the distance with the 11:27 to Central. Fantastic! This is why we were here, to get one last crack at this ancient and quirky train before its withdrawal, probably in the next few weeks. She rolled in and we bagged the bashers’ seats in leading power car 94. Off we went amid the customary din and clag. God this was good, and things don’t really get much better than this these days TBH. Carrickfergus, then Clipperstown, then….. disaster! Commencing the steep gradient from Clipperstown there came an alarming rumbling noise from 94, then silence. Got my head out and 94 definitely not working, with 90 struggling valiantly at the rear to shove this decrepit cavalcade up the hill. At Trooperslane the driver attempted to get 94 started again, culminating in a loud ringing, clanging sound that wasn’t the desired outcome at all. We then quickly relocated to the rear for the most awesome display of clag and racket I’ve experienced for many years. 90 was giving it all to move this train and frankly had the set been taken off at Central after only one go on it it would have been almost worth it just for this. 10 minutes late at Central where fitters were waiting, and whatever they did eventually resulted in a huge eruption of smoke and noise and 94 was back up and running. Out on time on the 12:12 to Carrickfergus, and all that remained was to stay with this set as long as I dared before my flight at 18:30 from Belfast City Airport. 12:12 to Carrick, 13:00 back to Central, 13:42 to Larne Harbour, 14:57 to Central. From here we started back out on the 16:12 to Larne Town, intending to bail at Jordanstown at 16:28 for a plus four back to Belfast. However, we were 2 down leaving and a large crowd waiting at Yorkgate ensured that we were 5 down leaving there. We decided to bail at Whiteabbey instead. On the train I ran into the father of a couple of my oldest friends, who for many years had been the treasurer of the RPSI. It’s a small world it seems. Only had chance for a brief chat before Whiteabbey, where it was time to leave an 80 class for the last time ever. We quickly ran up to the road overbridge to get a snap, and then watch as it clagged away. This was the end. The 80 class are my most special trains, that have been a part of my life (and I a very small part of theirs) throughout their existence. This was my Deltic Moment in fact. OK, Whiteabbey station’s dismal bus-type shelters on a mundane Tuesday afternoon are a far cry from Kings Cross on 2nd January 1982, with hundreds of enthusiasts present, grown men in tears and film crews on hand to record the scene, but to me it was every bit as special, every bit as poignant. A smartly executed flailing salute was given as she pulled out and disappeared from view.

782 appeared leading the 9 minutes late 16:32 to Great Victoria Street for the final thumper move of the day, and likely my final main line one ever. I had intended to take this through to GVS, returning with it to Central on the 17:06 to Larne Harbour for the 17:23 Bangor line stopper to Sydenham for the airport. However, the series of small farces that had been building all day seemed in danger of becoming a big farce resulting in my missing the 17:23 and being stuck in Northern Ireland. In terms of domestic fuss thus caused this couldn’t be contemplated under any circumstances. Man of Steel I ain’t when it comes to domestic harmony! I therefore bailed from 452 at Central in time for the 17:03 to Bangor to be on the safe side, getting a shot as it propelled its train round to GVS before boarding the cause of all this distress, a C3K CAF unit. Drimnagh Road stayed on board to GVS to get a quick visit to the Crown pub before taking the 18:10 back up to Dublin.

The ‘plane was actually 20 minutes early landing at LBA, and my wife collected me. We were able to get home to relieve my father in time to allow him to get the 20:10 train from Saltaire instead of the expected 20:40.

Many thanks to Ivo, Track Basher and Drimnagh Road whose welcome and enjoyable company turned a great trip into a superb one. This is the more welcome given that this year’s bashing schedule is very much in Limbo at the moment. A shot of 94 leaving Whiteabbey at the rear of the 16:12 Belfast Central > Larne Town, my last ever 80 class working, is attached below.

Attachments

• SDC11096.jpg
    SDC11096.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 42

Ivo

Established Member
A good read :)

How many people did you "txt" regarding that Pacer in the end? Was it just the two, or did you send it to anyone else? And did 142094 ever reply? :lol:

I'm guessing you didn't see sonic2009 at all then? I told him to stay with us, but I guess that doing so on Saturday night (on a First Class ALR remember) was bad enough. And what else did you and Track Basher talk about after I bailed?

Also, my connection at AGV was 12 minutes late. If it wasn't for the exceedingly slack timings at NWP (allowed to ensure that the shorter-distance FGW services have priority into CDF, in case anyone wishes to change to the 175), I would have missed my 158 home.

Good to hear the rest went well for the most part (barring the illness); it would be a shame if that was your last 80 though! I shall ensure that I take full advantage of any 80 running I can next month, when I finally cross the Irish Sea alone for the first time.

4SRKT

Established Member
I only texted my dad and 142094 about the pacer. He did respond in the end, with predictable enthusiasm. TB and me carried on reminiscing about the '80s after you'd bailed.

This will without question have been my last 80, and very possibly my last 450 as well. I've certainly treated it in that spirit. 24th June is now believed to be the last 80 class date, barring the complete failure and withdrawal of a 450 before then. NIR don't run 6 car sets in the peak during the summer holidays, and this will free up 2 C3K CAF sets before the first C4K set is expected to enter traffic during July. That will be curtains for the 80 class in that case.

strange6

Established Member
I only texted my dad and 142094 about the pacer. He did respond in the end, with predictable enthusiasm. TB and me carried on reminiscing about the '80s after you'd bailed.

This will without question have been my last 80, and very possibly my last 450 as well. I've certainly treated it in that spirit. 24th June is now believed to be the last 80 class date, barring the complete failure and withdrawal of a 450 before then. NIR don't run 6 car sets in the peak during the summer holidays, and this will free up 2 C3K CAF sets before the first C4K set is expected to enter traffic during July. That will be curtains for the 80 class in that case.

What a super account of your day that was; I really enjoyed reading that! Cheers

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I completely agree, I absolutely loved the read. I only wish I had been there, it sounds like it had been an absolute beast of a bash.

Loved the comment about using lots of basher speak in the TSO on the WAG-Ex, I must remember to use that next time I want a bay of seats to myself :lol:

That 143 from Carmarthen must have been quite the bonus for you, and I could picture major disappointment for Ivo :lol:

Thanks for sharing the tale of your excellent two days away 4SRKT :D

Ivo

Established Member
I completely agree, I absolutely loved the read. I only wish I had been there, it sounds like it had been an absolute beast of a bash.

Loved the comment about using lots of basher speak in the TSO on the WAG-Ex, I must remember to use that next time I want a bay of seats to myself :lol:

That 143 from Carmarthen must have been quite the bonus for you, and I could picture major disappointment for Ivo :lol:

Thanks for sharing the tale of your excellent two days away 4SRKT :D

Grr...! :lol: I'm not as anti-Pacer as I was 12 months ago. Having been down to Pembroke on one, I've learned that in the right circumstances they can be a joyous ride. All the while, there has been another unit that I have been disliking, and the escapades I've had with it in the similar time frame (i.e. the last six to eight weeks) have done it no favours. I refer of course to the 323 - my new most-disliked unit. Also, has anyone ever actually seen a Pacer at Cheltenham before now? After all, that's where it would have ended up!

I have to say though, as 4SRKT suggests most of what was said when straight over my head. I don't mind and in fact quite enjoy people reminiscing, but it does help when I can understand what is being said! If only sonic had sat with us and not wandered off to First Class; we could have had a similar talk as well - and maybe given an interesting old vs new discussion?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
142s and 143s end up in Cheltenham very, very regularly Ivo. Certainly not rare to see an ATW example of either, although FGW examples are certainly much rarer, particularly north of Cheltenham.

If you would like proof of a Pacer at Cheltenham, I can soon find photo evidence!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
waw! Great entertainment on my way to work! Ivo, whats your hangup with 323s? Apart from the uncumfortable seats on the lm units (not used a northern one to compare) a think there good, particularly the fabby traction motor noises!

4SRKT, you adventures in ni have really made me drule, have never used any of that traction and apart from what may survive in preservation never will! try not to read paser bashing reports too much as we have none here and think personally there grand! *looks at diary to identify time for a trip to northern teritory, then consults bank account and changes mind*

must also agree with your past comments on scotrail 170s which despite being a newby i have searched for and read. They are good units but not on a journey of 2 hours plus! the x hul trains buffet sets are a bit better, with a few more plugs but stil inappropriate for the likes of an inverness service.

Hate them as I do, units such as 185s would be better for inverness and aberdeen runs. Failing that, hauled mk2 or mk3 coaches please!

Going to catch up with an old school friend in Orkney in a cupple of weeks and rather than going both ways on the aberdeen ferry am using it as an excuse to bash the far north line to Thurso which iv never done north of Dingwall, before getting the ferry from scrabster. am quite looking forward to the refurbed 158 from inverness and all that lovley jointed track. Just a pitty about the 170 slog up from edinburgh!

Finally, all the best to your wife!

sprinterguy

Established Member
142s and 143s end up in Cheltenham very, very regularly Ivo. Certainly not rare to see an ATW example of either, although FGW examples are certainly much rarer, particularly north of Cheltenham.

:shock: They do? I’ll have to keep a look out next time I’m knocking around Cheltenham. It’s always 150s and 158s as the typical fare when I’m passing through. I’d be quite interested to see a Pacer in Cheltenham, I didn’t realise they made it up that way at all, let alone regularly!

I can’t find one fault with 323s. IMO, they’re an absolutely perfect suburban/commuter EMU. I flippin’ love ‘em, and the seats are much better than those in LMs’ 150s, IMO.

Yet another cracking read 4SRKT, I hope that your wife’s current unfortunate predicament can be resolved happily, and we can have some more entertaining reports to read in the future.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Cheers folks. Only non-work related move I've got pencilled in is an RPSI tour on Friday 9th September with an 071 from Dublin to Cobh and Midleton. Should be totally hellfire (and probably pretty cheap), and well past any operation and recuperation period for my wife.

At this stage planned route is AP to the Cross, then Rail & Sail on the 16:30 67 off Marylebone, proceding from Brum to Holyhead for more metal bench misery. Homeward on another Rail & Sail on Friday night straight back to Shipley. No WAG on Saturday morning so will just get the first move off Holyhead.

As I've posted on another thread, somewhat controversially in the International folder (!), if anyone wants any assistance in getting to NI in the next few weeks, I've got all the gen. PM me if necessary.

Ivo

Established Member
If you would like proof of a Pacer at Cheltenham, I can soon find photo evidence!

Off you go then ;)

waw! Great entertainment on my way to work! Ivo, whats your hangup with 323s? Apart from the uncumfortable seats on the lm units (not used a northern one to compare) a think there good, particularly the fabby traction motor noises!

Those "motor noises" you refer to are wee-ird. The seats are horrible (as you say). the floors are loose, the toilets never work, the interior designs are horrible, and so on. I will admit that LM don't help their cause, that the area doesn't help their cause, and that I have never used a Northern one, but of all units I use at least semi-regularly, the 323 comes dead last. Even the 142 (which is behind the 143 by some distance) is ahead of it now. I am of course open to change, so if I use a Northern one and they feel excellent, then fair enough. But for now, the only decent thing about a 323 is its front end, which isn't half bad by pre-privatisation standards.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Those "motor noises" you refer to are wee-ird. The seats are horrible (as you say). the floors are loose, the toilets never work, the interior designs are horrible, and so on. I will admit that LM don't help their cause, that the area doesn't help their cause, and that I have never used a Northern one, but of all units I use at least semi-regularly, the 323 comes dead last. Even the 142 (which is behind the 143 by some distance) is ahead of it now. I am of course open to change, so if I use a Northern one and they feel excellent, then fair enough. But for now, the only decent thing about a 323 is its front end, which isn't half bad by pre-privatisation standards.

I shall now come to the defence of my beloved 323s: :D

The motor noises are great, I love the range of tones; it makes for quite a comical sound. I’ve never been on a LM 323 where the toilet has been out of use, and I’d say I travel on the Cross-city line more often than any of the other local Birmingham suburban routes, and it often seems to be the case that I’ve had a few ales or ciders when I’m on the cross-city line, so I would know ;): Either I’ve been very fortunate, or you’ve been very unfortunate in your experiences with 323s. The toilets are usually (they have their bad days too) quite clean as well in my experience.

I like the seats: They’re firm but not uncomfortable IMO, and at just the right height above floor level for a 5’ 11” fella such as myself to sit comfortably in, unlike the seats on the LM 150s. I also like their design because there’s not much to their structure, so they leave plenty of space for the passengers while still providing a good number of seats per carriage!

I don’t think I’ve come across loose floors very often, and I like the interiors. Rather weirdly, even my missus, who has no interest in trains beyond them getting her where she wants to be on time, has pointed out the pattern design on the seat fabric as quite pleasing to look at, when I thought it was just me who had such a peculiar fondness for the design.

The lighting is at just the right level, during the day the carriages feel light and airy, and at night, providing that you’re in a fairly quiet carriage, the effect is quite relaxing.

So there you have it. I will not stand by while my much favoured suburban EMU is derided. ;) <D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i'm sure 4SRKT doesnt want his blog crashed by a 323 debate, so am going to start a 'good/bad points about class 323s' thread, with that name, in traction and rolling stock. Come join me ivo, sprinterguy and friends!

sprinterguy

Established Member
i'm sure 4SRKT doesnt want his blog crashed by a 323 debate, so am going to start a 'good/bad points about class 323s' thread, with that name, in traction and rolling stock. Come join me ivo, sprinterguy and friends!
I am preparing my defences already...<D

Chester025

Yeah apart from the fact that it makes you look like an idiot! Anyway never mind that, a good little tale there, did you spy any CAFs on the Larne line?

Drimnagh Road

I assume it was 8458 that was at Central when you alighted, the one we should have passed at Yorkgate.

8457 was at GVS for the 17:25 Larne.

4SRKT

Established Member
I assume it was 8458 that was at Central when you alighted, the one we should have passed at Yorkgate.

8457 was at GVS for the 17:25 Larne.

[The hellfire] 458 was in platform 4 on the 16:59 to Carrick (16:48 off GVS). We didn't see the 16:42 that we should have passed at Yorkgate anywhere, so I assume it must have been caped. 457 is the set with the power unit out of crash damaged 80 class no 88, rather than from a 70 class, and I think we didn't see it at all earlier in the day.

and what are all these lovley new units like by the way? They'll never beat what they replaced i'll bet

They're nice enough as trains go, from a normal's POV. Just bland beyond belief. The DEMUs will be sorely missed by enthusiasts, but totally unmourned by normals and NIR management, for whom they must be a huge headache.

Last edited:

Established Member

Must be like getting a 142 on a Blackpool North working. I'll do it one day even if it kills me.

Status
Not open for further replies.