• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube map challange 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

adie fleming

Hi,

I am in the very early stages of organising a charity event aimed at visiting as many stations that appear on TFL's standard tube map in one day. I am wondering if anyone with any experience of this challange would be kind enough to give up some of their time and prepare a route for us. I am raising money for the Bi Polar Organisation a mental health charity. The event is hoped to take place mid september.

Many thanks to anyone who can help....

Oh my nearest connection is woolwich Arsenal DLR but would be prepared to stay overnight near a better starting point.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If you aim to finish the network in a day, you might want to aim at starting near the NW corner and time your first few moves around there. Trains to Amersham and Chesham are both half-hourly weekdays so need planning. People going for the Guinness World Record all seem to be starting there. Some outer termini will be faster connected by bus, eg. Morden - Wimbledon on the 93.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also see this thread.

adie fleming

Thanks very much I will definitely bear that in mind thinking of using traveline to connect between termini when faster.

Ivo

Established Member
Although you cannot send PMs until you have made five posts, this guy should be able to help. This is Andi James, the world record holder for the Challenge.

adie fleming

Wow his help, if he was prepared too, would be invaluable for this challenge. To be honest dont think we'll be breaking any records but to complete the challenge would be a massive achievement for all of us.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks very much I will definitely bear that in mind thinking of using traveline to connect between termini when faster.

Use the area bus maps. They are PDF files at the bottom of this page.

If you need hard copies, they can be obtained free of charge at Tube stations, however some might not stock many copies so they can run out. Alternatively TfL travel centres at places like Victoria and Euston mainline stations, to name two, should have plenty of stock. If you can't get into London before the challenge, let us know and I'm sure people will be happy to send you a copy.

adie fleming

Thank you so much this is very valuable information and will help greatly, have ordered loads of ink for my printer so I can print out copies for the people taking part so should be ok

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thank you so much this is very valuable information and will help greatly, have ordered loads of ink for my printer so I can print out copies for the people taking part so should be ok

You printing out bus maps? :shock:

Don't cos they're massive. You won't be able to read them anyway if printed on A4.

adie fleming

ok thanks will badger TFL for them
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok....this is the challange that we have set ourselves.. we want to visit as many stations as possible from opening time to closing time on september 14 2011 and are to include the london overground as appears on the standard tube map and DLR. The event is to take place for charity and we are not about breaking records (we'll leave that to the experts) but we really could do with the expertise of you regular challengers in devising a route. In theory the route can start and finish anywhere on the map. Honestly any help that can be given would be very greatfully recieved.....

Tubester

Although you cannot send PMs until you have made five posts, this guy should be able to help. This is Andi James, the world record holder for the Challenge.

If you need any advice you are also most welcome to contact me:D

Only just stumbled across this thread Adele i be very happy to help there is a also better way especially if u r not going for the world record.That is to start at Chesham and finish at Amersham first train out of chesham is 05.19 and last is i think the 01.25 at amersham giving u about 20h for the full network which should be enough.

Without giving any secrets away here are a few bus numbers that are helpful to link up ends of lines

Edgware-Stanmore or Canons park bus 79,186,340 or 142
High Barnet - Cockfosters 384 or 307
Wimbledon - South Wimbledon or Morden 93,59,131,219

Status
Not open for further replies.