RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Closed Thread

Old 24th February 2012, 19:57   #61
calc7
InterCity
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvboy View Post
VT don't care - they get the money regardless. XC should care because they don't get any money from Virgin Only tickets.
The point I was trying to make only you put it much better.
Sponsored links - Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 24th February 2012, 21:40   #62
sheff1
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calc7 View Post
I am at Wolverhampton at the moment waiting on the 1845 to Euston to leave. The fact that Virgin and XC both operate Voyagers, often within minutes of each other, doesn't help matters. And, as already mentioned, Virgin used to operate those XC Voyagers!
And, due to Mr Branson's hype, many people think Voyagers = Virgin Voyagers. Add in the fact that trains are announced as 'the cross country voyager to xxx' (you never hear 'the class 170 to xxx'), people understandably believe it is a Virgin train which just happens to be running across country rather than to/from London.
Old 24th February 2012, 21:44   #63
calc7
InterCity
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff1 View Post
And, due to Mr Branson's hype, many people think Voyagers = Virgin Voyagers. Add in the fact that trains are announced as 'the cross country voyager to xxx' (you never hear 'the class 170 to xxx'), people understandably believe it is a Virgin train which just happens to be running across country rather than to/from London.
Exactly! I am well-versed with everything train-related on the WCML, but I did have a double-take when a Virgin Voyager left WVH P4 and was followed by an XC Voyager within seconds (and immediately thought of this thread )
Old 24th February 2012, 22:54   #64
kwvr45
Gripping in the North
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
This is actually the correct advice. Local instructions are that passengers from Blackpool North or South can use tickets to and from either station. This is not advertised anywhere.

I work to BPN occasionally, and have been doing so for a few years, and there most certainly isn't an official "local instruction" (and if there is, it isn't one that has ever been posted at my depot). There may be lot of leniency shown by train and station staff towards the matter, but officially they are only valid to the named stations. I asked the relevant higher authorities / management about it once and I was told that a BPS ticket was not valid to BPN and vice versa.

Personally I think the tickets should be to Blackpool Stations, but that debate is for a different thread.

Old 24th February 2012, 23:51   #65
dvboy
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheff1 View Post
You never hear the class or type of train at all unless it's a Virgin service for some reason (both automated announcements at Birmingham New Street and personal ones at Wolverhampton).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by calc7 View Post
Exactly! I am well-versed with everything train-related on the WCML, but I did have a double-take when a Virgin Voyager left WVH P4 and was followed by an XC Voyager within seconds (and immediately thought of this thread )
The VT xx:32 Voyager must have been late then as usually there's an LM service from platform 3 in between at xx:37, though the xx:41 XC Voyager is immediately followed by the xx:45 VT service from platform 2 (the exception being when the xx:32 forms the xx:45).

Last edited by dvboy; 24th February 2012 at 23:51. Reason: Double post prevention system
Closed Thread