RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation

Old 9th September 2017, 13:05   #211
torten

Very nice pictures. It will be nice to see an interconnected Great Central Railway in a year or so time.

What the initial plans for operation? Obviously, you will have the reopening train up to Ruddington, but given
a)The fact the line can't be used weekdays
b)The fact it is single track and has less infrastructure
Will the Great Central continue to operate as two Railways for the next 2-3 years?
torten is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th September 2017, 20:14   #212
Monty
Tail Lamp
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torten View Post
Very nice pictures. It will be nice to see an interconnected Great Central Railway in a year or so time.

What the initial plans for operation? Obviously, you will have the reopening train up to Ruddington, but given
a)The fact the line can't be used weekdays
b)The fact it is single track and has less infrastructure
Will the Great Central continue to operate as two Railways for the next 2-3 years?
The GCR(N) section is going to need massive amounts of work doing to it if it's to ever be brought up to the same standard as the GCR (Leicester), there's only one station ircc (and it's no more than a halt) and virtually no signalling. I'd argue it's a bigger task than the bridge.
Old 10th September 2017, 07:48   #213
kevjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
there's only one station ircc (and it's no more than a halt)
There are two - Rushcliffe Halt (original GCR Island Platform) at East Leake and Ruddington Fields.

Aside from Ruddington and East Leake there's nowt but fields north of Loughbourgh for the 16km it runs...
kevjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 10:22   #214
Ploughman
Established Member

Any more work on the bridge last night?
Old 10th September 2017, 13:25   #215
nottsnurse

Doesn't the layout of the GCR(N) make is a little impratical to run through services from Loughborough and beyond?

It's a shame the GCR(N) doesn't have a station at the old Ruddington Station site, rather than having to negotiate that curve back into Ruddington Fields.
nottsnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 17:20   #216
duffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottsnurse View Post
It's a shame the GCR(N) doesn't have a station at the old Ruddington Station site, rather than having to negotiate that curve back into Ruddington Fields.
I've seen plans to extend north and build a new station near Ruddington Lane tram stop (with a slight diversion from the original trackbed to avoid the Site of Special Scientific Interest)
duffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 17:40   #217
theageofthetra
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
The GCR(N) section is going to need massive amounts of work doing to it if it's to ever be brought up to the same standard as the GCR (Leicester), there's only one station ircc (and it's no more than a halt) and virtually no signalling. I'd argue it's a bigger task than the bridge.
Why can't it be used on weekdays
theageofthetra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 18:49   #218
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theageofthetra View Post
Why can't it be used on weekdays
I assume it is a reference to the gypsum traffic to Hotchley Hill.
Old 11th September 2017, 21:45   #219
Mogulb

Default GCR Bridge Project

Work will resume on the bridge itself on the 23/24 Sept and the three following weekends to install the crossbeams and decking. This is only possible with full line possessions.
Mogulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 17:32   #220
Flying Phil

Well I returned from holiday and caught up with the posts on here. There has been a great coverage of the GC Bridge - many thanks to all the posters for keeping it up to date.
Needless to say I have been over to see the two beams in place and they look stunning. The GC reunification is now truly "future - proofed".

There were only a couple of workers on the North site and no sign of the decking sections - presumably they will only need a smaller crane to get them in position later this month?
As was discussed earlier in this thread, the "Gap Project" may well have a bit of a hiatus once the bridge is finished and blue bricks built round the abutments. The next priority for the GC must be getting the "Main Line" museum built at Leicester North as that will have lottery funding time constraints.
Flying Phil is offline   Reply With Quote