RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 9th July 2017, 13:37   #1
SpacePhoenix
Established Member
 
Join Date: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 5,168
Default Isle of Wight Railway - Island Steam Show - Which Field(s)?

Looking at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's Haven Street station on Google Earth, which fields do they use for their Island Steam Show? I'm just trying to get an idea of how big the Island Steam Show so work out if it's worth going with travel time and cost of train/ferry fares factored in
SpacePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th July 2017, 15:34   #2
Firesprite
Member
 
Join Date: 22 Dec 2011
Location: Fens
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
Looking at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's Haven Street station on Google Earth, which fields do they use for their Island Steam Show? I'm just trying to get an idea of how big the Island Steam Show so work out if it's worth going with travel time and cost of train/ferry fares factored in
The field between the main shed and Combley road is the one used before.
Firesprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 16:17   #3
Chris125
Established Member
 
Chris125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Nov 2009
Posts: 2,001
Default

They predominantly use the large show field on the eastern (station building/cafe/bird of prey centre) side though there are exhibits scattered throughout the site and quite possibly in the overflow carpark field to the west.

With a variety of stuff going on in the arena and a two train service there's plenty to look at in my experience, I highly recommend it.
Chris125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 16:33   #4
SpacePhoenix
Established Member
 
Join Date: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 5,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris125 View Post
They predominantly use the large show field on the eastern (station building/cafe/bird of prey centre) side though there are exhibits scattered throughout the site and quite possibly in the overflow carpark field to the west.

With a variety of stuff going on in the arena and a two train service there's plenty to look at in my experience, I highly recommend it.
Will there likely be a shuttle bus to the nearest Island Line station (not Smallbrook Junction) as afaik only 1 maybe 2 Island Line trains call at Smallbrook Junction after the last steam train arrives
SpacePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 11:03   #5
Chris125
Established Member
 
Chris125's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12 Nov 2009
Posts: 2,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
Will there likely be a shuttle bus to the nearest Island Line station (not Smallbrook Junction) as afaik only 1 maybe 2 Island Line trains call at Smallbrook Junction after the last steam train arrives
I'm not aware of one, they do run later on Steam Show days though with the last train for Smallbrook departing Havenstreet at six.
Chris125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 22:16   #6
cav1975
Member
 
Join Date: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
Will there likely be a shuttle bus to the nearest Island Line station (not Smallbrook Junction) as afaik only 1 maybe 2 Island Line trains call at Smallbrook Junction after the last steam train arrives
For all special events on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, including this one, arrangements are made with Island Line for additional up and down electric trains to stop at Smallbrook Junction. Generally this is all Island Line trains from start of IWSR services until just after the end of IWSR services allowing visitors to come and go at a time convenient to them.

We have not had any incidents of people being stranded there.
cav1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 06:52   #7
SpacePhoenix
Established Member
 
Join Date: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 5,168
Default

Will the Island Liner tickets be valid on the steam railway when the steam show is on?
SpacePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 23:13   #8
cav1975
Member
 
Join Date: 24 Sep 2010
Posts: 132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
Will the Island Liner tickets be valid on the steam railway when the steam show is on?
Yes, they will be
cav1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 08:08   #9
SpacePhoenix
Established Member
 
Join Date: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 5,168
Default

I just hope that it's dry weather when it's on. When I visited the IoW steam railway a few years ago it was raining so hard that 5-10 mins in the open would be enough to be soaked to the skin
SpacePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:34.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2017