RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Traction & Rolling Stock

Old 13th April 2017, 11:49   #406
Bromley boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOban View Post
What would happen if a driver who develops post traumatic stress sues the train company for failing to prevent a highly foreseeable event - orders of magnitude more frequent than many of the scenarios described in other posts?
I don't think this would get anywhere.

It may be forseeable but it's difficult to see how it can ever be prevented. Plus there is of course a causation issue of a suicide/someone being pushed in front of a train being caused by the actions of a third party. It's difficult to see how emotional trauma to a driver resulting from someone choosing to jump off a platform/bridge in front of a train can be cast as a breach of a duty owed by a TOC to an employee.

Where most TOCs also cover themselves here is also in enrsuring they have a rigorous care/wellbeing system in place. Drivers at my place are offered counselling and a period off track, although eventually that driver must of course decide if they wish to continue driving or not and either return to duty or apply for other vacancies internally.

I think most drivers are aware that they will, sadly, be likely to experience a fatality at some point in their careers if they do the job for long enough. What is unknown, of course, is how any given individual may be affected.

EDIT: of course another complicating factor is that it is Network Rail infrastructure that these events happen on. TOC's, although they employ drivers and pay fees to NR, have no control over bridges, station infrastructure, foot crossings etc. over which they run trains.

Last edited by Bromley boy; 13th April 2017 at 14:48.
Bromley boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 13th April 2017, 12:33   #407
gsnedders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedown View Post
But line of sight sensing isn't good enough on the open railway.
It's worth remembering that most driverless cars already do better than line-of-sight, by using radar and potentially sonar as well: both of these can see through certain obstacles, so something hiding behind a bush could easily be detected before a human could see it.

It's important to remember that even purely train-mounted systems have the ability to see things human's eyes cannot; the difficulty in matching human drivers is primarily in working out on what pieces of data to act on.
gsnedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 21:22   #408
Kneedown
Driver Instructor
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnedders View Post
It's worth remembering that most driverless cars already do better than line-of-sight, by using radar and potentially sonar as well: both of these can see through certain obstacles, so something hiding behind a bush could easily be detected before a human could see it.
Ok then, for "bush", substitute "Concrete block". Radar is not infallible as any air traffic controller will tell you. It returns an echo, and it is up to a computer or person to make sense of it. Weather and atmospheric conditions affect radar's performance.
At the end of the day, all the sensors you can think of can be fitted to a train, but a computer must work out the correct action, and that computer has to be reliable, quick, and get it right. With my experiences of todays computers I remain sceptical for the time being.
Old 22nd April 2017, 21:34   #409
InOban

Just been reading a report of a meeting on ATO in Rail Engineer. Apparently the core section of Thameslink, which will have 24tph, will not operate reliably without the consistency delivered by ATO.
InOban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:23   #410
NSEFAN
public class WES:REP
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOban View Post
Just been reading a report of a meeting on ATO in Rail Engineer. Apparently the core section of Thameslink, which will have 24tph, will not operate reliably without the consistency delivered by ATO.
I've heard that trains which are more than 90 seconds late won't be allowed to enter the core section...
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:04   #411
philthetube

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSEFAN View Post
I've heard that trains which are more than 90 seconds late won't be allowed to enter the core section...
Sounds fun, do the following ones sit behind the late one?
philthetube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:19   #412
NSEFAN
public class WES:REP
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthetube View Post
Sounds fun, do the following ones sit behind the late one?
No, the late services would be turned around in their respective terminii. I'm not quite sure why it's not acceptable to just send the trains through the core first-come-first served given it's supposed to be a turn-up-and-go service, unless there really is no padding in the schedules to absorb all 2 minutes of delay to the train behind.