RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Railway History & Nostalgia

Old 15th July 2017, 20:31   #31
341o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamybrian View Post
If you mean the Hamworthy Goods branch to Poole Harbour then it carried passengers 1847-1896.
I did, and these were suggestions. So Poole harbour can be deleted

Likewise "cheeswring" because this was on the route of the Liskeard and Caradon railway. Excursions (horsedrawn) were made to the Cheesewring. The L&C was closed in 1917 and the rails lifted for the war effort, although the GWR continued to pay wayleaves to the Duchy of Cornwall until the 1930's. Legal abandonment took place in 1931
341o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 16th July 2017, 18:41   #32
Taunton
Established Member

The ex-Midland Dudding Hill Line, from Cricklewood to Acton, appears to be a substantial double track line that never had a mainstream passenger service - various summer holiday services, etc, but nothing permanent.

I don't think there's ever been a regular passenger service over either the Barking or the Bletchley flyovers, which with their various approach lines are quite a length.

Last edited by Taunton; 16th July 2017 at 18:42.
Taunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 19:46   #33
ChiefPlanner
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
The ex-Midland Dudding Hill Line, from Cricklewood to Acton, appears to be a substantial double track line that never had a mainstream passenger service - various summer holiday services, etc, but nothing permanent.

I don't think there's ever been a regular passenger service over either the Barking or the Bletchley flyovers, which with their various approach lines are quite a length.
Dudding Hill Line did have regular services to Victoria ( Via Earls Court) - withdrawn in 1916 to clear track space for military workings to the South Coast.
ChiefPlanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 21:31   #34
RichmondCommu
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefPlanner View Post
Dudding Hill Line did have regular services to Victoria ( Via Earls Court) - withdrawn in 1916 to clear track space for military workings to the South Coast.
Joe Browns excellent London Railway Atlas suggests there were two stations on the line; Dudding Hill For Willesden And Neasden and Harlesden For West Willesden And Stonebridge Park. Both stations opened on the 3rd August 1875 and closed on the 1st October 1902.
RichmondCommu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 22:13   #35
MP33

The Great Eastern Railway had another branch a short one to Snape.

A member of the Great Eastern Railway Society has done research and identified a number of temporary freight lines that were built in the fens. The flat topography made it easy to put something in for harvest time.
MP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 20:27   #36
John Luxton

Here is obscure one - St Michael's Mount - Cornwall.

Cable hauled mainly underground which links the Harbour to the Castle.

John
John Luxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 21:38   #37
341o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luxton View Post
Here is obscure one - St Michael's Mount - Cornwall.

Cable hauled mainly underground which links the Harbour to the Castle.

John
Must look up my old slides, the harbour is on the Mount and the line is indeed used to lift supplies brought by boat to the castle. The only other access it has is a pedestrian causeway which is tidal
341o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 09:44   #38
bishdunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 341o2 View Post
I did, and these were suggestions. So Poole harbour can be deleted

Likewise "cheeswring" because this was on the route of the Liskeard and Caradon railway. Excursions (horsedrawn) were made to the Cheesewring. The L&C was closed in 1917 and the rails lifted for the war effort, although the GWR continued to pay wayleaves to the Duchy of Cornwall until the 1930's. Legal abandonment took place in 1931
There was indeed a branch to Poole quay, it left Poole station alongside the down platform and ran as a tramway through the streets for approx. 1 mile to the quay, usually worked by a B4 tank loco (with a bicycle hung on the lamp brackets for the travelling shunter!). As far as I am aware there was never any passenger traffic. Another curiosity was an aerial ropeway that ran from the quay about half a mile through the back streets and behind the terraced houses, carrying coal to the gasworks alongside the main line near the High Street level crossing. I well remember ladies in their back gardens using their clothes props to rock the tubs as they passed by to get a few lumps of coal to fall out to be collected for domestic use !
bishdunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 17:26   #39
2HAP

Maidstone West to Tovil Goods, all 21 chains of it. The only part of the Headcorn and Maidstone Junction Light Railway ever constructed (K&ESR extension to Maidstone).

Last edited by 2HAP; 27th July 2017 at 17:27. Reason: insert space between words
2HAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 19:23   #40
ChiefPlanner
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondCommu View Post
Joe Browns excellent London Railway Atlas suggests there were two stations on the line; Dudding Hill For Willesden And Neasden and Harlesden For West Willesden And Stonebridge Park. Both stations opened on the 3rd August 1875 and closed on the 1st October 1902.
Traces of them still there - walked the route way back in the 1990's for work reasons - (the amount of stolen purses and wallets we found under bridges was worryingly high (money taken and flung over bridge parapets from the street) - we safely picked them up and handed them into the BTP , who were able to return them to their owners as there were driving licences / library cards etc in them)
ChiefPlanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 00:37   #41
racyrich

The Hertford North to Hertford East link never had a through service, though I should say that the original Hertford North GN terminal station for Welwyn branch trains was halfway along the link.
racyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 01:59   #42
tsr
"...will be diverted..."
Established Member

Location: Approximately 16 minutes away from where I was scheduled to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamybrian View Post
Can I mention the London "Post Office Tube Railway" which will open soon and carry passengers for the first time..!
You mean the Post Office Railway, or Mail Rail. There exists many a tale of passengers riding on the mail wagons - chiefly staff or their relations. I seem to remember there was even mention of there having been a Santa Special at one point.
Old 4th August 2017, 23:39   #43
Harbornite
On Moderation

One example I can think of is the Mitchells and Butlers branch in Cape Hill Smethwick. It was basically a glorified siding, approximately 0.25 miles long, that connected the sidings of the M&B brewery to a junction with the Harborne branch at Rotton Park Road. The branch was only served by M&B's own locos, although a BR owned pug was briefly hired by the brewery. Closure came in 1962; to my knowledge, no passenger trains or railtours ever visited the brewery.
Harbornite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 23:32   #44
MarcusL1

I'm not quite sure if this is correct, but I think the Newtown Goods line that ran to Huddersfield which branched off from a junction near Mirfield is one of those lines
MarcusL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 19:25   #45
bramling
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusL1 View Post
I'm not quite sure if this is correct, but I think the Newtown Goods line that ran to Huddersfield which branched off from a junction near Mirfield is one of those lines
Yes, and one can also include the Midland route from Royston & Notton up to Dewsbury Savile Town, although it did include two stations which were built but never used.
bramling is offline   Reply With Quote