RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railway Jobs & Careers

Old 7th August 2017, 20:11   #826
godfreycomplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasbrisas View Post
Really, I would have thought Basingstoke would have been the sensible option. I hope that's where they send me as I will be based in Surrey but I haven't had any details yet.
Basingstoke is much smaller in terms of number of trainers e.t.c. so run considerably fewer courses than York.
I'm also based in Surrey and going up to York every week really isn't as bad as it seems
Enquiries were on-going into setting up a signalling school in Bristol but I'm not sure how far that got. A couple of folk from Cornwall were on my course; and it was hard pounding for them schlepping up every week; but I suppose living around there people must get used to long journeys
Hope the first day went well for all new starters

Last edited by godfreycomplex; 7th August 2017 at 20:12.
godfreycomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 7th August 2017, 20:30   #827
Lasbrisas

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreycomplex View Post
Basingstoke is much smaller in terms of number of trainers e.t.c. so run considerably fewer courses than York.
I'm also based in Surrey and going up to York every week really isn't as bad as it seems
Enquiries were on-going into setting up a signalling school in Bristol but I'm not sure how far that got. A couple of folk from Cornwall were on my course; and it was hard pounding for them schlepping up every week; but I suppose living around there people must get used to long journeys
Hope the first day went well for all new starters
Ok thanks for the heads up ! Was there any choice in the matter as I was rather hoping to commute rather than staying there as I am only 20 miles from Basingstoke.
Lasbrisas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 13:11   #828
godfreycomplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasbrisas View Post
Ok thanks for the heads up ! Was there any choice in the matter as I was rather hoping to commute rather than staying there as I am only 20 miles from Basingstoke.
Not particularly; you'll go wherever there's a course available unfortunately
Having said that; even if you are in Basingstoke I would strongly encourage you to take the hotel; purely for the fact that you and the other people on the course will be able to support each other face-to-face with any topics that you may find difficult during the evenings. A whatsapp group or similar is no substitute to face-to-face in this case I'm afraid.
godfreycomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 00:47   #829
BRblue

Quote:
Having said that; even if you are in Basingstoke I would strongly encourage you to take the hotel; purely for the fact that you and the other people on the course will be able to support each other face-to-face with any topics that you may find difficult during the evenings. A whatsapp group or similar is no substitute to face-to-face in this case I'm afraid.
This 100%
BRblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 23:30   #830
Lasbrisas

Quote:
Ok thanks for the advice.
Lasbrisas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 15:39   #831
linnet_ranger

Hi all,

Been lurking for a week or two and found this thread to be of particular interest. I've just applied for the Grade 5 Signaller post at Bognor Regis.

So far, passed my online tests and now at "Test Completed". Fingers crossed this changes to something more positive in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your useful info on here.
linnet_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 09:23   #832
Sinistah

Mine has been sitting at application under consideration after test completed since late July. Is that a good sign or does it actually have to say application under consideration for assessment 2 to be positive?
Sinistah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 12:50   #833
Cavan

Does a grade 6 lone manned nx panel have a high workload? Thinking specifically of arundel panel.
Cavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 16:22   #834
Sunset route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavan View Post
Does a grade 6 lone manned nx panel have a high workload? Thinking specifically of arundel panel.
I would say yes looking at the level of train service, junction working and the CCTV crossings.
Old 12th August 2017, 16:35   #835
linnet_ranger

I live very near to Arundel Junction and it has a lot of movement. It connects the Littlehampton branch line and the Arun Valley line to the South Coast line. It's pretty busy.
There is a Grade 6 relief vacancy for Arundel currently being advertised.

Am fascinated that the Bognor section is still so mechanical. Makes it all the more appealing.
Old 12th August 2017, 18:30   #836
Cavan

Is a grade 5 lever frame more challenging than a grade 6 nx panel?
Cavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 20:22   #837
signallerscot

How long is a piece of string? And are apples the same as oranges?
signallerscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 06:30   #838
linnet_ranger

I read on another website last night that the Bognor box is scheduled to close in 2018 and for control to transfer to Three Bridges. Can anyone confirm if this is still the intention?

To be fair, same website said that Arundel was scheduled to close in 2016 but clearly it hasn't.

Last edited by linnet_ranger; 13th August 2017 at 06:33.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:00   #839
Sunset route

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnet_ranger View Post
I read on another website last night that the Bognor box is scheduled to close in 2018 and for control to transfer to Three Bridges. Can anyone confirm if this is still the intention?

To be fair, same website said that Arundel was scheduled to close in 2016 but clearly it hasn't.
The migration plan is well behind schedule and is subject to change as to what is going to move and when. There only current rumours regarding Bognor is that there might be a Sub ROC at Barnham, next weeks rumour is likely altogether very different.

Last edited by Sunset route; 13th August 2017 at 09:01.
Sunset route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 09:26   #840
linnet_ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset route View Post
The migration plan is well behind schedule and is subject to change as to what is going to move and when. There only current rumours regarding Bognor is that there might be a Sub ROC at Barnham, next weeks rumour is likely altogether very different.
Thanks Sunset. Appreciate your input. If I am lucky enough to get to interview I will certainly ask about the long term viability of the box. It's still something I am really keen to pursue.