RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Traction & Rolling Stock

Old Today, 09:41   #946
Deepgreen
Established Member

I saw a pair of 707s passing through the carriage wash road (not in operation) at Clapham just now - I was very surprised and a little alarmed to note that it was proceeding with red lights at the front - I would have thought this should be impossible. Clearly I was wrong.
Deepgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old Today, 09:52   #947
spark001uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepgreen View Post
I saw a pair of 707s passing through the carriage wash road (not in operation) at Clapham just now - I was very surprised and a little alarmed to note that it was proceeding with red lights at the front - I would have thought this should be impossible. Clearly I was wrong.
I got on a 458 the other day, after knocking on the driver's window and telling him he'd left his reds on!
spark001uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:54   #948
GW43125

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark001uk View Post
I got on a 458 the other day, after knocking on the driver's window and telling him he'd left his reds on!
I once witnessed staff calling to get a train stopped at the next stop (Hampden Park) because he'd just left Eastbourne with reds on the front!
GW43125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:58   #949
spark001uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW43125 View Post
I once witnessed staff calling to get a train stopped at the next stop (Hampden Park) because he'd just left Eastbourne with reds on the front!
Couldn't they just call the signalman to contact him on the GSM-R.?
Old Today, 10:01   #950
swt_passenger
Veteran Member

The carriage washer road here is within the depot limits isn't it; and different movement rules might apply?

But in any event, trains moving with the lights set up wrongly is definitely not impossible. Controlling them independently of the direction the train is moving is definitely not just a 707 or Desiro UK thing. We already have examples above of a 458 and presumably some type of Electrostar.
swt_passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:16   #951
Deepgreen
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swt_passenger View Post
The carriage washer road here is within the depot limits isn't it; and different movement rules might apply?

But in any event, trains moving with the lights set up wrongly is definitely not impossible. Controlling them independently of the direction the train is moving is definitely not just a 707 or Desiro UK thing. We already have examples above of a 458 and presumably some type of Electrostar.
So it seems, but why has this seemingly simple automatic switching not been implemented? I can't think of any situation where it would be necessary to proceed with reds at the front, so why not make it impossible by directional movement-activated switching?

I can't imagine even depot rules would want reds at the front - it's misleading to everyone, even at a walking pace. Have I missed something here?

Last edited by Deepgreen; Today at 10:18.
Deepgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39   #952
pompeyfan

Desiro U.K. can't show reds on the front if the drivers key is in, they just show nothing unless reds are specifically chosen. Drivers may need to flick between day and night lights depending on weather or time conditions, so automation would complicate this.
pompeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:48   #953
GW43125

Quote:
Couldn't they just call the signalman to contact him on the GSM-R.?
I don't know what they did, I just know they called forward and it was stopped.
GW43125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:48   #954
spark001uk

I know within yard limits at Clapham I've often seen units displaying both red and white when shunting, or even just standing.
Old Today, 18:08   #955
dctraindriver

Quote:
So it seems, but why has this seemingly simple automatic switching not been implemented? I can't think of any situation where it would be necessary to proceed with reds at the front, so why not make it impossible by directional movement-activated switching?

I can't imagine even depot rules would want reds at the front - it's misleading to everyone, even at a walking pace. Have I missed something here?
Where abouts were you? Country end of the wash or London end?
dctraindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:18   #956
455driver
Veteran Member

Quote:

I can think of two, both on the Mainline although they are related.
Oh and just for information the 444 and 450s cannot comply with the rule book in those situations because the tail lights extinguish as soon as you key in

Last edited by 455driver; Today at 18:24.
455driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:21   #957
455driver
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know within yard limits at Clapham I've often seen units displaying both red and white when shunting, or even just standing.
When stabled it indicates that the units are cleaned and prepped and ready for service, as for them moving with reds and whites on the front that would take some doing because the same switch controls all the end lights on the 455s so its reds or whites and as stated above the reds go out as soon as the driver keys in on the Desiros, I dont know how the 458/5s are configured.
455driver is offline   Reply With Quote