RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation

Old 24th September 2016, 11:38   #31
Flying Phil

I believe that the bridge project is a bit behind schedule? Has work started on the abutments yet? Unfortunately I have not been able to visit recently and the GCR website has not been updated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well there is now an update on the website - but only up to July 27th. So still no actual abutment work yet?

Last edited by Flying Phil; 24th September 2016 at 11:38. Reason: Double post prevention system
Flying Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 21st October 2016, 14:53   #32
Flying Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinza-C55 View Post
I wonder if the S&T department are looking forward to this ?
In the latest issue of "Main Line" ( #168) Steve Evans writes " I'm very happy to be able to make the first report of work on the Loughborough north extension, which has started with refurbishment of signal fittings".
So S & T are on the case!
I visited the bridge site today and sadly there is no sign of any preparation work being done. I suspect this means the bridge will not be erected over the Christmas break. It would be nice to have an official update though....

Last edited by Flying Phil; 21st October 2016 at 14:53. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 24th October 2016, 14:04   #33
duffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Phil View Post
I visited the bridge site today and sadly there is no sign of any preparation work being done. I suspect this means the bridge will not be erected over the Christmas break. It would be nice to have an official update though....
I don't know if it will happen this Xmas but I guess it's no longer critical that it does - I believe the original MML electrification schedule mean this was the last chance before the wires went up, which would have made it much more expensive, but now there's probably a few years to spare so to speak.
duffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 08:42   #34
Gus

So the new National Railway Museum at Leicester North can and will open before there is a connection from the GCR to the National Rail network at Loughborough? TIA
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 14:02   #35
duffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
So the new National Railway Museum at Leicester North can and will open before there is a connection from the GCR to the National Rail network at Loughborough? TIA
Seems very likely. The 'exhibits' might need to be transported by road anyhow, I would guess they might well not be cleared for mainline running...
duffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 17:16   #36
Gus

Thanks and a very good point duffield.
Old 9th November 2016, 17:10   #37
Flying Phil

I had another visit to Lbro today and there was no sign of any work done at the MML bridge site so there is no chance of the bridge going in at Christmas. There has been no indication if the new bridge deck has even been ordered?
The GCR website has had no news update since July 28th. I am sure that I am not the only person to feel frustrated that we do not get more regular updates - even if it is to say that things are "delayed because of...."
I realise that the Railway is doing/must be doing, a lot of work behind the scenes with the Museum project and Gap project but, as they are quick to seek help/funds from the public, they ought to feedback more information to that same public. They do have the regular "Rail Mail" "E-Letter" but that is also silent on these things.
Old 10th November 2016, 17:28   #38
L+Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Phil View Post
as they are quick to seek help/funds from the public, they ought to feedback more information to that same public.
Difficult to disagree with this: I can only assume that things are moving more slowly than expected in terms of planning permission and so forth...?
L+Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 08:53   #39
Flying Phil

Another trip to Loughborough and there is no sign of any work being done. The electrification of the MML North of Kettering seems to have ground to a bit of a halt as well......
In the latest GCR "Rail Mail" is this snippet of news....
"Ironically, it will not be on site long, as LMS are moving their operation to a dedicated site still in `Loughborough but not rail connected in the next few weeks".
The LMS operation is outside the North end of the locomotive shed and so it appears as though the area is being cleared so that access to the canal bridge (for refurbishment ) and embankment (For re-building) is being started on.

Last edited by Flying Phil; 25th November 2016 at 08:53. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 1st December 2016, 17:29   #40
Gus

The new Main Line magazine came in the post today, in the magazine the CEO talks about Spring 2017 for the bridge to be built, it does seem that there has been a lot of meetings with different groups and lots of i's to be dotted and T's to be crossed.
Old 2nd December 2016, 21:08   #41
Flying Phil

Well Spring will be good!
But I still feel there could be more regular updates - even if the news is of delays, there must be other bits of progress to sweeten the pot.....
Old 11th January 2017, 14:20   #42
Flying Phil

Progress!
There are now some High Vis clad workers clearing the site of the Southern abutment. This it to allow machinery to access, for pile driving, then concrete pouring for the foundations. The timescale is approx 6 months and the bridge deck is being fabricated now. Following on from this will be the refurb of the canal bridge - another, approx four month, job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7096.jpg (147.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 11th January 2017, 15:57   #43
AndyW33

To be followed by the bridges over Railway Terrace and the Preci-Spark car park access road, and the long section of missing embankment. This is a long term project...
AndyW33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 17:53   #44
Cowley
I'm only here to relax

Great to see. Thanks for the updates.
Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 19:18   #45
Flying Phil

Andy - you are quite correct it certainly will be a long term project - three or four years I would think......But the desire for reunification goes back to the 80's I think, so it is fantastic to actually now have "Boots on the Ground!".
Cowley - Thanks - I will be visiting fairly regularly so will keep the updates coming.