RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Trip Planning & Reports

Old 10th January 2017, 11:41   #151
Kite159
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy1878 View Post
Really enjoyed that Cowley! Good read and full of nostalgia. It's amazing the moves that used to be possible that just aren't any more.
All the loco hauled stuff replaced by MUs, especially the 47s. At least the 37s have sort of made a comeback in Cumbria & Norfolk
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th January 2017, 19:39   #152
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy1878 View Post
Really enjoyed that Cowley! Good read and full of nostalgia. It's amazing the moves that used to be possible that just aren't any more.
Thanks Noddy. Glad you enjoyed it, it's nice to remember it and record it properly. I'd probably never have got round to it if it wasn't for being on here.

Kite - Yes, you could still do a lot of the country on loco hauled stuff in then, obviously with sectorisation thing generally stayed on their own duties but places like Crewe and Reading had loads of loco hauled trains still passing through.
I don't think 47s will have a second coming like the 37s did though.

Last edited by Cowley; 10th January 2017 at 19:41.
Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 21:39   #153
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowley View Post
Thanks Noddy. Glad you enjoyed it, it's nice to remember it and record it properly. I'd probably never have got round to it if it wasn't for being on here.

Kite - Yes, you could still do a lot of the country on loco hauled stuff in then, obviously with sectorisation thing generally stayed on their own duties but places like Crewe and Reading had loads of loco hauled trains still passing through.
I used to be able to spend a whole day out on a Network Northwest Day Ranger and got 1 or at most 2 units all day. Ah well.
Old 10th January 2017, 22:40   #154
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler9 View Post
I used to be able to spend a whole day out on a Network Northwest Day Ranger and got 1 or at most 2 units all day. Ah well.
I wish I'd spent a bit more time bashing around Liverpool. I did a bit in 94 and it was pretty awesome.
Old 10th January 2017, 22:44   #155
AJM580

Quote:

You'll start me off again - Reading, happy memories of 50s & 47s on Oxfords and the like while Crewe was good for almost anything back then. Remember bailing off an 87 straight onto 31160 & 31285 vice 37 in 1993. The Coast & Peaks rover was my favourite as you could do the North Wales stuff and Manchester as well.
AJM580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 22:57   #156
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Seeing as Mr Cowley has once again set us all off on a big nostalgia trip, does anyone remember doing these on Preston-Barrow services during the early 90s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2264.jpg (169.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2263.jpg (145.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2265.jpg (82.7 KB, 19 views)
Ash Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 23:16   #157
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Nothing like a bit of nostalgia chaps .
Mr Bridge those photos are class. I didn't ever get to Barrow unfortunately (excuse my ignorance but do the 37s go there at the moment?)
I did have a couple of 31s in the area in 1994 though and they looked pretty fine in Regional Railways colours too.
Look at those semaphores. Are they still there?
Old 10th January 2017, 23:31   #158
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Nothing like a bit of nostalgia chaps .
Mr Bridge those photos are class. I didn't ever get to Barrow unfortunately (excuse my ignorance but do the 37s go there at the moment?)
I did have a couple of 31s in the area in 1994 though and they looked pretty fine in Regional Railways colours too.
Look at those semaphores. Are they still there?
That was roughly speaking the early 90s equivalent to today's 10:04 Preston-Barrow 37 hauled working, bit of an anticlimax that day though as I recall the onward service from Barrow to Ravenglass where I was heading turned out to be a 153 and yes these days those semaphores Iam pretty certain are much as they were in that shot, the main difference of course being that a 37 would be now standing where the 31 is.
Old 10th January 2017, 23:38   #159
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Bridge View Post
That was roughly speaking the early 90s equivalent to today's 10:04 Preston-Barrow 37 hauled working, bit of an anticlimax that day though as I recall the onward service from Barrow to Ravenglass where I was heading turned out to be a 153 and yes these days those semaphores Iam pretty certain are much as they were in that shot, the main difference of course being that a 37 would be now standing where the 31 is.
Which when you think about it, nearly twenty five years later is pretty amazing...
Old 10th January 2017, 23:50   #160
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Which when you think about it, nearly twenty five years later is pretty amazing...
Indeed, I don't think anyone back then could have possibly predicted that first generation diesel locomotive hauled mainline passenger services would still exist, as you say it really is just amazing.
Old 11th January 2017, 07:58   #161
Techniquest
MCV Top Man
Veteran Member

Wow what an awesome trip into the past there! 87s on the sleepers, oh my that would be great fun now! Lots of stuff in there I'm well jealous of, things like Dover Western Docks would have been great to do now. 47 thrash through the Southern Region would be simply hellfire in 2017!

As Ash Bridge says, that was a very well written trip report and I can only sympathise with not noting the EMUs on the Southern Region, I regret not noting them in 2004 myself. The odd couple I think I noted after finding the evidence in photos, but wish I'd got into the bashing scene much earlier than I did!
Old 11th January 2017, 10:06   #162
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniquest View Post
I can only sympathise with not noting the EMUs on the Southern Region, I regret not noting them in 2004 myself. The odd couple I think I noted after finding the evidence in photos, but wish I'd got into the bashing scene much earlier than I did!
I think probably most of us are guilty of this Tech, I discovered one of my old notebooks from my teenage bashing days in the early to mid 70s and noted there was an absence of EMU numbers written down on trips to places such as Hastings, Ashford, Southampton and other former Southern Region destinations, oddly though for some reason I seemed to pay more attention to DMUs and AC EMUs, but obviously at the end of the day in that era I was mainly obsessed with the sheer variety of loco's that were still on offer, happy days!
Old 11th January 2017, 13:01   #163
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniquest View Post
Wow what an awesome trip into the past there! 87s on the sleepers, oh my that would be great fun now! Lots of stuff in there I'm well jealous of, things like Dover Western Docks would have been great to do now. 47 thrash through the Southern Region would be simply hellfire in 2017!

As Ash Bridge says, that was a very well written trip report and I can only sympathise with not noting the EMUs on the Southern Region, I regret not noting them in 2004 myself. The odd couple I think I noted after finding the evidence in photos, but wish I'd got into the bashing scene much earlier than I did!
Thanks very much Tech. As Ash Bridge says, we were all guilty of that.
I'm making a note of units I'm taking now (which I never thought I'd do), because I suppose one day we might be saying to younger folks "I remember when trains still had an internal combustion engine, those were the days, pity you never experienced them"
Old 11th January 2017, 17:30   #164
fowler9
Established Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again but the best I ever had was 56015 just turn up on a Cross Country service from Runcorn to Crewe whilst on a NNW Day Ranger. Before the days of mobile phones and internet gen. Didn't have a clue it was on the service, would have been happy with an 86 or a 47 (Preferably a winner). The Liverpool Cardiffs were amazing as was the period when Liverpool to Man Vic was entirely 31 hauled with a few interesting anomalies.

The best I hope for these days is a 156 on an EMT service. It has lost some of the interest for me. Every generation says that though I guess.
Old 11th January 2017, 18:02   #165
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler9 View Post
Every generation says that though I guess.
Nail on the head Mr 9.
I'd love to seen your face when that 56 came into view with a rake of coaches behind it