RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 8th December 2016, 23:18   #16
6Gman
Established Member

On the M93 Conwy to Pant-y-Tan service passengers for the Gorlan / Pengarth Estate used to get off at the bottom of a hill because they could walk up the hill faster than a Bristol SC in first gear.
6Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th December 2016, 21:51   #17
SCH117X

It takes me half an hour to walk, the bus is meant to be every 15 minutes and takes around 10 minutes but once past 3.30 reliability typically goes out of the window and walking is far quicker even if passing the bus stop when one is due.
SCH117X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 22:09   #18
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw1 View Post
From where I am in Southampton (near the BlueStar 1 route) it's quicker to walk the 35 minutes into town if you want to get into town for dead-on 0900. This is because buses actually get _less_ frequent at this time, with one 20 or 25 minute gap while the normal gap is 15.

A side effect of extra timing for traffic, and (I suspect) no extra vehicles being used in the peak hour compared to the off peak.

Evenings is another example... for a large-ish city bus frequencies are not great on many routes in the evenings and if the bus is at the "wrong" time to get to an evening event, a walk can be quicker.
In some areas fewer buses run in the peaks because they and their drivers are being used on school services instead. There is then little incentive for people with a feasible choice to opt for the bus.
Busaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 22:18   #19
Ianno87
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Is it? I find the 59 reasonably quick.
Agree - the buses along Kingsway are probably the highest average speed of any Central London bus in all but the worst of traffic.

Meanwhile, forget any bus between Liverpool Street and London Bridge during the Tower Bridge/Tooley Street closure at the moment.

Edgware Rd southbound in the evening always used to get pretty jammed up too - faster to walk Paddington to Victoria!
Old 9th December 2016, 22:58   #20
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianno87 View Post

Edgware Rd southbound in the evening always used to get pretty jammed up too - faster to walk Paddington to Victoria!
Also many fewer scheduled buses since last month's route change to the 436.
Old 8th January 2017, 21:08   #21
quarella

A Friday late around 4.30pm before Christmas I was walking Shadwell to Limehouse. I expected it to be busy but it was worse than expected. A bus driver taking the opportunity for a cigarette told me he should have booked off over an hour earlier and he had never seen it so bad. Near Limehouse station a message board advised that the A13 Canning Town Flyover was closed. I turned up Burdett Road towards Mile End and in the twenty minutes it took me not one bus passed on any of the 3 routes with 7-8 minute headways.

When Worle Parkway Station as it was then called Avon County Council subsidised a bus service from the housing development of North Worle. If weather was bad I sometimes carried one or two passengers in the evening but was usually empty as I would be sat in traffic on Queensway when those who walked passed me.

The route revisions caused by the housing at North Worle has created the situation where, if you miss the First number 7 at Sainsbury's you can now walk to Madam Lane and catch the same bus.
quarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 22:00   #22
sk688

Walking from Barnet Hospital ( next to our school ) to High Barnet station is often quicker than the buses ( 263.,107,384.307 )
sk688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 09:49   #23
DanTrainMan185
Human Geographer
Established Member

Any bus in London yesterday as a result of the tube strike!
Old 10th January 2017, 10:26   #24
Deerfold
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTrainMan185 View Post
Any bus in London yesterday as a result of the tube strike!
I don't know - although I wasn't in London yesterday, I've found some routes surprisingly quick during previous tube strikes - I've planned to walk fairly large distances but then caught a bus once a few have passed me.
Deerfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 21:49   #25
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfold View Post
I don't know - although I wasn't in London yesterday, I've found some routes surprisingly quick during previous tube strikes - I've planned to walk fairly large distances but then caught a bus once a few have passed me.
I spent a few minutes yesterday using the technology from afar to observe how buses were operating in central London (late a.m. as it happens) and the intervals between buses, although not what they should have been, in most cases were not much different from normal.
Old 11th January 2017, 17:16   #26
nottinghamcity

The TWM 74 from Dudley at least as far as Dudley Port, and maybe great bridge must be a contender too. Could really do with an extension to the Midland Metro
nottinghamcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 17:32   #27
OneOffDave

When I used to go from Euston to Waterloo daily I could frequently match the bus from Euston to Aldwych but crossing over the strand to Waterloo Bridge would normally see them pass me
OneOffDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2017, 18:34   #28
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOffDave View Post
When I used to go from Euston to Waterloo daily I could frequently match the bus from Euston to Aldwych but crossing over the strand to Waterloo Bridge would normally see them pass me
You could have tried walking through the underpass to give yourself a better chance.
Old 11th January 2017, 21:56   #29
neilmc

A (fairly fit) friend who regularly travels on one of the Cumbria Fellrunner services declares that if he thinks he has missed the weekly bus at Kings Meaburn, a brisk walk to Morland should see him in time to catch it up there, since in the meantime the bus has had to traverse another five villages, including one reversal, and no doubt has had an encounter or two with a tractor on a narrow road, covering less than two miles as the raven flies in around forty minutes.
neilmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 14:49   #30
infobleep
Established Member

On train yesterday. See bus due in 15 minutes. Get to bus stop and shortly before it might turn up, if previous predictions was correct, I see it's due in another 13 minutes. I then start walking as I have no information on the bus being late. Last time I waited it was practically as quick or quicker to walk for an hour.

I walk for 20 minutes and then broad the bus further along the route. Then 20 minutes on the bus followed by a few minutes walk to my destination.

Had I done the walk I could have done it in about an hour, so naturally 15 minutes longer than it took me by bus.

Whilst on the bus we passed about 7-8 people standing at one bus stop. We couldn't stop for them as we had no space. Next bus stop some got off and less wanted to get on so we could stop.

Now let's assume the people we couldn't pick up were waiting 20 minutes for a bus. The next bus after ours wasn't for another 15 minutes, assuming it arrived at its predicted time. Hopefully that one would have space. So that could be a 35 minute wait for some or longer., if they had got the bus stop earlier than the time it was predicted to have left.....

No information as to why the bus was so late. I tweeted TfL bus alerts to let them know but heard nothing back. No wonder more and more passengers are not bothering with London buses.

There are also health benefits to walking, which buses don't give. Whilst the same is true of other modes of public transport, many of those are faster than buses or are longer journeys, for which walking wouldn't be so practical.

The London Mayor has said he wants to involve the flow of information to passengers.

Last edited by infobleep; 12th January 2017 at 14:54.
infobleep is offline   Reply With Quote