RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2017, 22:40   #16
Peter Mugridge
Established Member

Mine's a Samsung CLX-4190; that's a combined small high quality laser, fax, photocopier and flatbed scanner. Had it nearly a year now and only just had to change two of the cartridges - which were of course the part filled "supply" ones.

Both those that needed changing lasted several weeks beyond the "empty" message on the screen - when they really are empty the machine will simply stop, so I would certainly agree with not looking at the toner level on the screen.

The two replacements are not manufacturer branded, but they're not generics either - they're a brand new bulk supply branded version ( Q-Connect ) and it accepts them perfectly well.
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th January 2017, 22:53   #17
dgl

Been using lasers for years and currently have an OKI MC342dn and has been brilliant, the first lot of chepo toner I've brought works fine even on card. Does Print/Fax/Scan/Email, not that cheap at £220 but got £50 off on a cashback deal. It also does full speed in colour which some models can't do and has a pretty much fully flat paper path when necessary.

The only thing to watch out for is some cheap lasers have tiny cartridges that aren't cheap and best to have one with a decent amount of memory (RAM) as it can speed up printing no end.
Old 11th January 2017, 02:49   #18
CarlSilva
Are you a

The first printer I had was an HP scanner printer and after the ink ran out, I kept refilling the black one, and resetting it. The colour wasn't important to me so I didn't bother with that. I probably refilled the black cartridge over 30 times before the print head died. After that I got a non genuine replacement off ebay and used it until the printer wore out.

I once bought a nice Cannon printer which could print on CDs and DVDs. It had a separate ink cartridge for each colour, which was useful at first, but after about the 3rd cartridge replacement, something went wrong with it and it refused to print, even though the cartridges were fine. It turned out to be the print head, which on that particular printer, wasn't part of the cartridges. A replacement would have cost almost as much as a new printer, so I got rid.

For a few years I had an Epson photo printer that wasn't too bad. You can refill the cartridges but they have a micro chip on them, which can get fried if you try to reset them with those foreign ebay resetting tools. But you can trick the printer into thinking it's a different cartridge by putting a different chip on your own refilled cartridge, subject of course to you having a spare chip the printer hasn't previously met.

My current one is an HP Envy 4500 scanner printer. It's alright but there's no way as such to reset the cartridges after refilling them. I found out there is a workaround though. This model only remembers the last 2 cartridges which have been installed in it. So if you have a few spare empty cartridges, you can refill these and the printer will accept them due to them never having been in that actual printer before. Once you've used two different cartridges, you can put the original one back in once you're refilled it and the printer has very kindly forgotten it was in there once before. It does sometimes throw up an annoying nag screen about the cartridge being a used one, but you can disable that in printer properties.
If you only use it once in a while, a laser printer is probably a bit of an overkill, but they are slightly more economical and more reliable for larger print runs.
Old 11th January 2017, 18:42   #19
bb21

Either bin the idea if that is all you print and just use a print shop, or get an Epson printer, for which replacement cartridges are plentiful on ebay at minimal cost.

Printer ink is the single most expensive liquid per litre I think, when someone did an investigation a few years ago.
Old 12th January 2017, 11:54   #20
Puffing Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSilva View Post
If you only use it once in a while, a laser printer is probably a bit of an overkill, but they are slightly more economical and more reliable for larger print runs.
Not the case - Inkjets can be a nightmare when not printing on a regular basis. Printheads clog with dried ink and/or the printer burns up ink self-cleaning.

A laser printer sits happily until needed with its dry toner. Plenty of cheap lasers on the market now which make them ideal for the occasional user who does not need HQ photo printing. £99 will get you a decent colour laser - more upfront costs, but cheaper over a 5 year life.
Old 12th January 2017, 14:30   #21
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpers Tate View Post
The biggest hint I can offer is never to use branded OEM ink catridges.
My Canon uses 4 separate colours. I bought FOUR SETS of four catridges from an Amazon Marketplace seller for less than £11. They have worked up to now (~18 months) without issue. No need to pay more IMO.

Even if you fear the "it will invalidate your warranty" thing - what is the price of a new printer, complete, vs the price differential of branded vs lookalike catridges? It's more economic to buy a new printer every year or so.....
There's a reason for the big difference in price. The printer may have costed Canon £100 to make but they may have sold it for £50. Why? The lower price is more likely to attract people to buy new printers. So how do they recover the loss? Huge mark up on the ink cartridges. The other company making Canon compatible cartridges don't need to try and recover the losses made by Canon in the sale of printers.

I used to get Lexmark cartridges refilled. On some occasions they worked just as well as the originals and lasted longer than originals but on other occasions the print quality wasn't as good as with originals.
Old 12th January 2017, 14:33   #22
gazzak

Another vote for a laser printer here. I got so fed up with my inkjets giving me untold problems that I splashed out a bit and haven't regretted it one time.
Old 12th January 2017, 15:16   #23
Butts
Established Member

I bought a cheapo HP 1510 Printer that actually came with it's first set of Ink already loaded - all for about £40.

These lasted for about a year until I had to replace them
Old 12th January 2017, 16:05   #24
Howardh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
I bought a cheapo HP 1510 Printer that actually came with it's first set of Ink already loaded - all for about £40.

These lasted for about a year until I had to replace them
You had to replace the printer?
Old 12th January 2017, 16:22   #25
Butts
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardh View Post
You had to replace the printer?
Ho Ho

Just the cartridges !!
Old 12th January 2017, 18:04   #26
Howardh
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butts View Post
Ho Ho

Just the cartridges !!
I was being serious! Looking at my printer it looks like it will barely last the week, let alone the year! Had the feeling that printers are so cheap it gets like ink, we have to replace it every month....
Old 12th January 2017, 21:01   #27
SpacePhoenix
Established Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-DCP...+laser+printer

Possibly something like that would do you
Closed Thread