RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Disputes & Prosecutions

Click to buy your tickets through RailUK Booking engine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13th August 2017, 22:51   #61
gray1404
the journey is just as in
Established Member
 
Join Date: 3 Mar 2014
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 2,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlaarr View Post
I would like to point out, a friend of mine traveled on the same evening, we both got stopped and he refused to give out any identification, when ask for ID he said he was not carrying any.
A different officer went through the same questions as he did with me but he did not have a body camera as did the one that was questioning me.

He has not heard anything from TIL or ATW.
Did you friend provide them with his name and address?
gray1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 13th August 2017, 22:57   #62
Ashlaarr
Ashlaarr
Member
 
Join Date: 12 Mar 2017
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray1404 View Post
Did you friend provide them with his name and address?
No, Completely made it all up. He got very lucky in my eyes.
Ashlaarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 23:20   #63
gray1404
the journey is just as in
Established Member
 
Join Date: 3 Mar 2014
Location: Merseyside
Posts: 2,641
Default

I see. He gave false details.
gray1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 02:06   #64
najaB
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: 28 Aug 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 14,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlaarr View Post
No, Completely made it all up. He got very lucky in my eyes.
Indeed. That could very easily have gone very badly.
__________________
Favourite saying: "There's no difference between theory and practice. In theory."
najaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 08:42   #65
Sussex Guy
Member
 
Join Date: 15 Jun 2017
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlaarr View Post
I would like to point out, a friend of mine traveled on the same evening, we both got stopped and he refused to give out any identification, when ask for ID he said he was not carrying any.
A different officer went through the same questions as he did with me but he did not have a body camera as did the one that was questioning me.

He has not heard anything from TIL or ATW.
Which highlights the disparity in the way these things are dealt with.

I was at Sittingbourne one Saturday evening and a group of boisterous 'lads' were clearly surprised to see the ticket gates in use and revenue staff present, one claimed that they had travelled from Newington, the previous station. It was pointed out that the train they had got off hadn't stopped at Newington, "oh s**t that didn't work" came the reply to roars of laughter. They then confessed to having travelled from Gillingham and paid the appropriate fare but their attempt to avoid the full payment was just laughed off by revenue staff, no names and addresses were asked for, no threats of prosecutions etc.
Sussex Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 12:16   #66
baz962
Member
 
Join Date: 8 Jun 2017
Posts: 307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex Guy View Post
Which highlights the disparity in the way these things are dealt with.

I was at Sittingbourne one Saturday evening and a group of boisterous 'lads' were clearly surprised to see the ticket gates in use and revenue staff present, one claimed that they had travelled from Newington, the previous station. It was pointed out that the train they had got off hadn't stopped at Newington, "oh s**t that didn't work" came the reply to roars of laughter. They then confessed to having travelled from Gillingham and paid the appropriate fare but their attempt to avoid the full payment was just laughed off by revenue staff, no names and addresses were asked for, no threats of prosecutions etc.
Maybe being a group and being "Rowdy" The revenue staff thought it would be less hassle rather than confrontational.
baz962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 12:58   #67
Gareth Marston
Established Member
 
Join Date: 26 Jun 2010
Location: Newtown Montgomeryshire
Posts: 3,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex Guy View Post
Which highlights the disparity in the way these things are dealt with.

I was at Sittingbourne one Saturday evening and a group of boisterous 'lads' were clearly surprised to see the ticket gates in use and revenue staff present, one claimed that they had travelled from Newington, the previous station. It was pointed out that the train they had got off hadn't stopped at Newington, "oh s**t that didn't work" came the reply to roars of laughter. They then confessed to having travelled from Gillingham and paid the appropriate fare but their attempt to avoid the full payment was just laughed off by revenue staff, no names and addresses were asked for, no threats of prosecutions etc.
Trying to short fare is an endemic local tradition in South Wales and the operator is trying to deal with it with a zero tolerance approach. It might not be an issue in Sussex so is looked on differently by staff/ instruction form Managers.
Gareth Marston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 20:31   #68
Sussex Guy
Member
 
Join Date: 15 Jun 2017
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Marston View Post
Trying to short fare is an endemic local tradition in South Wales and the operator is trying to deal with it with a zero tolerance approach. It might not be an issue in Sussex so is looked on differently by staff/ instruction form Managers.
I think it's probably endemic everywhere quite honestly, a lot of people seem to regard trains as a free service particularly in the evening.
Sussex Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bylaw, fare evasion, unpaid fare

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:22.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2017