RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation

Old 9th August 2017, 19:48   #1
AY1975

Default Reciprocal arrangements for preservation society members at other railways?

Further to my earlier thread on travel concessions for preservation society members at www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=151845, does anyone know of any preservation societies whose members enjoy reciprocal arrangements at other heritage railways?

I think it would be good if preserved railways that are located close to each other (such as Peak Rail and the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Derbyshire) could negotiate reciprocal arrangements for each other's members.

I don't know offhand of any railways where this happens, but Tramway Museum Society members get reciprocal arrangements at some other heritage tramways such as East Anglia Transport Museum in Lowestoft and the Heaton Park Tramway in Manchester.
AY1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th August 2017, 20:09   #2
MichaelWells

If you're a volunteer at some railways you get reciprocal free travel to some railways.

alternatively, also if youre a volunteer you generally get offered a Heritage Railway Association pass for £25-£30 this gets you in most other railways free or discounted
MichaelWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 20:55   #3
paul1609
Established Member

The HRA volunteers interail card costs £30 this year and gets you free or discounted admission at nearly all heritage railways. Membership of the scheme has been mandatory for new members of the HRA since the early 2000s. I'm the co-ordinator for the K&ESR. There are also numerous railway to railway concessions for instance I as a K&ESR volunteer get free travel on a lot of southeastern heritage railways. To make things even more complicated several heritage railways are associated of atoc and issue give discounts to the ex be privileged scheme.

Last edited by paul1609; 9th August 2017 at 20:57.
paul1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 23:28   #4
Calthrop

Basically non-serious response; but I learned decades ago, when a Ffestiniog Railway Society member and fairly regular volunteer: that there were reciprocal free-travel arrangements for FR Soc. members on the Talyllyn Railway, and vice versa. Don't know whether that still obtains -- nice, I'd feel, if it does.

Ffestiniog and Talyllyn bods used to, in fun, "rubbish" each other's railways -- (re FR) "heartless militarised super-would-be-crack-main-line a la LNWR at its Victorian worst", and (re TR) "dozy back-of-beyond mega-slow sub-Colonel-Stephens super-light-railway-cum-steam-tramway"; but I always felt there to be, behind the banter, genuine mutual affection.
Calthrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 10:21   #5
XDM
On Moderation

Keep it quiet, but TOC staff get a hefty discount on most heritage railways. It is in exchange for volunteers, & private railway company directors, on those railways getting TOC tickets at priv prices. We used it on the Ravenglass & Eskdale & Swanage railway this summer.
XDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 22:09   #6
Jonfun
"Jezza"

Most heritage railways don't extend ATOC travel concessions to volunteers unfortunately, no matter how senior. Even those at director level weren't entitled to it unless also undertaking a paid, contracted role at my last railway (ie not covering volunteers paid to come in and work trains on an as-required basis).
Old 12th August 2017, 17:34   #7
Calthrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDM View Post
Keep it quiet, but TOC staff get a hefty discount on most heritage railways. It is in exchange for volunteers, & private railway company directors, on those railways getting TOC tickets at priv prices. We used it on the Ravenglass & Eskdale & Swanage railway this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonfun View Post
Most heritage railways don't extend ATOC travel concessions to volunteers unfortunately, no matter how senior. Even those at director level weren't entitled to it unless also undertaking a paid, contracted role at my last railway (ie not covering volunteers paid to come in and work trains on an as-required basis).
I'm sure I'm woefully dim and ill-informed here; but please could someone kindly elucidate the above exchange for me, "in words of one syllable"? TOC=Train Operating Company, OK?; beyond that, I'm bemused.
Old 12th August 2017, 21:05   #8
Jonfun
"Jezza"

Most railway staff who are employed by members of ATOC, which is the industry organisation that represents train operators, get quarter rate travel (priv rate) on the national network. Some heritage railways are also members of ATOC, and extend the ATOC travel concessions to their staff too.
Old 12th August 2017, 21:37   #9
Calthrop

So this business is essentially between national network; and heritage undertakings. The acronym ATOC was new to me. Thanks -- quoting the slogan of an about-everything-under-the-sun message board which I frequent a lot: "Ignorance fought !"
Old 12th August 2017, 21:41   #10
Ben.A.98

Not meaning to hijack the thread, however if you are a volunteer at a heritage line do you get free travel on a normal operating day?
Ben.A.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 22:10   #11
GM078

Not necessarily an official policy, but I've found on the ground a good bit of co-operation between members of different preservation groups as a volunteer on the Emerald Isle. Certainly I've received a warm welcome while visiting other groups, and I like to think we extend that back when their volunteers travel on our trains.

After all we're all after variations of the same thing, be it steam, diesel, standard or narrow gauge!
Old 21st August 2017, 15:23   #12
The Lad

On railways that are members of ATOC, generally. paid staff contracted for more than 16hrs per week can get facilities on other TOC's.
Heritage Railways often negotiate terms with each other for staff which are often free on ordinary days and perhaps 50% on galas.
The Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05   #13
bramling
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lad View Post
On railways that are members of ATOC, generally. paid staff contracted for more than 16hrs per week can get facilities on other TOC's.
And likewise holders of PRIVs get discounted travel on a list of preserved railways. This often excludes gala type days however, and I often get the feeling booking office staff at some railways are rather 'off' when a PRIV is presented. A couple are extremely welcoming however, one railway gives free travel to PRIV holders, which is a lovely gesture, but to avoid any sensitivities I won't post which one.
bramling is offline   Reply With Quote