RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion

Old 20th August 2017, 05:51   #21466
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher
Veteran Member

Once again, it is time for Hyde United to enter the qualifying rounds of the FA Cup and they duly continued their long unbeaten run in all league and cup matches going back to January.

Hyde United 4...Congleton Town 2
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 20th August 2017, 11:49   #21467
61653 HTAFC
Wibble-merchant
Established Member

Huddersfield Town have definitely arrived in the Premier League... Arriva have given us a REAL train to get into Huddersfield from the Heavy Woollen District in the form of a 150 rather than the usual Sunday fare of a single Merseytravel 142! (Still only bi-hourly on a Sunday but we can't have everything can we?)

Unfortunately I made the schoolboy error of forgetting that we're playing Newcastle, so did my usual Dewsbury switcheroo... almost got left behind after people initially refused to move down the aisles. Eventually (after about 2 mins) the guard announced that first was being declassified temporarily until we got to HUD.
Old 20th August 2017, 13:20   #21468
roversfan2001
#VenkysOut 'activist'

A solid 1-0 win yesterday at Bradford to hopefully kickstart our season.
Old 20th August 2017, 15:24   #21469
RichmondCommu
Established Member

Well done Huddersfield. Listening on the beach in Antibes ☺
RichmondCommu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 19:08   #21470
roversfan2001
#VenkysOut 'activist'

Thankfully Huddersfield kept a clean sheet, I have Chris Lowe in my fantasy team
Old 21st August 2017, 05:52   #21471
61653 HTAFC
Wibble-merchant
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roversfan2001 View Post
Thankfully Huddersfield kept a clean sheet, I have Chris Lowe in my fantasy team
Löwe was outstanding yesterday, as were Ince, Mooy and Van La Parra. I still can't quite believe what I'm seeing when I look at the table though. I'm sure it won't last, so I'm going to just enjoy it!
Old 21st August 2017, 08:47   #21472
DarloRich
Veteran Member

Darlo 0 v Telford 1

Same old Darlo. Play well at Salford and York, undo it all by losing to rugged well organised rubbish.
Old 21st August 2017, 12:26   #21473
Old Yard Dog

Paid a rare visit to Wembley yesterday as part of my 92-club obligation to re"do" it as a League ground.

Have they taken some toilets out since the stadium re-opened? The half-time queues were horrendous. Knowing this, I wisely restricted myself to a half of the real ale in the concourse before the game (a quite passable pint of GK IPA served by gravity).

The post-match queues at all three stations were even more horrendous. At cup finals, half the crowd stay on for the presentations, the other half leave - which eases it a bit. And with it being a London derby, nobody was going north - everybody wanted the tube or overground.

I did my usual plan B in such circumstances and caught the 18 bus to Euston but had to beg to be let off after it only did half a stop in 30 mins. I wonder if walking to North Wembley station would have been a better bet?

What did annoy me was allowing Spurs to play a b****y drum on the PA during play. Whatever next? Organists? The only other place I have seen anything like it was Mouscron vs Cercle Brugge in Belgium.

If Wembley's 3+ stations fail to cope with 73,000 fans how on earth will the little White Hart Lane station cope with 60,000? Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters are miles away.

PS A good 3-0 win for Bradford on Saturday but FC United's defence (and their player's body language) was dire.
Old Yard Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 13:36   #21474
96tommy

Paying a visit to Sheffield United to orrow night to tick it off the 92. If coming by car where is the best place to park, is there any tram stops nearby?
Old 21st August 2017, 14:47   #21475
61653 HTAFC
Wibble-merchant
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yard Dog View Post
Paid a rare visit to Wembley yesterday as part of my 92-club obligation to re"do" it as a League ground.

Have they taken some toilets out since the stadium re-opened? The half-time queues were horrendous. Knowing this, I wisely restricted myself to a half of the real ale in the concourse before the game (a quite passable pint of GK IPA served by Gravity).
These names Londoners give to their kids are getting more and more wacky!
Old 21st August 2017, 15:09   #21476
BlueFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96tommy View Post
Paying a visit to Sheffield United to orrow night to tick it off the 92. If coming by car where is the best place to park, is there any tram stops nearby?
The ground is within easy walking distance of the main railway station. In the past I've parked at Meadowhall and got the train from there.

I hope it's a good game and the away team win.
BlueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 16:19   #21477
BlueFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
The ground is within easy walking distance of the main railway station. In the past I've parked at Meadowhall and got the train from there.

I hope it's a good game and the away team win.
To clarify, if you're not familiar with the area...

I would park at Meadowhall railway station - it has a separate car park to Meadowhall shopping centre. If you use the shopping centre car park it can be quite a long walk to the station. Parking is free.

If you're travelling from the south, leave the M1 at junction 34, but DON'T follow the signs for Meadowhall. Take the A631, which goes under the M1, and take the first exit at the next roundabout. Turn right at the Travelodge and the station is on that road. There are trains to Sheffield every few minutes and the journey takes 5-6 minutes. It's around £3 for an off-peak return. You could get the tram to Sheffield instead but it takes a lot longer.

There may be places closer to the ground to park, but my experience of city centre football grounds is that the roads can be so busy after the game that it's better to park further away and get a train or tram.
BlueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 17:38   #21478
96tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
To clarify, if you're not familiar with the area...

I would park at Meadowhall railway station - it has a separate car park to Meadowhall shopping centre. If you use the shopping centre car park it can be quite a long walk to the station. Parking is free.

If you're travelling from the south, leave the M1 at junction 34, but DON'T follow the signs for Meadowhall. Take the A631, which goes under the M1, and take the first exit at the next roundabout. Turn right at the Travelodge and the station is on that road. There are trains to Sheffield every few minutes and the journey takes 5-6 minutes. It's around £3 for an off-peak return. You could get the tram to Sheffield instead but it takes a lot longer.

There may be places closer to the ground to park, but my experience of city centre football grounds is that the roads can be so busy after the game that it's better to park further away and get a train or tram.
Thank You! Coming from Leeds in the car, will look at parking at Meadowhall
Old Yesterday, 21:59   #21479
British Rail Class 507
Established Member

Poor performance tonight, we deserved to lose. At least Jordan Rhodes scored (twice).
Old Today, 00:53   #21480
96tommy

Parked at Meadowhall and got the train into Sheffield.

Match finished Sheffield United 1-4 Leicester City a scoreline which flattered Leicester in quite an even game. First half saw both teams have good chances but the quality of Leicester prevailed in the end. Tomorrow night, Newcastle v Forest for me.