RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Trip Planning & Reports

Old 13th January 2017, 20:19   #181
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Bridge View Post
If that's the case then if think we should start to address you as M'lord from now on then
Sir will do.
Old 13th January 2017, 21:26   #182
Cowley
I'm only here to relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler9 View Post
Sir will do.
It should be God with your username...
Cowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:58   #183
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowley View Post
It should be God with your username...
I would accept God. I think Erm would be a better knickname for Robbie after the none word he repeatedly said in any interview. Ha ha. He's still a hero from my younger days though.
Old 14th January 2017, 00:09   #184
Cowley
I'm only here to relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler9 View Post
I would accept God. I think Erm would be a better knickname for Robbie after the none word he repeatedly said in any interview. Ha ha. He's still a hero from my younger days though.
He was the man . The white line goal celebration still makes me chuckle.
Old 14th January 2017, 00:17   #185
fowler9
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowley View Post
He was the man . The white line goal celebration still makes me chuckle.
Yeah, naughty boy. I remember a few blue mates saying he was setting a bad example despite the fact the reason he did it was that they were all screaming from the stands that he was a coke head (Not a very good example to the kids they had with them). Mind you Gerard Houlliers explanation that Rigobert Song told him he was pretending to sniff the grass was hilarious.

Last edited by fowler9; 14th January 2017 at 00:19.
fowler9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:28   #186
Established Member

Wow Mr Cowley what a read thoroughly enjoyed that. A right ole trip down memory lane. You certainly have lived a life. Nirvana's Nevermind album, I had the cassette (one for the young uns to google) and played it so much, the tape snapped. I still think Negative Creep from the bleach album is their best ever song. Anyhoo I digress.

You had me hooked when you typed them utter words, Anyone who doesn't like 47s better look away now.

I was killing myself at the rigger hoying his bag off the train, then bottling the jump, probably a very sensible decision too and your attempts at freshening up too, made me laugh. Done that a few times at Carlisle on overnighters. Filling the sink, adding a large squirting of shower gel, to at least smell fresh, only to defeat the object somewhat, by drying yourself on the t-shirt you've just taken off.

Some cracking locos you had too. 47521 was always a bit of a banger and the 47/7s, all left me feeling jealous. Network South East livery looked smart on.the 47s but ScotRail was better. I was gutted when they shove got pulled from the Edinburgh-Queen St turns, every 6 weeks holiday, my mates and I done 2, what we called the big trips, one was always A trip to Edinburgh, either at the start or the end, we always looked forward to that, me especially, all day action on the 47s or McRats, also not a single peak in sight For my mate Cal and I to argue about, probably to the rest of the gangs relief.

As for the loco changes. I'm.fairly sure most were done, if not all, at Carstairs. I knew a lad from the North East(a mate of a mates mate) who used to travel down at least once a week, in his car for the late Blackpool workings, early to mid 80's, he used to park his car up and ride back n forth on whatever turned up but the 40's, were his main effort. He'd sleep inn the car for a few hours or his mates mam n dads caravan, then drive home.

Oh to go back to them days. Bet you were totally knackered by the end of that week. However It sounded like a right blast. Many thanks for sharing.

Ash Bridge, I remember the 31s on the Man Vic- Barrow turns, had a few from Preston - Lancaster, late 80's early 90's, if I remember rightly. Great fun.

Last edited by 47403; Yesterday at 02:39.
47403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:11   #187
Cowley
I'm only here to relax

47403. Thank you very much for that, much appreciated indeed. It's been enjoyable remembering it all. Very different times back then.
I had Nevermind on tape too with Bob Marley on the other side, sums up the era bit I reckon...