RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > General Discussion

Old 19th May 2017, 14:18   #16
DarloRich
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestWestern View Post
Surely this is evidence of a need for some sort of diplomatic machinery by which perpetual immunuty forever can be avoided. The 'home soil' arrangements for embassies around the world are surely not intended to provide a means of escaping justice within a country's own borders.
do we have an extradition treaty with Equador? Is this any different from all those "lags" who went to Spain in the early 80's? is it any different from the lags hiding in Northern Cyprus today?

Last edited by DarloRich; 19th May 2017 at 14:19.
DarloRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 19th May 2017, 14:22   #17
maniacmartin
Southern Commuter
Senior Fares Advisor

In the embassy, I believe he's not technically in the UK and thus our laws don't apply.
Old 19th May 2017, 14:50   #18
AlterEgo
Around and About
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmartin View Post
In the embassy, I believe he's not technically in the UK and thus our laws don't apply.
A popular myth! Embassies are not extraterritorial. Our laws certainly do apply.

The reason police will not enter an embassy is because of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations:

Article 22. The premises of a diplomatic mission, such as an embassy, are inviolable and must not be entered by the host country except by permission of the head of the mission. Furthermore, the host country must protect the mission from intrusion or damage. The host country must never search the premises, nor seize its documents or property.
Old 19th May 2017, 14:55   #19
BestWestern
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
A popular myth! Embassies are not extraterritorial. Our laws certainly do apply.

The reason police will not enter an embassy is because of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations:

Article 22. The premises of a diplomatic mission, such as an embassy, are inviolable and must not be entered by the host country except by permission of the head of the mission. Furthermore, the host country must protect the mission from intrusion or damage. The host country must never search the premises, nor seize its documents or property.
So, the laws do apply but they're irrelevant really!
BestWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 14:59   #20
AlterEgo
Around and About
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestWestern View Post
So, the laws do apply but they're irrelevant really!
Well, sort of; they are perfectly relevant, because once the suspect leaves the embassy they can be arrested.

Assange can't stay in there forever, but if he does, it'll be fun. He is a plonker.
Old 19th May 2017, 16:24   #21
kylemore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarloRich View Post
see above: failing to surrender to a court

we have enforced the law of our country. You or I would be arrested for this offence. Why do you think Assnage should not be?

We spent millions & years trying to get Ronnie Biggs back to finish his sentence. Was that wrong? He was on the run for ages after a violent crime & after going over the wall - perhaps we should have just let him off.
If I thought I was going to spend the rest of my life as a political prisoner in the psychological hell of a US high security prison camp merely for the crime of "failing to surrender to a court" I would do anything fair or foul, legal or illegal to escape that fate and I would be right to do so.

The charges he faced in Sweden were laughably trumped up nonsense as anybody can easily find out from multiple sources.
kylemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 09:16   #22
TheNewNo2

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know the stories of the two women involved. But if Assange has been accused of committing rape, he should be tried for it. The fact he has been hiding out in the Ecuadorian embassy is ridiculous for all sides.
TheNewNo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:11   #23
GaryMcEwan

If Assange had nothing to fear or hide, then he should have went to Sweden a the first opportunity to clear his name, and if in the process he then got extradited to the US then so be it.

By hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy for 5 years to me, he has got something to hide.
GaryMcEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:49   #24
SS4
Classic Sonic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMcEwan View Post
If Assange had nothing to fear or hide, then he should have went to Sweden a the first opportunity to clear his name, and if in the process he then got extradited to the US then so be it.

By hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy for 5 years to me, he has got something to hide.
You actually think he'd have got a fair trial in the US? He'd have got a show trial like Manning.

By hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy he has evaded a show trial and possible torture in the US - it's more than justified and kudos to Ecuador for doing so.

Your post reads like Teresa May wrote it as justification for her ongoing fight against personal privacy. Assange should be treated similarly to Snowden (still in exile in Russia I believe)

If you've nothing to hide feel free to PM me your forum password
Old 20th May 2017, 12:02   #25
JamesT

Except all the stuff about the US is a conspiracy theory smokescreen.

The UK is known for being one of the most accommodating countries when it comes to extraditing to the US, why would they need him to go to Sweden to extradite him when they could do so from here?

The Swedish extradition request was made under the European Arrest Warrant. That says if a third country wants a person, both of the countries involved in the original extradition have to agree. So we'd still have to agree to him being extradited to the US, where's the benefit?

Finally, if the US doesn't care about the rule of law and it will just be a show trial, why didn't they have the CIA black bag him rather than this extraordinarily convoluted scheme?
JamesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:11   #26
Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1987 View Post
No we have played puppets for the US and Sweden, and the British taxpayer has foot the bill. Let him go to Ecuador, else present the US with the policing bill!
Send the bill to Assange. He is the one who got himself into this pickle. No-one else to blame.
Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 17:31   #27
EM2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemore View Post
The charges he faced in Sweden were laughably trumped up nonsense as anybody can easily find out from multiple sources.
So why didn't he go to trial to argue that, then?
Old 21st May 2017, 19:38   #28
kylemore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
So why didn't he go to trial to argue that, then?
I suppose it depends on your world view EM2.

If you think that the US Security State plays by the rules and is only interested in justice then yes Assange should have played by the rules.

If however you believe that the aforesaid US Security State lies, cheats and kills with impunity and is essentially evil incarnate, then perhaps you might think differently and do everything possible to keep yourself from their wicked clutches.
kylemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 20:28   #29
najaB
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemore View Post
If however you believe that the aforesaid US Security State lies, cheats and kills with impunity and is essentially evil incarnate, then perhaps you might think differently and do everything possible to keep yourself from their wicked clutches.
If Assange cared about anything more than his own skin he wouldn't have run. He would have advanced the cause of truth, justice and the American way much more effectively by letting them embarrass the Government by letting them have their show trial if that's what they wanted.

By hiding all he has done is make himself look guilty.
Old 21st May 2017, 20:32   #30
Busaholic
Established Member

Assange really is a tedious little plonker, and no-one on the left should continue to advance his cause, whatever that might be.
Busaholic is offline   Reply With Quote