RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railway Jobs & Careers


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22nd January 2017, 16:45   #91
AndyN
Member
 
Join Date: 17 Apr 2014
Location: Warrington
Posts: 79
Default

I rarely mention work on Social Media has when I'm not there I like to forget about it. I'm talking more, football/sport/gambling/booze/political/life rant statuses, some un pc, controversial etc but my point is my free time is exactly that
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 22nd January 2017, 17:03   #92
185
Established Member
 
185's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 Aug 2010
Location: Wha? No ticketz?
Posts: 3,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur View Post
A lot of people commenting that the OP has failed the attitude test. Just out of curiosity what is the right attitude?
Actually wanting the job is perhaps the most positive attitude.

Far too often see persons at interview, simply because they have to attend or their JSA will be sanctioned, or they have a selection of other things lined up and this is perhaps their eleventh choice in their 'list'. Sadly, for some roles, there are also those simply after the money, with little or no interest in the job.

Being frustrated at lack of success following repeated applications is quite understandable, and certainly not indicative of a person deemed a psychologically unsuitable candidate - quite the opposite infact.
__________________
185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 22:22   #93
Dave333
Member
 
Join Date: 26 Aug 2014
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louby View Post
Another daft thing I hear nowadays is how employers can snoop on peoples Facebook and my mate who is a ass kisser told me I need to toe the line on some of my statuses and some of the things I put up as employers could read it. Sorry but what I do and put on Social Media in my own time is my business and say what I want in my own time and if a potential employer snoops on my Facebook etc then again that is not a employer I want to work for anyway so they saved me the bother. What anyone puts on Social Media has no relevance to how well they can do a job.
Not just employers, and you can't go slagging people or companies off on social media, quickest way to get the sack , might sound harsh but that's the way it is, they like to see your attitude etc , who you socialise with, if you don't want that , best thing is to keep off the net.[/QUOTE]


Or don't add people on sad book who you don't know, keep it private so only friends can see your profile, better still get of Facebook and get a hobby, and a life.
Dave333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:17   #94
185
Established Member
 
185's Avatar
 
Join Date: 29 Aug 2010
Location: Wha? No ticketz?
Posts: 3,274
Default

Having seen a major train operating company be forced to admit in court, they in effect i) accessed ii) signed in as another person and iii) actively hacked a users account via their solicitor who used a paid consultancy firm to do it - I would expect our privacy laws to supersede those in Germany / the EU. A recommendation for the union solicitor by the judge was to also scrutinise the train company's social media policy and how it would, in parts, breach the basics freedoms of speech available to us.

On condition it is within the law, non-slanderous or defamatory - discussion should never be stifled, I'd expect that in China, not here.
__________________
185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:49   #95
cs233
Member
 
Join Date: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Default

Not wishing to be too far off topic but I think that recruitment and employment in general in many parts of the railway these days is odd to say the least. Whilst I no longer work in the railway these days and post from a neutral perspective I feel it is very much at odds. I find the driver grade the strangest. We have train drivers in some cases earning higher salary payments than first officers in 737\A32x aircraft.

It is upside down to say the least these first officers have in so many instances landed themselves in years of struggle and six figure debts to earn less than a job that can pass out qualified drivers in 12 months give or take.

I fail to understand the way the private railway system is heading in general, to me train drivers should earn little more than bus drivers as the job is comparable, whilst this may sound like a sweeping statement for the conditioned mind both positions are safety critical.

To me anyone that is presentable and has attention to detail can clean trains, any form of assessment is nothing short of a joke! What next passengers have to take psychometric tests before they can travel by train?!
cs233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:55   #96
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 4,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs233 View Post
I fail to understand the way the private railway system is heading in general, to me train drivers should earn little more than bus drivers as the job is comparable, whilst this may sound like a sweeping statement for the conditioned mind both positions are safety critical.
I'm not aware of any buses hurtling along at 125mph with 600 people inside. There isn't that much to compare.

You have also opened an enormous can of worms.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2017 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:57   #97
cs233
Member
 
Join Date: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darandio View Post
I'm not aware of any buses hurtling along at 125mph with 600 people inside. There isn't that much to compare.

You have also opened an enormous can of worms.
The Airbus A320 hurtles along in cruise at over 500mph, What did I say about conditioned minds?
cs233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:02   #98
Darandio
Established Member
 
Darandio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Feb 2007
Location: Redcar
Posts: 4,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs233 View Post
The Airbus A320 hurtles along in cruise at over 500mph, What did I say about conditioned minds?
I couldn't care less about any air/railway comparisons, I was talking about making bus/railway comparable, it just isn't.
__________________
DPSimulation Website - Train Simulator 2017 News, Information & Downloads - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Darandio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:09   #99
mac
Member
 
Join Date: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs233 View Post
Not wishing to be too far off topic but I think that recruitment and employment in general in many parts of the railway these days is odd to say the least. Whilst I no longer work in the railway these days and post from a neutral perspective I feel it is very much at odds. I find the driver grade the strangest. We have train drivers in some cases earning higher salary payments than first officers in 737\A32x aircraft.

It is upside down to say the least these first officers have in so many instances landed themselves in years of struggle and six figure debts to earn less than a job that can pass out qualified drivers in 12 months give or take.

I fail to understand the way the private railway system is heading in general, to me train drivers should earn little more than bus drivers as the job is comparable, whilst this may sound like a sweeping statement for the conditioned mind both positions are safety critical.

To me anyone that is presentable and has attention to detail can clean trains, any form of assessment is nothing short of a joke! What next passengers have to take psychometric tests before they can travel by train?!
That post should get this thread up to 50 pages or locked
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:11   #100
cs233
Member
 
Join Date: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darandio View Post
I couldn't care less about any air/railway comparisons, I was talking about making bus/railway comparable, it just isn't.
Do read the post I made in full, first officers taking aircraft from takeoff to cruise and landing in some airlines earn less than the driving grade from some TOC. A train driver can pass from nothing to qualified in a shortish time in-terms of learning professional skills in general. First officers take significantly more training and I would say require more skill and aptitude.

In addition driving a bus is a highly responsible job that equally deserves comparable remuneration to that of a train driver. Both positions are safety critical after all. job roles are normally remunerated in terms of responsibility and overall skill to conduct, although perhaps not where the rail industry is involved.
cs233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:23   #101
amateur
Member
 
Join Date: 23 Feb 2014
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 185 View Post
Actually wanting the job is perhaps the most positive attitude.

.
I wanted to know whether my rejecting a job, because it's not EXACTLY what I want, means I have the wrong attitude towards work, because I'm picky.

Some people will accept anything. Is that the attitude I should approach. Accept what is given, even if you don't like it.
amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 17:46.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2017