RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Traction & Rolling Stock

Old 5th March 2017, 21:14   #1276
jonmorris0844
Doesn't buy Carnets
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamedwards View Post
This probably the embankment rather than the train. I get rough riding on the slow lines on all the other trains too. There was major work done here a few years back when it gave way.
It will clearly be the track that causes the problem, but I recall just how bad 377s were on anything less than perfect track.

Point is, other stock doesn't bounce and shake quite uncomfortably as the 387s do. First time it happens, you can be excused for thinking there's actually a defect on the train/track and something bad could be about to happen.

A bit like when people first hear the banging noises as you go through a neutral section.
jonmorris0844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 10th March 2017, 15:22   #1277
Failed Unit
Established Member

Not sure if it is a diagrammed run but saw one today on the 1514 London - Cambridge service. I know some of the diagrams but 387s on fast Cambridge work.

Wonder what the passengers on that run think? I they all get a seat they may view it as an upgrade on a downgraded 365 they are used to. Don't get why the didn't leave the seat layout alone one the 365s.
Failed Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 21:57   #1278
bramling
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Unit View Post
Not sure if it is a diagrammed run but saw one today on the 1514 London - Cambridge service. I know some of the diagrams but 387s on fast Cambridge work.

Wonder what the passengers on that run think? I they all get a seat they may view it as an upgrade on a downgraded 365 they are used to. Don't get why the didn't leave the seat layout alone one the 365s.
My guess is it was to create two rows of priority seats which I believe require extra, perhaps a mandated minimum, legroom pitch.

Of course, regulars are surprisingly quick to spot these sorts of things, so as legroom is something people value on busy services, guess which seats are now extra quick to be taken on a busy service, thus *reducing* their availability to the people they're intended to benefit?

The above is informed speculation, but I can't think of any other logical reason for doing it.

It creates a lot of squabbles especially at weekends, for example when a family turn up at King's Cross at the last moment and expect to find a table seat, then starting a conflict when they arrogantly expect a lone person to move.
bramling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 22:45   #1279
jonmorris0844
Doesn't buy Carnets
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramling View Post
It creates a lot of squabbles especially at weekends, for example when a family turn up at King's Cross at the last moment and expect to find a table seat, then starting a conflict when they arrogantly expect a lone person to move.
I moved today from a table to let people sit together, and they were somewhat shocked. I asked them, however (was on my own, so I didn't care either way). Not so sure I'd have responded as well if asked in a demanding fashion.

[sarcasm]Walking through first class, it seems that GTR has done a great job with these. Clearly they're selling loads of first class tickets now going by how crowded first is. Even at 9pm.[/sarcasm]

Seen the first RPI now wearing the new 'passenger host' badge. Came through from FPK to KGX, so the train was near empty by then - but I am sure he had some fun in first class!
Old 10th March 2017, 22:48   #1280
Skimble19
Established Member

Quote:
My guess is it was to create two rows of priority seats which I believe require extra, perhaps a mandated minimum, legroom pitch.

Of course, regulars are surprisingly quick to spot these sorts of things, so as legroom is something people value on busy services, guess which seats are now extra quick to be taken on a busy service, thus *reducing* their availability to the people they're intended to benefit?

The above is informed speculation, but I can't think of any other logical reason for doing it.

At the time the refurbishment was started (so around 3 years ago now) I believe it was also mentioned that it was to make the layout closer to that of the 700s, I.e less bays and more airline.

It is a shame however that the bays weren't moved to the middle of the carriage as there are now far more seats facing one direction than the other.
Skimble19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 03:21   #1281
D365
Not a Class 40
Established Member

Quote:

The clue is in the name, priority seats means that able occupants should move.
D365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 09:49   #1282
Hadders
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimble19 View Post
At the time the refurbishment was started (so around 3 years ago now) I believe it was also mentioned that it was to make the layout closer to that of the 700s, I.e less bays and more airline.

It is a shame however that the bays weren't moved to the middle of the carriage as there are now far more seats facing one direction than the other.
The refresh of the 365s was a dumbing down to prepare us for the 700s. No carpet, harsh lighting, airline seats.

I get that priority seats are needed but why not remove a row of seats and at the same time increase the amount of standing area nearer to the doors? This wouldn't have needed the whole ambience of the train to have been ruined which is what they ended up doing.

I suppose we should be grateful that they didn't remove the seat back tables...
Hadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 12:10   #1283
bramling
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D365 View Post
The clue is in the name, priority seats means that able occupants should move.
Should.

Back in the real world...

Especially when someone has specifically selected the seat because it offers superior comfort.
bramling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 12:40   #1284
jonmorris0844
Doesn't buy Carnets
Veteran Member

It's not so easy to tell you're in a priority seat, and the stickers showing you are sitting in one seem to be gradually getting peeled off.

They might wish to use stickers that are a bit stickier!

Last edited by jonmorris0844; 11th March 2017 at 12:41.
Old 17th March 2017, 00:01   #1285
Fuzzytop

apologies if the answer to this is elsewhere, but anyone any clue as to what 3C01 will be in the early hours of Saturday? I guess it could be a test run of a 387 to King's Lynn?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/trai...03/18/advanced
Fuzzytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 13:45   #1286
phoenixcronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Unit View Post

Will the GN 387s ever get their doors repainted blue? I think it would look very nice.
phoenixcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 18:35   #1287
physics34
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixcronin View Post
Will the GN 387s ever get their doors repainted blue? I think it would look very nice.
will certainly make sense... and it could just be done using vinyls.... just as southeastern has done to its 377/5s.

GTR currently though are not keen on spending any money at the moment though
physics34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 01:01   #1288
D365
Not a Class 40
Established Member

Was the Great Northern Railway rolling stock not primarily green in colour?
D365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 01:13   #1289
387star
Established Member

When does the loaned to gatwick express white 387/1 return to great northern ?
387star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 10:38   #1290
Class455

Quote:
Originally Posted by 387star View Post
When does the loaned to gatwick express white 387/1 return to great northern ?
When 387 210 returns from Derby.
Class455 is offline   Reply With Quote