RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 2nd January 2017, 18:58   #1
superalbs

Default ICE3 Cab Frosted Glass?

About a year ago I was on an ICE3 service between Brussels Midi/Zuid and Köln Hbf, and at some points the driver frosted up the screen.

Is there any reason that the screen was frosted up at these locations? Are there specific locations at which the screen is to be frosted up? If so, why?

Thanks
superalbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:00   #2
Ianno87
Established Member

I believe its done when running on restrictive aspects, or other times of higher than 'normal' workload (possibly voltage changeovers?)
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:30   #3
47513 Severn

I believe it happens automatically during (or as a result of) voltage changes. It certainly always happens when passing through Emmerich on the Amsterdam services.

During my last German trip in November I noticed more and more drivers running with the glass permanently frosted. As the latest ICE sets don't have the seated area behind the cab at all it maybe that this little perk is being phased out generally.
47513 Severn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:33   #4
superalbs

Thanks for the answers.

It would be a shame to see it phased out, but I'm glad I had a go while it was in place.
superalbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 22:23   #5
MarcVD

Those glass panels need à voltage to be applied to become transparent and become opaque when not. So as at all voltage changeover the electricity supply briefly disappears at that moment you can not see through.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 09:29   #6
Senex
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Those glass panels need à voltage to be applied to become transparent and become opaque when not. So as at all voltage changeover the electricity supply briefly disappears at that moment you can not see through.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
That, and driver control. The idea was not that driver control should be for the driver's convenience but as a means of shutting off the forward view if there was something the passengers would be better off not seeing. Indeed, at least at first I believe there was a rule that drivers should not obscure the screen for their convenience. (Who remembers the early British DMUs with the drop-down blinds behind the driver. At first during daytime there was almost always a good forward view for passengers, but bit by bit more and more drivers took to keeping the blinds down.)
Senex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 14:13   #7
33Hz

I was luck enough to recently have a trip where the driver left the glass unfrosted the whole way (except for the brief voltage change at Aachen) and the door wide open. The clearest views I'd ever had of the route. Really shows you they have almost no visibility at night.
33Hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 14:15   #8
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
I was luck enough to recently have a trip where the driver left the glass unfrosted the whole way (except for the brief voltage change at Aachen) and the door wide open. The clearest views I'd ever had of the route. Really shows you they have almost no visibility at night.
TBH I wasn't too impressed with the view - it's a small window and quite high up. Quite different from the view out of a 1st generation DMU with a wall of glass in front of the driver (which for crashworthiness reasons is not likely to be replicated any time soon).
Old 4th January 2017, 14:24   #9
33Hz

I find it depends on which seat you sit in. The best view out is the isle seat in the second row I think. If you want to see the instruments then the front row corner seats are better. I had the whole compartment to myself this time so I was able to hop about and stand up to get better views.

I always try to sit up front because one day these ICE 3s will be gone and there will be no more 320 kmh view out.
Old 5th January 2017, 07:01   #10
Senex
Established Member

Quote:
I find it depends on which seat you sit in. The best view out is the isle seat in the second row I think.
Agreed!
Senex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:48   #11
Dougal2345

Quote:
I always try to sit up front because one day these ICE 3s will be gone and there will be no more 320 kmh view out.
I've had no luck at all with these on my occasional rides over the past few years... For example, a fortnight ago I did Brussels to Köln, then to-day München to Frankfurt, then Frankfurt to Brussels, and just had a wall of grey in front of my nose. I'm wondering whether to write to DB's customer relations and see what they say, but my German's not up to it...
Dougal2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:52   #12
Established Member

You can try them in English...

It is, as others have said, an increasing problem.
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:53   #13
ainsworth74

I rather gamble that if you send the email in English they'll be able to reply in English.
ainsworth74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03   #14
33Hz

It's definitely getting worse. I've had a few grey walls lately, the most recent trip the driver was doing his preparations quite happily with the glass transparent until he spotted that I had sneaked into the compartment and was minding my own business, when he abruptly frosted the glass and that was it for the rest of the time he was driving.
Old Today, 09:19   #15
StephenHunter

I suppose that drivers don't like being watched... perhaps they should install a monitor and front view camera instead?
StephenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote