RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 13th October 2016, 16:52   #1
reb0118
Fares Advisor

Default Warsaw - St. Petersburg Railway (Southern Part)

Next January I've got a weeks annual leave and quite fancy a wee trip on the southern part of the Warsaw to St. Petersburg Railway. Specifically from Warsaw to Białstok (overnight), then Grodno (overnight), bus to Marcinkonys, then finally local train to Vilnius.

I will be using a FIP free coupon for the Polish element.

I have a few questions:-

1)Is it possible to get a ticket from Kuźnica Białostocka to Grodno in advance as I will probably need it to obtain a Belarussian transit visa.

2) Does anyone have any information about buses from Grodno to the Lithuanian border. Timetables, prices, &c..

3) Re. the Belarus transit visa. It is valid for 48hrs but is this a strict 48hrs or in reality "two days". I will enter Belarus at 14:30 on a Tuesday and wish to leave Thursday morning. Does anyone have experience of the Belarus visa regime?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by reb0118; 13th October 2016 at 16:55.
reb0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 13th October 2016, 22:20   #2
Established Member

If no-one here comes up with the goods, may I suggest posting (in English) on Drehscheibe-online as there seem to be a number of members who are familiar with the area.
30907 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 14:48   #3
beermaddavep

https://www.autobusubilietai.lt for bus times out of Grodno into Lithuania.

Picking a day at random, the only sensible option is the 0900 departure-

https://www.autobusubilietai.lt/inde...ravel_to=689-1
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

And to cross from Poland into Belarus--Again, just a random date. PKP website won't sell the tickets, but the ever dependable Polrail will, although not from the border station----

https://booking.polrail.com/index.ph...017&language=n

HTH

Last edited by beermaddavep; 14th October 2016 at 14:48. Reason: Double post prevention system
beermaddavep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 00:45   #4
reb0118
Fares Advisor

Thanks for the replies chaps. I've managed to find times from Grodno to Vilnius via Malosomewhereorother for the Wednesday evening - this will give us three nights there or we may have two in Białystok.

Still at the planing stage.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Old 15th October 2016, 08:08   #5
goatie

Bialystok is quite nice but not should what it will be look in the winter
we went there last summer, but the train service was closed as they were up rating the whole of the line
not they cheap now we got 7+ zls now its 5+ zls = £
goatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 19:15   #6
Harbornite
On Moderation

This thread may be of interest, regarding travel to Russia via Belarus.

http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/for...7966100,page=1
Harbornite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 17:10   #7
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

Regarding the Belarussian transit visa, I can tell you that you will have to go to the consular section of Belarussian Embassy in Kensington Court, (enter downstairs, their open Monday's, Tuesday's, Thursday's and Friday's 09:30-12:30only), with your passport, photograph, supporting travel documents and competed application form for TYPE B VISA Find it here:

http://uk.mfa.gov.by/en/consular_issues/visas/

And the processing fee, (note, they only accept euro now as of July). When I made the trip from Kiev - Minsk - Vilnius in December it was £15.
I think they also do a next day collection fast-track service for an extra fee but their very efficient.
Be prepared, not all of the staff there speak anglitskii!

I have to say that I've never heard of someone wanting to transit across Belarus from Poland to Lithuania though. I'd heard of people being refused with no reason given when applying to do what I did from Ukraine to Lithuania, so for me it was very much a jump into the unknown and it certainly was from the minute I boarded the night train at Kiev Pass! Expect very heavy security at the border. These guys certainly don't screw around!
I believe the TYBE B visa is valid for 48 hours from entry to exit, so for me it was an easy and cheap way to spend a day exploring Minsk, arriving early in the the morning on the night train from Kiev in plastkartny -(that journey was an experience that ill never forget!), and then nearly missing the last train to Vilnius that evening!!

I didn't have the time to spend a night there as I had a flight to catch from Vilnius back to Glasgow for Christmas but would love to hear your experiences.
Belarus is a great country and one of the last bastions of old Europe, (have you done the PMR, aka "Transnistria"?!).
I hope to get back again soon too.
Do let hs know how you get on and have a great trip!

Hope this helps, any questions, just ask.
Old 6th November 2016, 20:40   #8
dutchflyer

As you can also read in that DSO german forum: there are many talks about the Grodno area opening up for visa-free travel, expected some time in next year 2017. Coulkd (initially) be limited to Polish/Lithuanians however. A similar scheme already exists for some wildlife park near Brest.
In the past the usual route (when it was all CCCP=USSR anyway) from Poland to Leningrad (then) was via Grodno, and for some time after the Baltics became independent it was still so-untill the direct route was opened.
After that Byelorus even refused to issue transit-visa for that route for some time. it did not make much sense either, as for some years Poland-Lithuania are in the check-free Schengenzone.
dutchflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 20:30   #9
reb0118
Fares Advisor

Well, that's my application in for a transit visa so just a waiting game. One word of warning as of 1st January all visas for UK citizens are now 60€ for simplification reasons.

Old 13th January 2017, 10:41   #10
TravelDream

Visa free entry for five days for British Citizens from February - BUT only if entering through Minsk airport.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/belarus-s...174004851.html
TravelDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 13:14   #11
reb0118
Fares Advisor

Yep, spotted that. If this trip proves successful then we might return.

Old 13th January 2017, 23:42   #12
Taunton
Established Member

If you get all the way to St Petersburg there is a spectacular but little known railway museum there, alongside the Baltic railway station (it's on the approach tracks to the old Warsaw station, once alongside, now closed. Use the Metro to get to that station. Must be about 60 locos or more, they seem to have one of everything from Soviet days, steam, diesel and electric. Open air. Here it is on Google Maps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@59.90.../data=!3m1!1e3

Bureaucracy and paperwork are tedious but if complied with you will not have any problems. If they say "up to 10 days" for visas they only count working days, and not the day you hand it in, and they are never even looked at until day 9 - but you will get it on day 10. This approach encourages the more expensive "express" route. Things were ever this way, not only in Soviet days but way back in Czar days as well. A 1914 Continental Bradshaw has a lengthy note about it.

Last edited by Taunton; 13th January 2017 at 23:43.
Taunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2017, 23:38   #13
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

That's a pity about them putting the price up for the visa.. Wishing a made another trip during '16 now.
Would have thought it was more tit for tat with the western sanctions against Russia but that certainly is interesting about them opening up for five days if you fly in through Minsk National. Guess their trying to win business for Belavia?! Wonder if they still fly to Manchester?
Old 15th January 2017, 13:02   #14
reb0118
Fares Advisor

Well, visa was granted. All set.

Old 17th January 2017, 02:38   #15
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

Excellent have a good trip!