RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 6th January 2017, 21:42   #16
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddington View Post
You can book UK to Frankfurt and back on the Eurostar website for as low as £45 each way
I believe it's 120 days in advance.

This gives you the option of any ICE train from Brussels on the same day, but there are only two you can take anyway: 1025-1324 and 1425-1741
The Eurostar site hasnt caught up with the improved services - 1225 out and ca 1230 back both FSuO and 16xx out/0830 back daily (the outward misses its ex London connection SX - I presume it's off-pattern due to pathing).
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 7th January 2017, 17:18   #17
pitdiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Coach almost certainly cheapest, but I can't see it being anything other than utterly grim.
You are quite correct coach would be grim. I used to work for NX so got a bit of a discount. However London to Nice was awful despite the cheap fare.
pitdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 18:38   #18
bradford758

I've been to Frankfurt, flying to Stuttgart, then advance rail ticket (Sparpreis), not too bad a journey.
There's flights to Köln, but couldn't get the details up for my particular journey.

Last edited by bradford758; 7th January 2017 at 18:43.
bradford758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 21:09   #19
Dhassell

Have you thought about trying another way, Maybe flying to a place like Berlin and then getting the ICE down through to Frankfurt?
Dhassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 18:39   #20
EM2
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhassell View Post
Have you thought about trying another way, Maybe flying to a place like Berlin and then getting the ICE down through to Frankfurt?
The issue with flying is how long it takes to get to an airport, the time the flights leave, the time you have to spend there before you actually get on the plane and the cost involved in getting there.
It will probably be marginally cheaper and marginally quicker, but with all the aggravation involved, I'm not sure the saving is worth it.
When you bear in mid that it takes me twenty minutes on a bus to Ebbsfleet and the gig venue is 800m from Frankfurt station, the train is looking very attractive *if* I can get it cheap enough.
Old 8th January 2017, 21:59   #21
Established Member

Looks like £65/EUR80 single is par for the course in summer - perhaps a bit less in November. You might save by splitting at Koeln or Brussels, but I doubt it would be much
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 16:59   #22
paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30907 View Post
Looks like £65/EUR80 single is par for the course in summer - perhaps a bit less in November. You might save by splitting at Koeln or Brussels, but I doubt it would be much
If you split then you need to allow time for Eurostar delays, otherwise you risk having to buy a new full price DB ticket.

I have recently increased my Eurostar patronage, and half of the time the prices London to Germany are cheaper than London to Brussels... in fact I decided to buy the German ticket a couple of times even when I wasn't going to Germany.... But I am purchasing only a week or two in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhassell View Post
This is madness even without the additional information that the OP's destination is within walking distance from Frankfurt station. ICE from Berlin to Frankfurt takes over 4 hours.

http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=lcy-fra-t...X=640x320&PM=*

Tbh I would be taking the train even if it cost more than the total cost of flying (which includes getting to the airports) unless I had a particular interest in the route of the train to the airport or something

Last edited by paddington; 10th January 2017 at 17:01.
paddington is offline   Reply With Quote