RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 21st July 2014, 18:53   #1
RPI

Default first Kernow

Doesn't seem to be a specific thread for First's Cornish operations in general.
Some news is that First will be running the 21, currently WG 521 between St Austell and Newquay from September
RPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 21st July 2014, 20:03   #2
SWTH

Out of interest where did you hear this?
SWTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 20:37   #3
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member

Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTH View Post
Out of interest where did you hear this?
My question too.....can we have a source as that would be a very intriguing development?
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 20:40   #4
SWTH

Nothing in the last two N&P's.
Old 21st July 2014, 22:30   #5
South Westerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo View Post
My question too.....can we have a source as that would be a very intriguing development?
Competitive shot across WGLs bows in return for a few recent WGL incursions...
South Westerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 22:40   #6
matt_splat

if this is true would be a interesting development.

It would be intresting to see what would happen if first did go up against western greyhound could it be the final nail in the coffin?

Cornish busways make some intresting comments on the facebook page surrounding the service 29
matt_splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 22:45   #7
swifty
Pedantic Realist

I noticed a registration for an 89 service along the same route as the 597 last week, is this an enhancement of the Truro - Newquay leg alongside the 88?
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 22:59   #8
RPI

Can't reveal my source, just watch this space.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 88 between Truro and Falmouth is to become the U1 and U2 using 12 plate enviro 400's from Plymouth, but someone has already mentioned this somewhere on here, not sure what will replace them in Plymouth though.

Last edited by RPI; 21st July 2014 at 22:59. Reason: Double post prevention system
RPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 23:27   #9
swifty
Pedantic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI View Post
Can't reveal my source, just watch this space.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The 88 between Truro and Falmouth is to become the U1 and U2 using 12 plate enviro 400's from Plymouth, but someone has already mentioned this somewhere on here, not sure what will replace them in Plymouth though.
The B7Ls from Somerset by the looks if it, they're due a refurb and repaint in due course
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:15   #10
SWTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I noticed a registration for an 89 service along the same route as the 597 last week, is this an enhancement of the Truro - Newquay leg alongside the 88?
I've just checked the latest N&P (8th July) and there's nothing listed in sections 3.1 to 3.4 for a service 89 by FDC?

It'd be interesting to see if First do try and compete, it would however be a complete reversal of their strategy for the last decade of concentrating on everything west of Truro with only a few minor extensions (i.e the 88 and 27) further east.
Old 22nd July 2014, 06:48   #11
richw
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI View Post
I've been given this information by a First Kernow employee. He says U1 and U2 will by the 88 and 41 respectively. They will have a separate branding and their own livery, believed to be an all over blue but unconfirmed as yet.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 06:53   #12
South Westerly

Quote:
I've just checked the latest N&P (8th July) and there's nothing listed in sections 3.1 to 3.4 for a service 89 by FDC?

It'd be interesting to see if First do try and compete, it would however be a complete reversal of their strategy for the last decade of concentrating on everything west of Truro with only a few minor extensions (i.e the 88 and 27) further east.
There is of course a difference between competing head to head, and putting a shot across the bows. I guess that First has suffered from its competitors assuming it will just roll over for them and therefore needs to send a message out that it won't. Looks like it is FDC where the message is strongest - in Plymouth against GoAhead with the 6 and all the fares etc, in Somerset against Webberbus with the fares and from this weekend a serious assault on their routes, and now in Cornwall with WGL. They certainly don't appear to be afraid to hit back and pretty effectively.
South Westerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 06:58   #13
richw
Established Member

16th July a large number of applications were made, the interesting ones are below:

PH0004983/187 - FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7JT
Variation Accepted: Operating between FALMOUTH Moor and TRURO Treliske Hospital/NEWQUAY Bus Station given service number U1/231/233/U3 effective from 07-Sep-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0004983/498 - FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7JT
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Truro Bus Station
Finish Point: Newquay, Manor Park Bus Station
Via: Trispen, Quintrell Downs
Service Number: 89
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 07-SEP-2014
Other Details: Monday to Saturday except public holidays.

PH0004983/179 - FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7JT
Variation Accepted: Operating between Troon Square and Falmouth Hotel given service number U2 effective from 07-Sep-2014. To amend Timetable.

The U1, U2 & U3 are all apparently going to have their own branding and livery, rumoured to be all over blue.

There are a number of cancellations in Plymouth, maybe explains where we are getting the Enviros from.

Last edited by richw; 22nd July 2014 at 06:59.
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:08   #14
TheGrandWazoo
Established Member

Location: Somerset with international travel (e.g. across the Severn)

There are two questions that spring to mind.

A) Still nothing official on First appearing on the 21/521 whether that be from the company or via VOSA etc
B) Assuming that the E400s are taken to Cornwall, what replaces them on the Tavistock service and how does that play with the long term future of First Devon?
TheGrandWazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:17   #15
richw
Established Member

Quote:
Accepted by the traffic commissioner on 16th July, due to start 7th September.