RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railtours & Preservation

Old 18th April 2016, 07:46   #1
Flying Phil

Default GCR Bridge Project

As a very new member on here, I hope this is not too presumptuous....However I have been a very long time member of the GCR (- in fact member #8 of the MLPG) and am really pleased that the original dreams are coming true with the building of the bridge(s) and embankment to rejoin the two sections.
Would it be possible to use this thread to post much more regular updates and pictures of this project as the GC website and Mainline magazine are not easily updated it seems. I'm sure there are local members who could post their pictures of this exciting project over the next few months/years.
Flying Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 18th April 2016, 08:51   #2
John Webb

Welcome to the Forum! There is already an extensive thread on this project, although I regret I've forgotten the title of it! Rather than start this new one, you may find that established thread a better place?
Old 18th April 2016, 09:12   #3
Flying Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Webb View Post
Welcome to the Forum! There is already an extensive thread on this project, although I regret I've forgotten the title of it! Rather than start this new one, you may find that established thread a better place?
Thanks John
I did have a look and saw a thread about GCR North Nottingham which did have a bit re the bridge but not the current status. Have I missed another thread? If so, it makes sense to only have one specific thread.
Old 18th April 2016, 11:32   #4
AndyW33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Phil View Post
Would it be possible to use this thread to post much more regular updates and pictures of this project as the GC website and Mainline magazine are not easily updated it seems. I'm sure there are local members who could post their pictures of this exciting project over the next few months/years.
The latest edition of the (quarterly) members magazine Mainline came out last week with an update, and features the "Cutting the first sod" ceremony on the cover. There won't be another update this way for 3 months, but then again there probably won't be anything new to show pictures of much before then.

There's no new activity on site at the moment for the website or magazine to report because the first phase was vegetation clearance and cutting back the old embankment to create room for the new bridge abutments to be built, and this is now completed.
Next the canal bridge refurbishment and the construction of the abutments for the Midland Main Line bridge get under way. The installation of the new bridge requires a full possession on the MML and is currently pencilled in for Christmas.
A lot of the work is behind the scenes or off-site at the moment, finalising the detail design of the new bridge, getting tenders for fabricating and installing it, submitting plans for installing the further bridges over the PreciSpark car park entrance and Railway Terrace, and the 300 metres or so of missing embankment, and waiting for planning approval (and Network Rail's final approval of design and installation arrangements as far as the over-rail bridge is concerned).
AndyW33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 13:58   #5
Flying Phil

Thanks Andy, I suppose I am being impatient.......But I know the GCR is fundraising for this project and they really could do with keeping it's profile high, so any pictures of progress - however small, will help to do that.
Old 18th April 2016, 14:32   #6
John Webb

Quote:
Thanks John
I did have a look and saw a thread about GCR North Nottingham which did have a bit re the bridge but not the current status. Have I missed another thread? If so, it makes sense to only have one specific thread.
Oops! Sorry - got confused with a thread on another Forum! Yes, go ahead on this thread - a most interesting project.
Old 18th April 2016, 15:34   #7
STEVIEBOY1
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW33 View Post
The latest edition of the (quarterly) members magazine Mainline came out last week with an update, and features the "Cutting the first sod" ceremony on the cover. There won't be another update this way for 3 months, but then again there probably won't be anything new to show pictures of much before then.

There's no new activity on site at the moment for the website or magazine to report because the first phase was vegetation clearance and cutting back the old embankment to create room for the new bridge abutments to be built, and this is now completed.
Next the canal bridge refurbishment and the construction of the abutments for the Midland Main Line bridge get under way. The installation of the new bridge requires a full possession on the MML and is currently pencilled in for Christmas.
A lot of the work is behind the scenes or off-site at the moment, finalising the detail design of the new bridge, getting tenders for fabricating and installing it, submitting plans for installing the further bridges over the PreciSpark car park entrance and Railway Terrace, and the 300 metres or so of missing embankment, and waiting for planning approval (and Network Rail's final approval of design and installation arrangements as far as the over-rail bridge is concerned).

I am pleased to hear that this exciting project seems to be moving forward so well. I have traveled on both parts of the GCR and it will be great when they are connected up. It will give a good longish trip. I presume trains will have to reverse in and out of Ruddington? will there be run around facilities there too?
STEVIEBOY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 16:15   #8
AndyW33

Quote:
Thanks Andy, I suppose I am being impatient.......But I know the GCR is fundraising for this project and they really could do with keeping it's profile high, so any pictures of progress - however small, will help to do that.
Why not sign up for the GCR's free weekly newsletter RailMail:
http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/newsletter/
This way you'll see exactly what is happening without relying on individuals being able to take and to post photos here at just the right time.
The whole project in terms of visibility is likely to consist of short bursts of highly concentrated activity followed by lengthy periods when not a lot seems to be happening while, say, newly built embankment sections consolidate, or concrete cures. This isn't like the Bluebell's massive and highly successful project to reconnect to East Grinstead where progress could be measured by trainloads of rubbish removed from the cutting.
Old 21st April 2016, 20:56   #9
Flying Phil

Thanks for that link Andy - I visit the GCR website on a regular basis and have not seen the newsletter link before.... I wonder how many other people have missed it?
Anyway, I have signed up, but would still like to see if other people can post info/pictures on here to maintain the interest in the project.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I visited Loughborough GC Station yesterday and took some pictures of the "Gap" between the two railways that is going to be filled over the next three(?) years.

These locomotives were there as well.

Last edited by Flying Phil; 21st April 2016 at 20:56. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 28th April 2016, 20:04   #10
Monty
Tail Lamp
Established Member

What are the plans for the MPD? It currently sit's on the former GC trackbed before crossing the the MML and will be have to be relocated before trains will be able to head over the new link. A while ago it was planned to move he old Workington steam shed but it's gone all quiet on that front. I'd also like to know what the GCR (N) plan to do after the link is complete as their line is considerably less developed than their southern neighbour.
Old 28th April 2016, 20:07   #11
ilkestonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
What are the plans for the MPD? It currently sit's on the former GC trackbed before crossing the the MML and will be have to be relocated before trains will be able to head over the new link. A while ago it was planned to move he old Workington steam shed but it's gone all quiet on that front. I'd also like to know what the GCR (N) plan to do after the link is complete as their line is considerably less developed than their southern neighbour.
Is relocation of the MPD strictly necessary?

I may be wrong here, as I'm relying on memory with regard to something I read ages ago, but I thought there was room for one line to pass the MPD, and as the link is single-track, that would be sufficient.

Last edited by ilkestonian; 28th April 2016 at 20:08.
ilkestonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 20:30   #12
Monty
Tail Lamp
Established Member

The shed itself sits right on the former track bed, looking on Google earth you may squeeze a single track on the left hand side of the shed bit would mean a pretty sharpe curve afterwards in order to get any new line to go over the canal bridge.
Old 30th April 2016, 12:56   #13
mr_jrt

I can understand the obvious reasons why the link is being built as a single track, but are the new abutments being built to take a future second line if one becomes feasible? Given the width of the alignment building a second abutment alongside in the future strikes me as difficult as there won't be room to splay out, meaning the original abutment would need modification, probably requiring the decks to be removed...
mr_jrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2016, 05:38   #14
AndyW33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
I can understand the obvious reasons why the link is being built as a single track, but are the new abutments being built to take a future second line if one becomes feasible? Given the width of the alignment building a second abutment alongside in the future strikes me as difficult as there won't be room to splay out, meaning the original abutment would need modification, probably requiring the decks to be removed...
There are two issues.
One is that on the north side of the MML, following BR's construction of the spur down to the MML in the 1970s, there isn't quite enough formation width for double track until the original GC line and the BR spur are at the same level.
The other is that south of the MML, where the embankment was removed, there is again not quite sufficient reserved land to reinstate a double track embankment.

So as there's no possibility of double track either side of the re-instated bridge without removing both the BR spur(which is in use for revenue freight and is a major part of the entire justification of the project) and the Preci-Spark factory building, why incur the expense of building double track abutments?
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:41   #15
mr_jrt

I had a look at the planning application which kind of answered my query, but I'd not considered the levels due to the MML spur. If the will was there I presume the northern embankment could fairly easily be built up with the spur alongside at a different level though.

As for the south side, AFAICS the (northern) factory doesn't look to be too much of a problem, it just seems to be their (northern) car park? More of an issue seems to be the requirement for increased clearances on Railway Terrace due to the need to provide access to the refuse site for tall lorries, meaning the surviving abutment would have been too short anyway.

...or is it the southern factory that's the issue?

EDIT:
Meant to mention, given the realignment is basically adjacent to the original double track alignment around the MML, there should be plenty of room to reinstate a 2nd line if Preci-Spark ever decides to sell as effectively you'd have a triple-track alignment available to work with, which is nice.

Though, it still doesn't answer how the issue of the levels with the spur are going to be resolved?

Last edited by mr_jrt; 2nd May 2016 at 10:59.
mr_jrt is offline   Reply With Quote