RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 22nd December 2016, 13:57   #46
nom de guerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
But 67573 (I have the N gauge model of same by Minitrix!) worked vice a unit a couple of days ago, so as usual the end has not been the end.
Yes, I saw that too

Will be interesting to see how often vices occur...
nom de guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 29th December 2016, 08:43   #47
DaiGog

Quote:
Bordeaux - Nantes / Ussel / Limoges just announced as another take over from SNCF by the region (Nouvelle Aquitaine). New trains planned by 2018 (as per press release)

Thanks for that, Gordon. So just to be sure, if I cover the Saturday IC from Bordeaux (0910-ish) to Ussel this year it should still be 67400-hauled?

Last edited by DaiGog; 29th December 2016 at 08:45.
DaiGog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 01:04   #48
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiGog View Post
Thanks for that, Gordon. So just to be sure, if I cover the Saturday IC from Bordeaux (0910-ish) to Ussel this year it should still be 67400-hauled?
Looks like it.

The suggestion is that corails will survive until the new stock arrives in 2018, however 'usual disclaimers apply' because this is French railways, and there is always a chance that some sort of cascade takes place of units made available elsewhere in France you never know...

Old 30th December 2016, 14:40   #49
MarcVD

Just did Amiens-Etaples yesterday afternoon. BB67400+9 corail coaches. Traction exchange in Amiens. Photographies taken of the whole action. I will try to post them here once I'm back home.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk
MarcVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 16:14   #50
DaiGog

Quote:
Looks like it.

The suggestion is that corails will survive until the new stock arrives in 2018, however 'usual disclaimers apply' because this is French railways, and there is always a chance that some sort of cascade takes place of units made available elsewhere in France you never know...

Sounds fairly safe then. Intended visit is the end of April, so looks worth a go. Thanks again.
Old 30th December 2016, 16:54   #51
Castle Cary

just catching up - belatedly - on this thread. Mention was made of Paris - Cherbourg which services sports a selection of power units. However, contracts have now been exchanged for the Region to acquire double deck units to replace the loco hauled stock, so time is running out.
Castle Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 00:58   #52
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle Cary View Post
just catching up - belatedly - on this thread. Mention was made of Paris - Cherbourg which services sports a selection of power units. However, contracts have now been exchanged for the Region to acquire double deck units to replace the loco hauled stock, so time is running out.

I think, essentially, time is now running out on everything.

There seem to be very few routes now where some sort of plan has not been made for new EMUs.

All very boring...

The notion from now on would seem to be go to any route that you like the look of which still has traditional loco hauled trains and see them sooner rather than later.

Old 31st December 2016, 00:59   #53
Gordon

Quote:
Sounds fairly safe then. Intended visit is the end of April, so looks worth a go. Thanks again.
Sooner the better I'd say, and April seems 'sooner' enough

Old 3rd January 2017, 16:16   #54
DaiGog

Quote:
Sooner the better I'd say, and April seems 'sooner' enough

One last question from me if I may - are the 67400-hauled services out of Clermont-Ferrand still likely to be hauled in April 2017, and are they peak hours only Mon to Fri?

OK, it was two questions.......
Old 4th January 2017, 01:49   #55
Gordon

Quote:
One last question from me if I may - are the 67400-hauled services out of Clermont-Ferrand still likely to be hauled in April 2017, and are they peak hours only Mon to Fri?

I would say yes and yes.

Clermont has been cited as the possible last bastion of commuter 67400s, partly because Nevers depot has always been a depot where traction goes to eek out its last years (eg with 141R steam in the early 1970s and the X3800 Picasso in the late 1980s)

Weekdays away from holiday periods has always been the best bet for commuter workings on SNCF. Going way back several decades, I used to ensure that I went on a weekday when you might get, say a BB13000 monocabine on green stock in Lorraine... The same train at weekends or around holiday times would either not run or be operated by a unit or at best a more modern loco.

Old 4th January 2017, 13:36   #56
DaiGog

Cheers Gordon.
Old 4th January 2017, 21:02   #57
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

Quote:

There were still plenty of hauled turns when I was there in November. I stayed in "Grand Hotel de Midi", right next to the station on Soviet Union Street! V nice and v reasonable too.
I just showed up in the afternoon (as advised by our resident SNCF guru here - monsieur Gordon!), after I woke up after a night of sampling the local bevy and found a BB67400 and ab RRR waiting for me on a local job to Vic Le Comte about 13:00ish and bashed that up there and back before scoring another to Gannat and then doing another to Moulins Sur Allier and back to Clermont.
Auvergne is a beautiful region. Was great to explore the villages between turns and get down with the locals at le tebac!

I heartily recommend a visit to Clermont and the local environs and make the most of the haulage while you can as Gordon said.

Be sure to check out le 1513 in le Centre Ville in Clermont.
Le best crepes in France!

Enjoy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mugridge View Post
They have about a year left.

There's three diagrams off peak, which can be had relatively easily. They form an hourly from Melun to Montereau and the way the timetable works means all three can be had along with two of the loco hauled TER diagrams that run in the same paths as the regular fast units on the Melun run from Gare de Lyon.

If you start on a loco hauled xx.49 ( one every two hours; 12.49 is a good one as you'd be traveling at a fairly quiet time ) off Gare de Lyon to Melun, then you can do the following:

Go Melun – Champagne – Hericy – Montereau. Could push it one stop further for both bits of the middle sector but then it starts getting a bit tight, especially if you try to go one beyond Hericy, which is a +18 if both are on time. ( One beyond Champagne is much easier but offers less shelter if the weather is poor! ).

This then puts you at Montereau in time to return to Gare de Lyon behind a different loco haulage diagram... Alternatively detrain at Melun and await the additional off peak diagrams.

A five zone ticket will cover all this.
Merci beaucoup monsieur mugridge!

I will be sure to give that plan a try towards the end of the month or February if possible!
Only an ES away -(or maybe ill try and and to London - Paris the traditional route through Douvres - Calais again!), -no five zone ticket required for the ATOC / RDG / GTR slaves amongst us! FIP is a godsend!!
Oh et bonne année

et viva de France et l'Écosse de l'Édimbourg!

Last edited by Please Explain; 4th January 2017 at 21:02. Reason: Double post prevention system
Please Explain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 15:36   #58
DaiGog

Thanks again gents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Explain View Post
after I woke up after a night of sampling the local bevy
Anywhere in particular you would recommend for that?
Old 14th January 2017, 23:44   #59
Please Explain
Le Vauban...

Le 1513 is a must not only for the crepes but they have some nice beers too, Wally Field Corner -Irish bar in le Centre Ville was also good fun
Gordon, you wouldn't happen to know the latest on the new units for line 4 would you?

As I didn't manage to get in a last ride behind a CC 72100 in November on the Belfort I am now looking to get back over some time next month.
Do you think they'll still be running then or has the Régiolis onslaught already begun?!

And while I'm at it, do we have a final date for BB 67400's on the Boulogne's??

Thanks as always.

Last edited by Please Explain; 14th January 2017 at 23:47. Reason: Double post prevention system
Please Explain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 00:37   #60
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Explain View Post
Gordon, you wouldn't happen to know the latest on the new units for line 4 would you?

As I didn't manage to get in a last ride behind a CC 72100 in November on the Belfort I am now looking to get back over some time next month.
Do you think they'll still be running then or has the Régiolis onslaught already begun?!

And while I'm at it, do we have a final date for BB 67400's on the Boulogne's??

Thanks as always.
Line 4 Two trains each way plastic from early February - snore

Will be a sad day when it all goes plastic. In recent years there has been nothing quite like a full Paris - Belfort journey in acknowledged comfortable Corail stock behind a big diesel for 4+ hours.
I will never forget my even better full length trips back from annual Easter Swiss skiing trips 6 - 7 years ago when on two occasions we travelled 5+ hours Mulhouse - Paris throughout

Boulogne should last a while longer (maybe...), the difference being (I think) that the Paris - Amiens leg is tied in with other Paris Nord electric loco and hauled stock diagramming, so whilst there are 22200 + hauled Corail running to other places (eg Maubeuge) they may as well include the Amiens leg in that - even though thta means a loco change at Amiens. The odd thing is that Regiolis had already 'taken over' but were then taken off the route again.