RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Old 9th January 2017, 17:02   #16
otter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by embers25 View Post
According to http://data.atoc.org/rp_calc it's only valid via Westbury
As I suspected, but thanks for clarifying. I thought there might be an easement or something, due to the fact that if travelling from Theale to Bradford on Avon the most sensible route would almost certainly be via Bath.
otter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th January 2017, 17:38   #17
Romilly
Established Member

I agree that this is slightly confusing, in that some journey planners will offer an itinerary via Bath for a Theale/Bradford-on-Avon ticket, whilst NRE says that two tickets are required for that journey.

The routeing guide says that Westbury Group is a routeing point both for Theale and for Bradford-on-Avon. This means that the only permitted routes are the shortest, a route not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest, and the route via Westbury (if not within the first two categories).

Theale to BOA via Westbury is 61.5 miles. Theale to BOA via Bath is 85.75 miles.

So I conclude that a Theale-BOA ticket is ... valid only via Westbury.

Last edited by Romilly; 10th January 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Removing the misleading "not" from the final sentence
Romilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 23:03   #18
otter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romilly View Post
I agree that this is slightly confusing, in that some journey planners will offer an itinerary via Bath for a Theale/Bradford-on-Avon ticket, whilst NRE says that two tickets are required for that journey.

The routeing guide says that Westbury Group is a routeing point both for Theale and for Bradford-on-Avon. This means that the only permitted routes are the shortest, a route not more than 3 miles longer than the shortest, and the route via Westbury (if not within the first two categories).

Theale to BOA via Westbury is 61.5 miles. Theale to BOA via Bath is 85.75 miles.

So I conclude that a Theale-BOA ticket is not valid only via Westbury.
Very clear explanation, thanks very much.
Old 10th January 2017, 10:47   #19
Romilly
Established Member

Glad to help, although you will presumably have realised that my final sentence was meant to say:

Quote:
So I conclude that a Theale-BOA ticket is ... valid only via Westbury
Romilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 10:57   #20
Indigo2
www.brfares.com
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter11 View Post
**EDIT: Actually, the National Rail website seems to suggest that BOA-THE is not valid via bath and reading - however the GWR website seems happy to sell me a ticket for that itinerary. Bit confused now...
The GWR website is powered by the Atos WebTIS booking engine, which seems to have quite a few bugs in its routeing guide implementation. I wouldn't trust what it tells you...
Indigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 23:50   #21
kieron
Established Member

Quote:
As I suspected, but thanks for clarifying. I thought there might be an easement or something, due to the fact that if travelling from Theale to Bradford on Avon the most sensible route would almost certainly be via Bath.
There are some "Routeing Point" easements for both Bradford on Avon (700370) and Theale (40005 and 300391), but the National Rail site may decide not to consider these when the ends of a route has a routeing point in common.
kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 23:53   #22
otter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron View Post
There are some "Routeing Point" easements for both Bradford on Avon (700370) and Theale (40005 and 300391), but the National Rail site may decide not to consider these when the ends of a route has a routeing point in common.
So is it correct that easements should not apply when stations have a common routing point? I did wonder if the 40005 easement was relevant here, but concluded it probably wasnt:

" Customers travelling from Bedwyn, Hungerford, Kintbury, Newbury, Newbury Racecourse, Thatcham, Midgham, Aldermaston and Theale to Didcot Parkway and
beyond may travel via Reading West. This easement applies in both directions."

Last edited by otter11; 11th January 2017 at 00:00.
Old 11th January 2017, 23:49   #23
kieron
Established Member

Quote:
So is it correct that easements should not apply when stations have a common routing point?
I only know what has been published about it.

Page 10 of the National Routeing Guide in Detail document defines them as:
Routeing point easements, which allow a routeing point to be used which the
fares check would otherwise forbid. They may also disallow a routeing point
which the ordinary rules of the Routeing Guide would permit.
Page 4 defines the rule in terms of a situation where the origin and destination station do not have a routeing point in common. Both Bath and Reading would fail the fare check for a Bradford on Avon-Theale journey, but this would not affect the valid routes between them if there were no easements. What that means for a situation where there are easements is not set out explicitly in anything I've seen.
kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 08:23   #24
Indigo2
www.brfares.com
Established Member

For the past year or two the official easement list has included a column "Category" - it is my understanding that easements of category "Routeing Point" or "Map" are not relevant for local journeys where there is a routeing point in common. But the other easements do apply.
Indigo2 is offline   Reply With Quote