RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2016, 10:11   #1
infobleep
Established Member

Default Walking quicker than the bus journey

How often is walking in London quicker than a bus?

Whats the longest bus journey you've done where walking would have been quicker?

Due to a burst water main on Esher High Street, which I didn't know about in advance, walking for an hour today would have got me to my destination more quickly than my bus journey. That's because I had to wait some time for the bus and when it did finally arrive or I should say three of them arrive, so many people were getting on, it got further delayed. Then once it reached another point, there was a gap of 6 minutes or more between three buses and whatever was in front, at a point where 6 routes converge I might add! With students getting on here it further delayed. It then got delayed as they all got off.

That's not the first time where walking for an hour would be quicker but it is unusual. More common is where walking for 20 minutes is quicker, as quick or not much slower.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 7th December 2016, 10:11   #2
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Anything on Oxford St.
Old 7th December 2016, 10:28   #3
gordonthemoron
Established Member

South Bank-Kings Cross
Old 7th December 2016, 13:36   #4
infobleep
Established Member

How long are those journeys?

Old 7th December 2016, 13:37   #5
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonthemoron View Post
South Bank-Kings Cross
Is it? I find the 59 reasonably quick.
Old 7th December 2016, 16:54   #6
paulweaver
On Moderation

Due to central line problems one day I had to get off the tube at east acton, I was heading for euston. Got a bus to ladbroke grove. About 15 minute wait and the bus seemed to take forever. Looks like the 2 miles is a 35 minute walk, I suspect

I've always regretted taking the bus from White City to Hammersmith in the past. In rush hour it's certainly slower than walking.

SMWBO always reminds me of the time I told her to get the #49 from Clapham Junction to Shepherds Bush. Took her over 90 minutes for a 4 mile trip.
Old 7th December 2016, 17:44   #7
the101

Someone told me that the average speed of the 100 route in London during peak hours has been calculated at 3mph, hence all able-bodied people should be able to walk faster than buses on it during rush hours. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why the flywheels on the E200s used on the 100 has no effect on fuel consumption.
Old 7th December 2016, 18:20   #8
infobleep
Established Member

This evening the bus was quicker than walking but if I'd left in time to catch a bus when it should arrive, the chances are I may have missed my train. Leaving earlier would have meant the bus wasn't much quicker than walking if at all, as I'd just be hangijf around at my destination. I did that anyway for a few minutes but it was still less time.

The walk was just a short 20 minute one.

Or course this then leads onto the point, at what point is a walk no longer considered short. Is 20 minutes short? Be in mind that is a walk at a reasonable pace for part of the walk, not average Google maps directions pace.

Last edited by infobleep; 7th December 2016 at 18:21.
Old 7th December 2016, 22:35   #9
Busaholic
Established Member

I can provide an instance when, indubitably, a bus journey took exactly the same time as walking would have done. It was on the 160, from Catford to Eltham, still the same journey now as it was in the early 1960s when this occurred. We'd somehow got to school that morning (I think it was the time when 5 of the scheduled 9 buses on the route arrived together!) through the smog, which lasted all day. My school didn't do wimpish, so we didn't get let out a minute earlier than the scheduled 4 p.m. My school mates and I were quite pleasantly surprised when a 160 turned up quite quickly, even more surprised that its destination was Welling i.e. the whole route. We crawled through the fog along the Brownhill Road but when we got to Westhorne Avenue it had really become impenetrable. The driver and conductor had a conflab, the next thing the conductor produced a flare from somewhere and proceeded to walk in front of the bus, including across the A20 roundabout. When we got to Eltham Green, the first recognised emergency turning point on the route, the bus stopped for a while and I got mentally prepared for a walk, but no, the bus driver and conductor made the decision they'd get the bus to Eltham, Southend Crescent, often used as a late-running terminus, BUT they'd avoid the Middle Park Estate and go straight up Eltham Hill, which may have been the first and (possibly) last time that a 160 in service has done that. I believe that was the last 160 that got through to Eltham that evening, and the bus was driven out-of-service back to Catford Garage. So the bus was driven at the conductor's walking pace, and it was a route that traditionally was worked by older crews. I have since seen a piece written by someone who had the same experience with a 75 bus, almost certainly on the same day, and that shared a garage and some of the route with the 160.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by the101 View Post
Someone told me that the average speed of the 100 route in London during peak hours has been calculated at 3mph, hence all able-bodied people should be able to walk faster than buses on it during rush hours. Incidentally, this is one of the reasons why the flywheels on the E200s used on the 100 has no effect on fuel consumption.
Probably one of the reasons why the 100 is proposed to be cut back from Elephant to the Barbican next year.

Last edited by Busaholic; 7th December 2016 at 22:35. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 8th December 2016, 00:02   #10
Ant158

Fulford Road in York can be another one where it's quicker to walk i.e. Especially when First decide to abandon Fulford road residents and divert the 7.

I have tried the, I'll try and beat the next bus by walking from bus stop to bus stop, looking over my shoulder every few mins.

Last edited by Ant158; 8th December 2016 at 00:06.
Old 8th December 2016, 01:34   #11
fgwrich
Established Member

Quite a few routes around Basingstoke can be quicker to walk around and into town than on the bus. Such are the mess of the routes these day's that it people are starting to find walking is quicker.
Old 8th December 2016, 08:57   #12
DanTrainMan185
Human Geographer
Established Member

Whilst certainly not a long distance anyway, walking from the Broadmead/Cabot area in Bristol to the harbourside is generally quicker than a bus which will get stuck in traffic on Rupert Street.
Old 8th December 2016, 12:04   #13
Deerfold
Established Member

I was in London a couple of months ago. I was on Oxford Street, and was due to meet someone at Kings Cross for lunch. I had 90 minutes to get there and had already spent much of the morning walking, so jumped on a 73. An hour later, I was the last but one person on the bus to finally give up on it. It was still on Oxford Street. I just made my lunch date on time.
Old 8th December 2016, 21:59   #14
Busaholic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfold View Post
I was in London a couple of months ago. I was on Oxford Street, and was due to meet someone at Kings Cross for lunch. I had 90 minutes to get there and had already spent much of the morning walking, so jumped on a 73. An hour later, I was the last but one person on the bus to finally give up on it. It was still on Oxford Street. I just made my lunch date on time.
A good illustration of why passenger numbers are declining in central and inner London. TfL cited the 73 recently in their 'consultation' proposals (the 73 to be cut west of Oxford Circus)
Old 8th December 2016, 22:25   #15
nickw1

From where I am in Southampton (near the BlueStar 1 route) it's quicker to walk the 35 minutes into town if you want to get into town for dead-on 0900. This is because buses actually get _less_ frequent at this time, with one 20 or 25 minute gap while the normal gap is 15.

A side effect of extra timing for traffic, and (I suspect) no extra vehicles being used in the peak hour compared to the off peak.

Evenings is another example... for a large-ish city bus frequencies are not great on many routes in the evenings and if the bus is at the "wrong" time to get to an evening event, a walk can be quicker.

Last edited by nickw1; 8th December 2016 at 22:31.
Closed Thread