RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 27th December 2016, 10:57   #1
swt class 450

Location: Sometimes in Betchworth and Box Hill & Westhumble area and sometimes in Lewes and Cooksbridge area.
Default Questions about using Eurostar trains.

I just have a few questions about using Eurostar trains. I always travel by Ferry (usually from Dover to Calais) when i have visited other countries so i have never used Eurostar yet (but i am considering possibly using it soon). If anyone has used Eurostar or knows the answer to these questions that would be much appreciated.

Can you just turn up at the station on the day and buy a train ticket? If so what is latest that you can arrive at the station? And is there a website like www.brfares.com that shows their fares if you just turn up and buy on the day?

Do you have to have a seat reservation? If so are you allowed to sit elsewhere if it is empty and are you allowed to stand?

Do you have to get a ticket for a specific train? Or can you get a ticket that lets you use any train on that day (like National Rail tickets do). Can you break your journey?

Is there any security and passport control? If so what does it involve? Is it very strict and are there lots of restrictions on what you can bring? Is it similar to Airport security (i have never been on an Airplane but have heard that Airport security is very strict)?

Many thanks.
Old 27th December 2016, 13:02   #2
duesselmartin

Eurostar has compulsory reservation, so yes, you have to stick to a certain train. Security is Airport Style, a minimum of 30 min is needed, preferably more.
Last time I travelled, there were two passport controlls at St. Pancras, UK exit and French/Schengen entry controlls.
duesselmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 13:54   #3
AlexNL

Reservations are compulsory. Depending on the type of your ticket, you can exchange your reservation for an earlier or later train either before or after departure, depending on availability. You are guaranteed a seat.
AlexNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:10   #4
Phil.
Established Member

Just to make something clear. Where advice has been given about the necessity of making a reservation you don't reserve a seat when buying a ticket. The number of passengers carried is limited by the number of seats on the train. So when you buy a ticket you restricted to the specific train and are allocated a seat in a coach on that train. Think airlines. However, if you do manage to board the wrong train - it's pretty common when people turn up very early - unlike domestic TOCs you won't be treated like a criminally minded cash cow. Normally you'll get "found out" before departure when the rightful owner of the seat allocation turns up. Ticket checks on the train are virtually non-existent, there are no Eurostar RPIs.
There's nothing really to stop you sitting in an unoccupied seat but be prepared to move if someone joins at an intermediate station who has that seat allocation.
There are a number of things that will not be allowed ranging from the obvious - knives - to the not so obvious - drinks in containers.
Phil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:13   #5
Polarbear

Fares vary on Eurostar, dependant on time/date of travel and of course, class of travel. The company operates more in the style of an airline rather than a traditional rail company, and fares are pitched very much towards encouraging advance booking in standard class. A fare chart can be found on the Eurostar website, (the full one, not the mobile one). I've searched through the site map and found this useful section on fares. http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel...fares-and-fees

In the early days, Eurostar used to sell "walk up" day returns at weekends for £59 on the day. Those days are long gone though & whilst it's possible to buy tickets on the day of travel, they will not be cheap. If you intend going first class, you will be ok, but at £245 single, it's definitely not a cheap option!

You have to have a valid passport & will be required to show this at customs. Unlike airlines, you can take 2 bags with you for no charge & regardless of weight, (as long as you can move it, you should be ok). Check in is up to 30 minutes before departure, but I'd be inclined to leave a bit more time if possible.

Last edited by Polarbear; 28th December 2016 at 09:01. Reason: added link to Eurostar fares index
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:57   #6
Mainline421

Quote:
Originally Posted by swt class 450 View Post
I just have a few questions about using Eurostar trains. I always travel by Ferry (usually from Dover to Calais) when i have visited other countries so i have never used Eurostar yet (but i am considering possibly using it soon). If anyone has used Eurostar or knows the answer to these questions that would be much appreciated.
Can you just turn up at the station on the day and buy a train ticket? If so what is latest that you can arrive at the station? And is there a website like www.brfares.com that shows their fares if you just turn up and buy on the day?
Yes, but it will be very expensive. The latest you can arrive is 30 minutes before for standard/premier or 10 minutes for business premier (1st).

Quote:
Do you have to have a seat reservation? If so are you allowed to sit elsewhere if it is empty and are you allowed to stand?
Reservations are mandatory but I believe standing can occur as full price tickets are still sold after all seats are full.
Quote:
Do you have to get a ticket for a specific train? Or can you get a ticket that lets you use any train on that day (like National Rail tickets do). Can you break your journey?
You can get flexible tickets, but they are very expensive 1st class only. These allow travel on any train but you still must select one when booking and then you can just turn up later or earlier for another train if you wish.
Quote:
Is there any security and passport control? If so what does it involve? Is it very strict and are there lots of restrictions on what you can bring? Is it similar to Airport security (i have never been on an Airplane but have heard that Airport security is very strict)?
Not airport security strict as liquids etc. can still be taken on board.

Seat61.com has all the information you could need.
Mainline421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:40   #7
eastwestdivide
Established Member

I had the impression that standing isn't permitted, and they don't sell more tickets than seats:
when I came back from Paris this year on a heavily-disrupted day, the check-in was open while two trains were in the platforms. Once I was on board, they announced that we wouldn't be leaving as we had too many people on board, and until the people without a ticket for that specific train had got off, we weren't going anywhere. They said this was down to the regulations for the Channel Tunnel, which don't allow more passengers than seats.
eastwestdivide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 17:32   #8
Hadders
Established Member

In theory you can buy a ticket on the day but it's very expensive so unless you'e got money to burn you'll need to book ahead. In layman's terms it's Advanced only.

You'll need a passport, latest check in is 30 minutes before departure. You have to go through airport style security but it's more relaxed, eg you can take a can of deoderant larger than 100ml.
Hadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 18:50   #9
Phil.
Established Member

Standing in normal circumstances is not permitted. As I stated in an earlier post the number of tickets sold is limited by the seating capacity of the train. What will be sold as a last resort are the tip-up seats in the door vestibules of 373s - I have no knowledge or experience of the German trains - both First and Standards.
The only time standing has occurred has been when a failed train has had it's passengers decanted on to a service rescue train.
Oh, and don't just turn up on the day and buy a ticket, you may as well stand on a street corner and hand out tenners. Book as far ahead as possible, this is a railway that thinks that it's an airline.

I'm not theorising or quoting a mate who's brother knows a bloke who met a bloke in a pub that.........
I spent 18 years in Eurostar train operations.

Last edited by Phil.; 27th December 2016 at 18:52.
Phil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 21:41   #10
Established Member

From memory you are allowed to sit in the vestibule tip-ups if you prefer, except for those at the very rear (and front?) of the train whilst it's in the tunnel.
317666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 21:49   #11
Peter Mugridge
Established Member

That is correct, I have used those seats on a few occasions when the computer allocated me a particularly poor seat position. Note that the new 374s do not have tip up seats, however.

These days I know which seat choices I want and do a specific seat selection when I book my tickets.

One other thing to be aware of - they have recently slapped on a surcharge for booking in person at St Pancras; I think it's £20 per booking ( NOT per ticket ).
Peter Mugridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:59   #12
swt class 450

Location: Sometimes in Betchworth and Box Hill & Westhumble area and sometimes in Lewes and Cooksbridge area.

Thanks for all the info. Its very helpful. Its a shame that Eurostar dont cater more for those who want to just turn up before their train on the day. I think i will just have to pay extra and turn up on the day and buy my ticket. I dont really like booking in advance or restricting myself to using a certain train.

If i was to buy my ticket on the day is it a simple process? Do i just go to the ticket office and ask and pay for my ticket? Or do you have to give your name and address and passport and personal details?

Also what exactly does "Check In" mean (for example it says you must "Check In" 30 minutes before your train)? Does this mean the latest you can buy a ticket is 30 minutes before your train? Or does this mean the latest you can go through security or passport checks is 30 minutes before your train?
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:56   #13
duesselmartin

Check in, scanning your ticket at the security gate.
duesselmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 13:57   #14
Peter Mugridge
Established Member

Quote:
If I was to buy my ticket on the day is it a simple process? Do I just go to the ticket office and ask and pay for my ticket? Or do you have to give your name and address and passport and personal details?
It's a simple process, but can be quite slow as there are only a few ticket desks ( they're opposite the check in ) and be prepared to pay through the nose assuming there are any seats available.

You will need to show ID, such as a passport, but you'll have that with you anyway if you're planning on travelling straight away.
Peter Mugridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:10   #15
trainmania100
High Calibre Trainspotter

I never knew it was airport style security
I havent seen those metal detector things at ashford nor st pancras