RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Railway History & Nostalgia

Old 31st December 2016, 15:55   #16
MarlowDonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post

Are there any bits of the current franchises that also used to be NSE?
Everything that ran into a London terminal was either NSE or Inter City. NSE got some of the longer distance routes such as Waterloo to Exeter and Paddington to Worcester.
MarlowDonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 3rd January 2017, 19:33   #17
Taunton
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urpert View Post
I have an image in BR Traction in Colour (1987) which shows the launch day, 10 June 1986, with 50023 Hood and 455850/872 being driven into platforms 1 and 2 at Waterloo simultaneously. The other units in the picture are all in blue/grey.
I went through Waterloo by chance that morning, probably about 0800, and 50023 and stock were in Platform 1, with the name on the loco covered over. They had propelled out again by the time I departed into the south side sidings, presumably to come back to the unveiling committee at a more appropriate time. Didn't quite understand until I saw the evening TV news.

In the following years I regularly went up to Liverpool for the weekend. There was a Sunday evening service from Lime Street back to Euston which, at a time when Mk 3 were the norm, was always formed of NSE Mk 1 stock from the Northampton service, not in the full livery but blue/grey with the decals. The Mk 1 side corridor Firsts were available for the weekend £1 supplement, and I invariably got a compartment to myself. It was a far more refined and comfortable experience than anything I've experienced on the WCML since then.

Last edited by Taunton; 3rd January 2017 at 19:38.
Taunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 19:43   #18
Cowley
I'm only here to relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I went through Waterloo by chance that morning, probably about 0800, and 50023 and stock were in Platform 1, with the name on the loco covered over. They had propelled out again by the time I departed into the south side sidings, presumably to come back to the unveiling committee at a more appropriate time. Didn't quite understand until I saw the evening TV news.

In the following years I regularly went up to Liverpool for the weekend. There was a Sunday evening service from Lime Street back to Euston which, at a time when Mk 3 were the norm, was always formed of NSE Mk 1 stock from the Northampton service, not in the full livery but blue/grey with the decals. The Mk 1 side corridor Firsts were available for the weekend £1 supplement, and I invariably got a compartment to myself. It was a far more refined and comfortable experience than anything I've experienced on the WCML since then.
It was a big deal to have a new livery in those days.
When I saw 50017 from the opposite side of the station I couldn't work out what I was seeing either, the only locos I could think of with white around the double windscreens were Hymeks!
Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 22:26   #19
Peter Mugridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowley View Post
It was a big deal to have a new livery in those days.
Indeed it was - when the five different sector versions of Trainload Grey were launched it made headline news in all the broadcast and printed media and was being trumpeted as "the only freight livery there will ever be from now on!"

Ha...!!
Peter Mugridge is offline   Reply With Quote