RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 30th December 2016, 23:56   #1
DRSavenger008

Default Scenic European loco hauled services

Good evening all, currently planning a interailing trip across Europe for next summer and was wondering if anyone on here could recommend good routes to do that have garaunteed loco haulage, decent distance, lots of choice of locos and possibly even decent scenery? Will probably travel between different countries using OBB's sleeper trains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers. Also, does anyone know what diagrams the remaining hungarian class 56 operates?

Last edited by DRSavenger008; 31st December 2016 at 00:51.
DRSavenger008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 31st December 2016, 01:00   #2
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRSavenger008 View Post
Good evening all, currently planning a interailing trip across Europe for next summer and was wondering if anyone on here could recommend good routes to do that have garaunteed loco haulage, decent distance, lots of choice of locos and possibly even decent scenery? Will probably travel between different countries using OBB's sleeper trains. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers. Also, does anyone know what diagrams the remaining hungarian class 56 operates?
Anywhere in Eastern Europe probably the best bet.

Old 31st December 2016, 07:10   #3
STEVIEBOY1
Established Member

I went on a trip a couple of years ago from Perpignan to Toulouse and onto the Southwest Atlantic Coast and that was loco hauled, there were also a couple of changes of direction where the loco shunted from one end to the other of the train. The rolling stock I think was old IC or Corail I think. I also did a trip from Paris Aust to the Dordogne and that was loco hauled a couple of years ago. It was interesting as it went past the test tracks of a high speed monorail route they were looking into in the 1970s.
STEVIEBOY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 08:25   #4
Polarbear

Switzerland & Austria also have quite a few loco hauled services. Whilst the distances may not be great (especially in Switzerland), the scenery is generally very good indeed!
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 10:26   #5
duesselmartin

The Arlberg route from Innsbruck to Switzerland ist great. Also, classic IC trains still run along the middle rhine. Munich to Zürich trains are still diesel hauled in and out of Munich
duesselmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 10:41   #6
DRSavenger008

Thanks for the help so far, I'm planning on starting in Budapest and finishing in Paris before getting the eurostar.

Last edited by DRSavenger008; 31st December 2016 at 10:42.
DRSavenger008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 11:16   #7
70014IronDuke

Much of Hungary, southern Slovakia and northern Serbia (Voivodina) are fairly flat, along with much of the Zagreb - Belgrade.

Budapest - Bratislava - Brno - Prague - Berlin trains are loco-hauled. The Brno-Prague section is wonderful rolling hills. Much of Czech is lovely travelling, little branch lines still open. Search for past posts on Czech Republic. A lot of information available.

You might consider going Budapest - Veszprem (take a trip towards Gyor - this is the scenic line where the 56 clashed with a lorry a few weeks back - search thread in here) - and then going back to Veszprem and take the Citadella (one train, daily) to Slovenia. Loco hauled, but now electrified in Slovenia all the way, but still scenic, especially Zidani Most to Ljubljana (the Sava Valley). You could then go to Koper, on the Adriatic coast - tremendous bank down to the coast - and/or take the Soca Valley line (Isonzo in Italian) north, and change onto a Ljubljana - Munich train at Lece-Bled. These are also loco hauled. All have stunning scenery.
70014IronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 11:34   #8
Blillpers

Norway would be an excellent choice. All trains on the Oslo - Bergen and Trondheim - Bodö lines are loco hauled (the latter diesel operated) as well as some on the Oslo - Trondheim and Oslo - Kristiansand - Stavanger lines. The scenery is outstanding, with the Bergen line propably the best. Oslo - Trondheim is my personal favourite.
Old 31st December 2016, 13:18   #9
daikilo

Still a couple of loco-hauled on Toulouse-Paris Austerlitz and several on Toulouse-Bayonne in autumn 2016. Probably still a few Nantes-Bordeaux-Toulouse-Marseille but TGVs encroaching. In general look for "Intercite" in SNCF booking engine on these routes. I believe that name is sometimes used for the new AGV DMU/EMU in other parts of the country.

Last edited by daikilo; 31st December 2016 at 13:21.
daikilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 13:27   #10
Established Member

As far as 'lots of choice of locos' goes, I would personally recommend the Czech Republic. Scenery-wise, you can't go wrong with Switzerland - both the SBB and some of the narrow gauge lines feature many loco-hauled trains.
317666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 15:10   #11
eastwestdivide
Established Member

Italy? Plenty of IC services are loco-hauled. Try an IC service along the Ligurian coast (either side of Genova). Also many Regionale / Regionale Veloce trains are push-pull electric locos (E464 I think?).
From Northern Germany through to Switzerland, there's EC7 Hamburg-Interlaken and EC9 Hamburg-Zurich, both via the Rhine gorge. Still booked for loco+comfortable Swiss IC coaches.
There's a couple of long-distance private operators worth a look too, Thello running Marseille/Nice-Milan, and Locomore operating Stuttgart-Berlin with older loco-hauled stock.
eastwestdivide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 16:19   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesselmartin View Post
The Arlberg route from Innsbruck to Switzerland ist great. Also, classic IC trains still run along the middle rhine. Munich to Zürich trains are still diesel hauled in and out of Munich
Depends if you class a Railjet as a loco hauled service.
However EC Transalpin Zurich - Graz is a pure hauled service right through the Austrian alps - planning to use it myself this summer.

The line through central Slovakia Banska Bystrica - Kosice is worth a flag-up.
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2016, 19:58   #13
ChiefPlanner
Established Member

Verona - Innsbruck - OBB stock - superb range of scenery.
ChiefPlanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 15:47   #14
Iskra

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestdivide View Post
Italy? Plenty of IC services are loco-hauled. Try an IC service along the Ligurian coast (either side of Genova). Also many Regionale / Regionale Veloce trains are push-pull electric locos (E464 I think?).
From Northern Germany through to Switzerland, there's EC7 Hamburg-Interlaken and EC9 Hamburg-Zurich, both via the Rhine gorge. Still booked for loco+comfortable Swiss IC coaches.
There's a couple of long-distance private operators worth a look too, Thello running Marseille/Nice-Milan, and Locomore operating Stuttgart-Berlin with older loco-hauled stock.
I'd second Italy, there's an abundance of LHCS, although much of it is electric, most lines are pretty scenic too due to the nature of Italy being either coastal or hilly.
Iskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 16:10   #15
rf_ioliver

All long distance services in Finland are locomotive hauled, with the exception of the Pendolinos. Locomotives tend to be the ubiquitous electric Sr2 with some Soviet build Sr1's still around. Dv12 diesel locos work the Seinäjoki-Jyväskylä services along with the single car Dm12 DMUs. Newer Siemens locos are appearing but haven't seen much of them so can't really comment, either way, nearly all LHCS here.

If you want distance I'd recommend the Helsinki-Rovaniemi Day or Helsinki-Rovaniemi-Kemijärvi Night trains.

If you want scenery then the line north from Kouvola via Mikkeli and Pieksämäki to Kuopio and Iisalmi is pretty good, as in the line east from Kouvola to Joensuu. The real gem is the Parikkala-Savonlinna line but that's run with Dm12 DMUs.

If you're obsessed with watching trains go backwards, LHCS to Helsinki is shunted back 4km via Pasila to the Pasila rail yards.

Scenery is basically trees puncutated by lakes and an occasional town. You might get lucky and see a moose or two running alongside the train.

t.

Ian
rf_ioliver is offline   Reply With Quote