RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Forums > Railway History & Nostalgia

Old 3rd January 2017, 23:13   #1
Raul_Duke

Default Surviving Woodhead Track

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate enough to talk to the railway photographer Les Nixon after one of his presentations.

One of the pictures was of a signal box on the woodhead line near a level crossing somewhere near Penistone.

He mentioned that the LC still had the rails inlaid and he thought it might be some of the last surviving track.

Unfortunately I've forgotten the directions/location he gave me.

Does anyone have any idea where I'm talking about?

Many thanks!!
Raul_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 4th January 2017, 08:33   #2
Springs Branch

There were only a couple of level crossings on the Woodhead route post-electrification.

Possibly what's being referred to is where the Woodhead line crossed Shore Hall Lane, a minor road south of Millhouse Green near Penistone.

You can still make out the rails in Google Street View where today's Trans Pennine Trail crosses the road (albeit with image heavily distorted up close).

Co-ordinates of this location are 53.5207127N, 1.6643618W
Springs Branch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017, 08:48   #3
sprinterguy
Revelry Connoisseur
Established Member

There's an even smaller crossing a short distance to the east of Shore Hall Lane, where the line was crossed by Bank House Lane, where the rails can also still be found embedded in the road surface.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:45   #4
Springs Branch

The OP mentioned a signalbox at the level crossing.
This must mean Thurlstone Crossing box.....

Thurlstone crossing box, June 1981 by Awwalker1, on Flickr

Thurlstone_1_Past by Alf Mullins, on Flickr

I couldn't quickly find the location of Thurlstone Crossing, but the very minor nature of the road crossing must mean it was at Bank House Lane, not Shore Hall Lane.
These two photos on Flickr show the remaining rail.....

Penistone - Dunford Bridge old railway - Thurlstone crossing and rail by Dave Attrill, on Flickr

Thurlstone Crossing by Keith Long, on Flickr

Last edited by Springs Branch; 4th January 2017 at 11:59. Reason: grammar
Old 4th January 2017, 12:45   #5
Ash Bridge
Established Member

I remember getting off a 323 EMU at Hadfield a few years back and noticed in the near distance beyond the buffer stops in the trackless section towards Sheffield there still stood a complete but derelict colour light signal atop its gantry, I think there was also a former OHLE support straddling the by then overgrown trackbed, does anyone know if they are still extant?
Ash Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 08:00   #6
Tracked
Post-What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Bridge View Post
I remember getting off a 323 EMU at Hadfield a few years back and noticed in the near distance beyond the buffer stops in the trackless section towards Sheffield there still stood a complete but derelict colour light signal atop its gantry, I think there was also a former OHLE support straddling the by then overgrown trackbed, does anyone know if they are still extant?
I went there a couple of years ago (27/1/15), they were still there. Also, there was a bit of old rail a bit further on from the station, just when you get onto the transpennine trail iirc. Have attached some photo's, didn't get a clearer shot of the signal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2539.jpg (227.2 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2538.jpg (218.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2537.jpg (218.0 KB, 89 views)
Old 8th January 2017, 10:12   #7
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracked View Post
I went there a couple of years ago (27/1/15), they were still there. Also, there was a bit of old rail a bit further on from the station, just when you get onto the transpennine trail iirc. Have attached some photo's, didn't get a clearer shot of the signal
Many thanks for this, much appreciated has to be about 16-17 years since my last visit, must admit Its a nice surprise that they are still extant (at least as recently as two years ago) and long may they remain! I can imagine that most people visiting in the summertime would fail to notice the signal gantry now due to the ever encroaching foliage, Nice shots btw.

Last edited by Ash Bridge; 8th January 2017 at 10:15.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:40   #8
Springs Branch

There is a shot on Flickr of the defunct colour light signal and OHLE gantry taken nearly 9 years ago with less growth of foliage .....

Hadfield Station by Keith Long, on Flickr
Old 8th January 2017, 21:41   #9
RichmondCommu
Established Member

Hmm I'd like to take a look at this. Is the signal on open access land? I don't fancy being chased off it by an angry land owner!

I have a lot of fond memories of the Woodhead route from 1976 onwards, including seeing a BOC tanker boiling away in the hot summer sun in the sidings at Woodhead! Memories!
RichmondCommu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 21:51   #10
Ash Bridge
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondCommu View Post
Hmm I'd like to take a look at this. Is the signal on open access land? I don't fancy being chased off it by an angry land owner!

I have a lot of fond memories of the Woodhead route from 1976 onwards, including seeing a BOC tanker boiling away in the hot summer sun in the sidings at Woodhead! Memories!
It was visible from the platform end when I noticed it although obviously the foliage has grown up a bit more since then although having just zoomed in on the above shot from tracked it still appears to be viewable from the platform at this leafless time of year.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:56   #11
sprinterguy
Revelry Connoisseur
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondCommu View Post
It's fenced off at the end where the line crossed Platt Street, and I suspect that the "angry land owner" would be Network Rail (Though Tracked would be stood to the north of the formation itself to take that photo).

Last edited by sprinterguy; 9th January 2017 at 09:28.
sprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 17:25   #12
Cowley
I'm only here to relax
Established Member

Great photos, very interesting. Apparently as a child we went over the Woodhead line on a Merrymaker going to somewhere but I was too young to remember it.
Cowley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 18:14   #13
Tracked
Post-What?

Thanks Guys

There was no close access to the old overhead gantry or the signal;

The shot of the old overhead gantry was from the platform of Hadfield station, the signal was taken from the footpath over the road (Platt Street) from the line, the rail was just off the path - there's a little car park where Platt Street goes under the old line, you can get onto the trail there and it'd be on your right hand side not too far up.

Just had a look on streetmaps, might've been luckier for the signal shot with it being winter & not much on the trees, if that helps for any planned visit