RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 6th January 2017, 17:40   #16
TheEdge
Probably tripping a 90
Established Member

Is it safe to assume if the stock is in DB red or ICE red and white its a DB service, anything else is a franchise or open access?
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 6th January 2017, 18:22   #17
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
Is it safe to assume if the stock is in DB red or ICE red and white its a DB service, anything else is a franchise or open access?
Difficult to say. For example I travelled from Nuremberg to Dresden with my German FIP coupon last year, changing at Hof. Nothing to alert me in the train number (sometimes that's a clue) that the train from Hof to Dresden would turn out to be a yellow / green EMU. So I assumed my FIP coupon wasn't valid.

With just a 4 minute connection there wasn't time to make enquiries, so off we went with me rehearsing my best German for when the conductor came round. Sure enough I showed my coupon and asked if it was OK. "Ja Danke", so no problem.

To this day I don't know whether my coupon was actually valid, it may have just been a friendly railwaywoman doing a fellow railwayman a favour.

Last edited by 306024; 6th January 2017 at 18:37.
306024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 18:50   #18
Suraggu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Are you sure that wasn't the price difference to ICE if you held a normal ticket (or e.g. InterRail)? It isn't reservations only, but it does have its own fare system which is more expensive than other trains - it's market priced like UK services rather than kilometric as the "base" regional fare is, and has long been like that.
I was using my DB Coupon between Koln and Frankfurt. I read that I didn't need a reservation but got chinged a few € with him stating in perfect English I needed a reservation. I didn't argue after a while. So I had a source taste afterwards hence I've avoided ICE since.
Old 6th January 2017, 18:57   #19
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraggu View Post
I was using my DB Coupon between Koln and Frankfurt. I read that I didn't need a reservation but got chinged a few € with him stating in perfect English I needed a reservation. I didn't argue after a while. So I had a source taste afterwards hence I've avoided ICE since.
That was all back in the day. It was a pleasant surprise when DB abolished the inter-city FIP supplement. Only for the Austrians to now take up the cause.
306024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 21:37   #20
Established Member

Quote:
There is virtually no open access in Germany. Apart from NJ, it's HKX and Locomore which between them run about 10 train pairs a week.

In general franchised services are part of the public "offer" just as in the UK, so Laender-Tickets, Schoenes Wochenende and ordinary tickets are valid (except on lines which are NOT part of the national network - and Usedom which is an oddity). I have no expertise about FIP coupons, sorry, as franchising didn't exist when I last used one - so that may not help.
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 23:33   #21
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

Default FIP in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraggu View Post

What did he issue you for your money? Or did he perhaps pocket it?

FWIW I just Googled the ICE Sprinter and they are no longer compulsory reservation. So Germany is now the same as the UK - reservation optional except night trains. But there was never an ICE Sprinter on your route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 7th January 2017, 07:42   #22
TheEdge
Probably tripping a 90
Established Member

Well I'm waiting for an answer from RDG for the Nightjet question. Need to be careful of these other operators then. Are there any of them (I'm thinking Metronom) that do accept FIP?

Last edited by TheEdge; 7th January 2017 at 07:45.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 12:06   #23
CC 72100
Established Member

Someone mentioned train numbers and differentiating between DB and local operators. Unfortunately the Interrail app (very useful!) doesn't show the operators, and only lists train numbers with the unique train ID (ie. RE 42315)

But if you have the DB Bahnhof live app (required data connection) then it will show you the operator (if private) and the service, but not the unique train number.

For example, for Hamburg Hbf at present:

RE 8 - 13:04 Lubeck Hbf (this is a DB Regio service)

ME RE5 - 13:06 Cuxhaven. (ME mening Metronom)

The seat moquette on Metronom's doubledeck stock is rather loud and garish, can't imagine it too pleasant if one has consumed a few drinks the night before!
CC 72100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 13:27   #24
TheEscapist_

Quote:
Well I'm waiting for an answer from RDG for the Nightjet question. Need to be careful of these other operators then. Are there any of them (I'm thinking Metronom) that do accept FIP?

I don't believe Metronom accept FIP. I was looking to use them last year but didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheEscapist_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:03   #25
DaiGog

In my experience the only compulsory reservation ICEs are the Paris - Strasbourg - Frankfurt/Stuttgart services. I have used ICE Sprinters within Germany, and international services between Brussels and Köln, and have never been charged anything with my FIP coupons. Thalys ticket inspectors are very keen however, so expect to be relieved of some cash if you board one of those with a FIP coupon.
DaiGog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:08   #26
gordonthemoron
Established Member

What on earth possessed UBB/DB to build a new 6 platform station at Swinemunde?
Old 9th January 2017, 09:19   #27
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiGog View Post
In my experience the only compulsory reservation ICEs are the Paris - Strasbourg - Frankfurt/Stuttgart services.
Ah, I forgot about those TGVs in ICE clothing. Is that what the poster upthread got charged on, perhaps?
Old 9th January 2017, 13:23   #28
Marklund

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiGog View Post
Thalys ticket inspectors are very keen however, so expect to be relieved of some cash if you board one of those with a FIP coupon.
That's because they're "Global Fare" Trains, and coupons alone aren't valid.
And there used to be only so many FIP places per train.
Marklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 14:59   #29
davetheguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonthemoron View Post
What on earth possessed UBB/DB to build a new 6 platform station at Swinemunde?
UBB Train in my photo is at Stralsund before departure to Swinemunde.
davetheguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 20:37   #30
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheguard View Post
UBB Train in my photo is at Stralsund before departure to Swinemunde.
.....and Swinoujscie Centrum has two platforms, one set of points and 3 signals IIRC. Generous by DB standards where they are quite happy to go for basic railway BR style.
30907 is offline   Reply With Quote