RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > International Transport

Old 9th January 2017, 23:35   #31
Neil Williams
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklund View Post
That's because they're "Global Fare" Trains, and coupons alone aren't valid.
And there used to be only so many FIP places per train.
Are they global fare throughout, or do they become regular ICEs within Germany?
Old 10th January 2017, 11:04   #32
DaiGog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Williams View Post
Are they global fare throughout, or do they become regular ICEs within Germany?
They are 'normal' ICEs within Germany.
DaiGog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 22:54   #33
jaapstam

Hello folks,

just joining in this thread it seems all questions have been solved so far. Anything else I can be helping with?

I am working for Deutsche Bahn in Germany. But please don't ask me about the OBB nightjet. That's new to me as well and I am not used to it until now

Anyway, have a safe and great journey throughout Germany!
jaapstam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 23:20   #34
TheEdge
Probably tripping a 90
Established Member

I'll jump in with some more trainspottery questions. Where can I find the new IC Doppelstock? Also are BR103s still running in service?
Old 13th January 2017, 23:35   #35
jaapstam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge View Post
I'll jump in with some more trainspottery questions. Where can I find the new IC Doppelstock? Also are BR103s still running in service?
Hi TheEdge,

IC Doppelstock are mainly used on the line from (Dresden-) Leipzig to Cologne and Norddeich Mole via Hanover.

BR103 is -unfortunately- not running any more in scheduled services.
Old 15th January 2017, 02:31   #36
Please Explain
Kedeng.. kedeng...

Guten abend jaapstam

Good to have you here!

That's a pity about the 103
Could you be so kind to tell me where DB N-wagen's and Bimz (I know about Locomore) cars can be found in service these days??

And to get back on topic, is it permitted to make an online booking for a sparpreis ticket or reservation with the "Bahncard 50" discount selected, but then present my FIP card to the Zugchef in place of the Bahncard?

Danke!
Old 15th January 2017, 07:46   #37
Gerald Fiennes

On the last point, strictly speaking the answer is no. But I have done this many times and only got a mild telling off for doing so once. It's the really best way of beating some of the horrendous queues at DB travel centres but the tariff complication is that the tickets bought with the Bahncard also give you free local transport at the beginning and end of the journey in most cities whereas there is not open to FIP card holders. DB's staff are very much more customer orientated than they used to be, thanks to major programmes of change instituted by DB's management in the past 20 years, so I think you will be fine.
Gerald Fiennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 07:48   #38
HA25322
A Big Ned

If I was you I wouldn't. Unless you are fluent in German. I have purchased children tickets vice FIP before and it has kicked off.
Also I believe that NO private operator accepts FIP in Germany. I did try with Metronom a few years ago but it is a definite no.
In respect of the doppelstock, the diagrams for the 146.5s are on ERG and shows where they go.
Old 15th January 2017, 11:03   #39
davetheguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Fiennes View Post
On the last point, strictly speaking the answer is no. But I have done this many times and only got a mild telling off for doing so once. It's the really best way of beating some of the horrendous queues at DB travel centres but the tariff complication is that the tickets bought with the Bahncard also give you free local transport at the beginning and end of the journey in most cities whereas there is not open to FIP card holders. DB's staff are very much more customer orientated than they used to be, thanks to major programmes of change instituted by DB's management in the past 20 years, so I think you will be fine.
You seem to be saying that you can get a FIP discount on a Sparpreis ticket. Are you sure that is correct? I'd always assumed that a FIP card only gave a discount on the full-fare ticket.

As a result I've bought public rate Sparpreis tickets a few times in the past, because they were cheaper than half price full fare......

Jaapstam: Halbpreis Sparpreis mit FIP Karte - ist es Gultig?

Last edited by davetheguard; 15th January 2017 at 11:07.
davetheguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 13:23   #40
jaapstam

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetheguard View Post
You seem to be saying that you can get a FIP discount on a Sparpreis ticket. Are you sure that is correct? I'd always assumed that a FIP card only gave a discount on the full-fare ticket.

As a result I've bought public rate Sparpreis tickets a few times in the past, because they were cheaper than half price full fare......

Jaapstam: Halbpreis Sparpreis mit FIP Karte - ist es Gultig?
Hello colleagues, hello all of you.

Considering the last point "Sparpreis Ticket 50% plus FIP": definitely no!

There might always be a friendly conductor that allows you to go on that, but officially it is not valid in this way. As mentioned before, the FIP entitles for a 50% discount on full fare tickets, not on Sparpreis tickets which already have a discount.

Remember: Sparpreis tickets are only valid in the designated train they were booked for. That means, if the conductor sticks to the rules and makes you leave the train with a "50% Sparpreis plus FIP"-ticket - you need a completely new ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Explain View Post
Guten abend jaapstam

Good to have you here!

That's a pity about the 103
Could you be so kind to tell me where DB N-wagen's and Bimz (I know about Locomore) cars can be found in service these days??

And to get back on topic, is it permitted to make an online booking for a sparpreis ticket or reservation with the "Bahncard 50" discount selected, but then present my FIP card to the Zugchef in place of the Bahncard?

Danke!
Hi "Please Explain",

concerning "n-Wagen" and "Bimz", I fear you are asking about the part of the fleet that is disappearing more and more. I don't know any line which is still completely served by both those cars...

There might be single trains containing them, for example additional commuter trains (I saw an n-Wagen composition just last week in the Frankfurt area). Bimz can be found in additional IC trains operating on fridays and sundays only. Look out for trains with a "19xx" number.

Kind regards
Jaap Stam

Last edited by jaapstam; 15th January 2017 at 13:23. Reason: Double post prevention system
Old 15th January 2017, 13:35   #41
HA25322
A Big Ned

You may find this site could help in respect of formations?
www.grahnert.de
Old 15th January 2017, 17:56   #42
Established Member

I think the area where you're most likely to still find n-Wagen is Stuttgart, although even there it's disappearing more and more.
317666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 01:35   #43
Please Explain
Kedeng.. kedeng...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapstam View Post
Hello colleagues, hello all of you.

Considering the last point "Sparpreis Ticket 50% plus FIP": definitely no!

There might always be a friendly conductor that allows you to go on that, but officially it is not valid in this way. As mentioned before, the FIP entitles for a 50% discount on full fare tickets, not on Sparpreis tickets which already have a discount.

Remember: Sparpreis tickets are only valid in the designated train they were booked for. That means, if the conductor sticks to the rules and makes you leave the train with a "50% Sparpreis plus FIP"-ticket - you need a completely new ticket.

Hi "Please Explain",

concerning "n-Wagen" and "Bimz", I fear you are asking about the part of the fleet that is disappearing more and more. I don't know any line which is still completely served by both those cars...

There might be single trains containing them, for example additional commuter trains (I saw an n-Wagen composition just last week in the Frankfurt area). Bimz can be found in additional IC trains operating on fridays and sundays only. Look out for trains with a "19xx" number.

Kind regards
Jaap Stam
Vielan dank für die antworten!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HA25322 View Post
You may find this site could help in respect of formations?
www.grahnert.de
Thanks for that, very useful. I also just seen that vagonweb has just been updated with DB IC compositions too.

Last edited by Please Explain; 17th January 2017 at 01:35. Reason: Double post prevention system
Please Explain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 16:47   #44
TheEdge
Probably tripping a 90
Established Member

For anyone watching about the Nightjet issue direct from an OBB pricing manager via Seat61 yes, DB vouchers are valid on Nightjet services within Germany.