RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > UK Railway Discussion

Old 9th January 2017, 01:25   #1
30mog

Default Beggar aboard at Birmingham New Street!

Earlier this evening I was making my way from Coventry to Chesterfield. Whilst the train was paused for 10 minutes or so at Birmingham New Street an individual boarded the train and in a very polite manner: "Can I have your attention please folks, I desperately need to catch this train to Newcastle when it leaves in a few minutes, I'm about £7 short of the fare, can anyone spare some change even if it's only 50p."

Like most I was suspicious and ignored him. And wondered:

Birmingham New Street (BHM) being a security conscious station, how did he get to the platform without a ticket? As walk on fares go, £7 towards Birmingham to Newcastle is a bit of a negligible contribution, thus if he was only £7 short he already had a lot more ready. (I checked on my phone which revealed that 5 minutes before departure an Advance single was available for £57).

Be honest. Who thinks he was merely an imaginative beggar? Anyone seen similar incidents?

Last edited by yorkie; 9th January 2017 at 02:07. Reason: BNS=Barnes! BHM=Birmingham New St
30mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th January 2017, 01:34   #2
paulweaver
On Moderation

Quite common in London
paulweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 01:39   #3
the sniper
Established Member

Since the new station opened New Street has developed all sorts of problems with beggars, people selling stuff like tissues and loitering homeless people. It seems to have calmed down a little bit lately, but people trying to elicit money on the suburban network has also been a problem.

If you walk around Birmingham city centre and see how many homeless people and druggies there are hanging around nowadays, it becomes less of a surprise to see them in the station and on trains...
the sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 02:06   #4
takno

It's not really imaginative. I'd describe it as straight out of begging 101.

On the other hand, in the unlikely event that he was collecting for a Newcastle fare, why would you look up an online fare which can't be bought for cash?
takno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 07:39   #5
trash80

The barriers are often open at BHM, plus its fairly easy to get into the station by train without anyone checking your ticket
Old 9th January 2017, 07:47   #6
AlterEgo
Around and About
Established Member

Asking for (a specific amount of) money for a train or bus fare is the oldest trick in the book.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:47   #7
district
On a PNB

You can always text the BTP on 61016 if something like this happens. If the train is likely to be in the platform at somewhere like BHM for a couple of minutes the BTP will probably attend and remove the person.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:02   #8
Robertj21a
Established Member

They just come in on a local train and move around the platforms.
Robertj21a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 08:45   #9
deltic
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30mog View Post
Earlier this evening I was making my way from Coventry to Chesterfield. Whilst the train was paused for 10 minutes or so at Birmingham New Street an individual boarded the train and in a very polite manner: "Can I have your attention please folks, I desperately need to catch this train to Newcastle when it leaves in a few minutes, I'm about £7 short of the fare, can anyone spare some change even if it's only 50p."

Like most I was suspicious and ignored him. And wondered:

Birmingham New Street (BHM) being a security conscious station, how did he get to the platform without a ticket? As walk on fares go, £7 towards Birmingham to Newcastle is a bit of a negligible contribution, thus if he was only £7 short he already had a lot more ready. (I checked on my phone which revealed that 5 minutes before departure an Advance single was available for £57).

Be honest. Who thinks he was merely an imaginative beggar? Anyone seen similar incidents?
Yes I was approached at New St recently by someone claiming they need a certain amount of money to get to Chester by coach - looking online the amount being sought was more than the turn up and pay fare!
deltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:08   #10
Bletchleyite
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30mog View Post
Birmingham New Street (BHM) being a security conscious station
Walked through the no-doubt-open barriers.

New St is nothing of the sort.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
If you walk around Birmingham city centre and see how many homeless people and druggies there are hanging around nowadays, it becomes less of a surprise to see them in the station and on trains...
If anything you see far fewer in the UK than Germany where there are loads of them, from druggies (I once saw someone run out of a train with a needle hanging out of their arm at Hamburg Hbf) to gypsies selling things like tissues with a scowl and curse if you don't buy, to buskers, to simple beggars.

Last edited by Bletchleyite; 9th January 2017 at 09:08. Reason: Double post prevention system
Bletchleyite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:11   #11
dk1
Established Member

Report it as its not nice. Always serial offenders. We kick them out of our stations ASAP. I personally cannot stand being asked for money & many of them stink. Lowers the tone & can be quite threatening for some people.
dk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:49   #12
TH172341

Most likely come in on a local and just wandered round; or managed to get through an open barrier. Being fair to New Street though I'm finding the barriers closed the majority of the time I use it now which is good to see.
TH172341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 10:41   #13
jon0844
Doesn't buy Carnets
Veteran Member

Some are quite imaginative with their stories and some will shout to whole carriage that they're simply after money! Seems their 'honesty' sometimes pays off, so they'd keep doing it.

I even see the odd person buying tissues and those people really bug me as that's a very well organised racket.
jon0844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 10:46   #14
boxy321

I offer them a free ride using the Friends and Family scheme with my season ticket (£1 for a return). They soon clear off. Better still, take a leaflet from the Witnesses outside and offer them that. Salvation.
boxy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 11:09   #15
E&W Lucas
Driver
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy321 View Post
Better still, take a leaflet from the Witnesses outside and offer them that. Salvation.
Brilliant!!
Agree with the other posts above. It's common in all major urban areas. Always the same faces. Professional begging. Please report to BTP or railway staff, and whatever you do, please do not give them money.
E&W Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote