RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Disputes & Prosecutions

Click to buy your tickets through RailUK Booking engine

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 9th January 2017, 20:18   #1
kaygee276
Member
 
Join Date: 9 Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Angry What am I being Prosecuted for?

Today I bought a weekly season ticket at a machine at Huntingdon rail station (to kings Cross). I was in a mega rush so I guessed my Railcard number. I always remember the first three letters, and I admit I guessed at the last 4 numbers. It was paid for on a bank card, not cash, and I received the ticket and the receipt.

I rushed to my train - wish I hadn't bother as the tube strike made my life hell! A ticket inspector checked my ticket on the way to Kings Cross station - not a bother.

Came home earlier, and about 3 minutes out of Huntingdon train station an inspector was checking tickets again. I showed my ticket and he checked the railcard number. It was different by the last 4 digits... my bad guess!
He took my ticket and railcard off me, and we ended up with him filling in the form on the station platform as I needed to get off the train at Huntingdon.
He never once asked to see the receipt, nor the card that I paid for it with, nor was he interested in me and hm going to the office to swap things out and make it correct.
Nope he cautioned me, and wrote down what I said, in that it was an honest mistake and he can check my bank card and receipt.
Finally I was given the chance to sign against what he wrote down as my statement. I signed it... I was so furious I can't believe I didn't swear once!
I reiterated that if I was being fraudulent then why would I offer to show all the evidence. He was such a jobsworth but had no interest in my side of things.
This was a good 'collar' to him obviously.
I was given a tiny slip of paper from the bottom of the form he completed and was told that the Prosecutions Dept would be in touch!
I am now left with no ticket, no railcard - nothing but a really bad mood!

So what is the charge here? The 'Inspector' never told me what I was being prosecuted for.

Looking at Great Northern's Website, this doesn't fit with any of their prosecution types listed.

I would really appreciate any feedback as to what will happen next and what course of action I may have with this.
Can I email the prosecution team in advance?
kaygee276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 9th January 2017, 21:33   #2
bb21
Moderator
 
bb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Feb 2010
Posts: 20,589
Default

The number you type in at the time of purchase is the only link between the Photocard and the ticket. As your Photocard number does not match the number on the season ticket, unless you can prove that this season ticket was not purchased for use by someone else, the revenue inspector was doing the entirely correct thing.

Bad mistake, and you only have yourself to blame, sorry to say this.

You were unable to deliver a valid ticket for your journey, so that is a pretty clear Byelaw offence. You were arguably also attempting to travel fraudulently without paying (as you cannot prove that the ticket was not originally purchased for use by someone else bearing the Photocard number on the ticket), so a more serious fare evasion offence as defined by the Regulation of Railways Act.
bb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 21:44   #3
kaygee276
Member
 
Join Date: 9 Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default

The fact that I had the receipt for the ticket, and the bank card I used to pay for it?
The name on the season ticket is the same as the bank card... why couldn't he simply check this?? He was simply not interested in looking at either of them.
kaygee276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 21:53   #4
theblackwatch
Moderator
 
theblackwatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 Feb 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 8,463
Default

I would think also if the way you reacted to him was similar to the reaction you have shown here (jobsworth, furious etc), you may have failed the 'attitude test'. You appear to still be blaming him far something that was your fault. If this does lead to a prosecution, it would probably not be advisable to continue this attitude in court, but to actually explain the facts.
theblackwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 22:01   #5
kaygee276
Member
 
Join Date: 9 Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default

I was perfectly civil with him. Yes I was seething underneath but to him I answered all of his questions, hid nothing, and offered evidence that I had purchased the ticket in good faith.

Of course I am angry typing this out. I am now without a ticket for the rest of the week and out of pocket over £125 - most people would be angry.

If I am cautioned by a ticket inspector, do they not need to tell me what the offence is?
If this was the police then that certainly would be the case.
kaygee276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 22:04   #6
bb21
Moderator
 
bb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Feb 2010
Posts: 20,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee276 View Post
The fact that I had the receipt for the ticket, and the bank card I used to pay for it?
The name on the season ticket is the same as the bank card... why couldn't he simply check this?? He was simply not interested in looking at either of them.
That is proof that you purchased a ticket. Even if you can prove that the payment was for the ticket you held, how can you prove that you did not originally purchase it for someone else and you were sharing the same ticket fraudulently?

If you can get an out-of-court settlement from them then I would consider this a good result.

As I said, you were entirely to blame for this mess and no one else. Put it down as one of life's little lessons. If you were late for the train, then you were late for the train. If you need to buy a ticket, arriving at the station a couple of minutes before departure time will mostly mean you are too late (regardless of why you were late). If you make assumptions in life (as in assuming that the Photocard number did not matter in this case), then sometimes you will run into problems.
bb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 22:06   #7
najaB
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: 28 Aug 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee276 View Post
The fact that I had the receipt for the ticket, and the bank card I used to pay for it?
The name on the season ticket is the same as the bank card... why couldn't he simply check this??
Did the railcard number match the ticket or not? If not, you didn't have a valid ticket, simple as that.
__________________
Favourite saying: "There's no difference between theory and practice. In theory."
najaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 22:08   #8
bb21
Moderator
 
bb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Feb 2010
Posts: 20,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee276 View Post
If I am cautioned by a ticket inspector, do they not need to tell me what the offence is?
If this was the police then that certainly would be the case.
No as it is not at the stage of prosecutions yet. They are simply gathering relevant evidence at this stage. The caution was simply to tell you that there is a possibility they could proceed with a prosecution, and what you say can be used as evidence.
bb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 23:01   #9
reb0118
Fares Advisor
 
reb0118's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 Jan 2010
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian
Posts: 2,610
Default

At this stage it seems that you have not been prosecuted nor indeed charged with any offence but merely that a report has been submitted by the inspector for perusal by his superiors to see if any further action is applicable.

There are many potential outcomes to this scenario ranging from the railway accepting your story and returning your ticket, with the proviso that you fill in the photocard number correctly in future, you may or may not be able to claim back the cost of any tickets purchased to travel whilst the matter is under investigation so do not throw these away.

At the other end of the scale the railway may feel it has enough evidence to initiate a prosecution against you, most likely a bylaw offence - see our section on railway ticketing offences https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide - Section 8 - Legal

I have a question: were you asked to pay a fare, either regular or penalty, or did the inspector go straight to the "report" stage?

Regardless, and I do realise that it is easy for me to say this, try to get this in perspective as even a bylaw conviction will have no real detriment to most people's lives. Albeit there may be a financial and/or "sense of injustice" element.

IMO the next stage will be you receiving correspondence from the railway asking for your side of the story.

Do not respond with emotion, nor comment on the inspector's "attitude". Keep it factual, concise, & coherent.

Before replying feel free to post your response, redacting any personal detains as required, for one of the members to "proof read".

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
__________________
"In every city & every nation from Lake Geneva to the Finland Station" ~ Karl Marx
reb0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 23:09   #10
kaygee276
Member
 
Join Date: 9 Jan 2017
Posts: 8
Default

Hi Reb0118,

You asked "were you asked to pay a fare, either regular or penalty, or did the inspector go straight to the "report" stage?"

No, he didn't ask me to pay anything - he went straight to the report stage.
kaygee276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 23:52   #11
Matt2292
New Member
 
Join Date: 9 Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Default

Having read the evidence presented and some of the replies relating to it, I can't help but feel sorry for the chap under prosecution. Admittedly he purchased a ticket using the wrong rail card number, but his intentions behind this were innocent enough and there was no underlying motive to act fraudulently or in some way that would have ultimately benefited himself or defrauded the TOC. Irrespective of what ticket number input in to the machine, the journey price would have been the same amount. I myself buy a season ticket, and have encountered many disputes with 'jobs worth' guards (mainly over the fact that mine is heavily used and often faded because of this, in fact I've been accused of it being fake !). What they have to understand is that we're only human, you can say 'oh well if you were 5 minutes early or didn't make assumptions about your ticket number etc etc etc... but often life gets in the way and sometimes one needs to take a level minded and fair approach to this.

Ultimately yes, it was wrong to do what you did. But the train company still received their money so it's a win win for them as no doubt you'll be forced to purchase another ticket. I wish you all the very best with regards to this case. Stuff like this makes me question the world we live in, common sense and reasonability seem to be skills today's society have abandoned.
Matt2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 00:04   #12
najaB
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: 28 Aug 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygee276 View Post
No, he didn't ask me to pay anything - he went straight to the report stage.
Please don't think that this means anything was wrong with the inspector's action - the fact that your rail card (photocard?) didn't match your ticket was enough evidence to prepare a report.
__________________
Favourite saying: "There's no difference between theory and practice. In theory."
najaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 08:32   #13
bb21
Moderator
 
bb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Feb 2010
Posts: 20,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2292 View Post
Having read the evidence presented and some of the replies relating to it, I can't help but feel sorry for the chap under prosecution...
We can all feel sorry for the OP and it is cheap to say "Oh I sympathise".

None of that helps him in any shape or form. What he needs urgently is advice, not sympathy, especially when he has a very misplaced understanding of where responsibility lies by blaming the revenue inspector who is doing everything by the book from what has been described.

Everything you said may well be true, but none of it helps his case in any shape or form. If you want to challenge the system, join a campaign group and try making that happen. If enough people bothered, things would change. Until then, we play by the current rules. As things currently stand, "life getting in the way of things" is not a valid excuse for making this mistake, and the cold hard truth in this case is that there is no one else to blame. He had the choice of waiting for the next train (and potentially be late for work, etc) or rush through the purchase and jump on the train in the platform and take a chance on not being caught for however long the ticket is valid for. He made the wrong choice, and that in life has consequences sometimes.

Until there is correspondence received from the train company, little else can be done for now.
bb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 10:34   #14
AlterEgo
Around and About
Established Member
 
Join Date: 30 Dec 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 7,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaB View Post
Please don't think that this means anything was wrong with the inspector's action - the fact that your rail card (photocard?) didn't match your ticket was enough evidence to prepare a report.
Indeed. This is looked upon very seriously by revenue staff.

Anecdote alert:

I used to work for Virgin WC, who were notoriously prosecution-averse. The only case I ever knew for certain that they prosecuted was that of someone travelling on season ticket which did not match their photocard. Two chaps involved: one falsely reported his season ticket as lost and gave it to his his commuting mate (who of course had paid nothing, and had a different photocard number) so there were two season tickets in circulation with the same photocard number. It was a fraud of several thousand pounds' value and Virgin were successful with a RoRA prosecution after the plaintiff failed to settle.

Reason for the anecdote is: cases like that are why "season ticket does not match photocard" rings huge alarm bells and you are likely to be reported.

OP: In your case, there are several factors which lead me to believe you will be prosecuted for a lesser Byelaw offence rather than a serious RoRA offence:

1) This is a weekly season - these have no value if reported lost, so the scam I described above is not something they can reasonably suspect you of.

2) You can prove you paid for the ticket and therefore it is unlikely they can suspect you of picking up a lost of discarded ticket.

3) There is no evidence they can bring, of you deliberately attempting to avoid any fare.


Wait to hear from them and let us know how you get on.
__________________
My YouTube Channel
AlterEgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 12:07   #15
anme
Established Member
 
Join Date: 8 Aug 2013
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
Indeed. This is looked upon very seriously by revenue staff.

Anecdote alert:

Virgin were successful with a RoRA prosecution after the plaintiff failed to settle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
OP: In your case, there are several factors which lead me to believe you will be prosecuted for a lesser Byelaw offence rather than a serious RoRA offence
AlterEgo's story actually suggests if the TOC does decide to take action, the OP will very likely be given a chance to settle out of court. From what we have heard, this is a far less serious case and prosecution for any offence is far from certain (although it cannot be ruled out).
anme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:16.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2017