RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 16th December 2010, 10:22   #31
Greenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordeh View Post
Not sure what to make of this to be honest, I live in Sandiacre on the route of all the buses so I thought it was great. 6 Trent Barton buses per hour, 3 Bargain buses per hour and 3 Red Fours per hour. So 2x more service and 4x cheaper faires is surely a good thing but the Wellglade Group/Trent Barton just appear to have stopped all competition in it's tracks and then raised prices. I don't like to see business practises like that.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
Welcome to the world of capitalism, cmpetition, monopolies and market forces!
Greenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 16th December 2010, 22:15   #32
Flying Snail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordeh View Post
Not sure what to make of this to be honest, I live in Sandiacre on the route of all the buses so I thought it was great. 6 Trent Barton buses per hour, 3 Bargain buses per hour and 3 Red Fours per hour. So 2x more service and 4x cheaper faires is surely a good thing but the Wellglade Group/Trent Barton just appear to have stopped all competition in it's tracks and then raised prices. I don't like to see business practises like that.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
It is not a good thing if the service levels are way above the passenger numbers and the fares way below break-even point because it is unsustainable. This appears to be what you had for a short while and the inevitable happened with one of the competing operators (the weaker one that couldn't sustain operating at a loss) pulled out. The route will now quickly revert to fares high enough to make a profit for the operators and a frequency that matches demand. This is simply the reality of a de-regulated bus market.
Flying Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 23:28   #33
nctx

your bus are stepping up the battle a load of new Mercedes Citaro's on order for y36 , also looks lie they plan to take on City Transport on other routes . route 41 being looked at as well as 35.
nctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 13:35   #34
trentside
Senior Fares Advisor

I believe, however, that they are withdrawing the Y100 between Nottingham and Southwell after only a few months.
trentside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 14:42   #35
Statto
I'm in the pub at the bar
Established Member

You may get cheaper fares during a bus war, but that's only short term, in the long run there will only be one winner, & the winner will put up fares & cut the routes &, or frequencies. I do like the London way of doing things, were TFL set the routes/times/frequencies/fares & passes.

It's ironic that Stagecoach sold there Darlington operations to Arriva a couple of years ago, & Stagecoach have been more prolific in using these type of tactics, they did the same thing to Lancaster & a few others.
Statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 16:18   #36
MCR247
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctx View Post
your bus are stepping up the battle a load of new Mercedes Citaro's on order for y36 , also looks lie they plan to take on City Transport on other routes . route 41 being looked at as well as 35.
Some of the citaros have arrived, I saw one on the Y36. The Y36 is a really success so good on them. Premiere on this other hand.. ugh
MCR247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:07   #37
trentside
Senior Fares Advisor

I believe that NCT are starting to take the 'threat' posed by Yourbus quite seriously. Their recent order for 24x Optare Solo SRs included the quote that the buses would be used to provide "a more frequent service on competitive routes".

http://www.optare.com/pr_02_03_11.htm
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:32   #38
nctx

as far as im aware the plan was for the new solo's to go on route 70 yellow line, then the extra to go on routes to on green line routes.

The price of used double decker low floors is so low right know, I think some of the Trident 2's will have to say a few more year's.

Ensign are selling ex Metoline Ta's 1999 MODELS that are converted to single doors for 25 000.
A trident used to be worth 40 000 all day long.

As for Optare Excel 2's , I think the market for them has crashed ,there going for Leyland Lynx money.

Theres 20 new Scania double deckers coming for go 2 routes.

I think this will be the last of the current design , as thats been in production since 2003 for nct.

There could be a order for 20 plus ADL 400 hybrids if ADL gets its pricing right, one of the trent bridge depot lads was told that ADL are willing to sell buses at cost to get orders right know , as its only london buying them.

And Wrightbus are building the new Routemaster , thats going to First Westbourne for testing.
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:43   #39
Yew
Established Member

Some nice pronto busses on the Nottingham mansfield route, Leather seats, cheaper fares than the train, and somtimes faster.

Compared to getting an Old 156, either not really dingy, or slightly refurbished, Or the slight chance of one of the EMT 168's that are just about as nice as the busses.

Looks like EMT missed a trick, and pronto will win all the time unless people are using the train. (maybe a stop at nottingham station to totally beat the robin hood line? that would get emt thinking about refurbishment and price drops
Yew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:36   #40
anthony263
Established Member

Noticed that the price for Optare excels is cheap, maybe that why SWT (Neath) have bought at least 4 of them
anthony263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:44   #41
trentside
Senior Fares Advisor

I've noticed that many independent operators who bought Excels to move towards low-floor operation disposed of them quite rapidly. Although the Optare Excel 2 is said to be more reliable, I'm sure it's reputation is tainted by its more problematic sibling.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:32   #42
ivanhoe

After a period of sensible Bus Operations, Nottingham is getting the worse of Bus Wars which will only drive passengers away. Take Loughborough to Nottingham. Arriva decided that they could not make Coalville to Nottingham via Loughborough. In comes Premier Travel with X9 and 6 months later Kinchbus( part of the Trent Barton group) decide to run spoiler services. If the route was that profitable, why did Arriva throw the towel in? They would have had good cash flows from Coalville to Nottingham.

Wellglade, the Bus Industry favourite acts just like Stagecoach, First et al. Crikey they make Arriva look respectable!
ivanhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 19:38   #43
Anon Mouse
Established Member

During Darlingtons Bus War, Stagecoach ran their buses competing with Darlington Town Council free of charge. DTC ended up having no passengers on for the obvious reasons, the big Stagecoach Bully Boys won.......
Anon Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 20:36   #44
starrymarkb
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe View Post
After a period of sensible Bus Operations, Nottingham is getting the worse of Bus Wars which will only drive passengers away. Take Loughborough to Nottingham. Arriva decided that they could not make Coalville to Nottingham via Loughborough. In comes Premier Travel with X9 and 6 months later Kinchbus( part of the Trent Barton group) decide to run spoiler services. If the route was that profitable, why did Arriva throw the towel in? They would have had good cash flows from Coalville to Nottingham.

Wellglade, the Bus Industry favourite acts just like Stagecoach, First et al. Crikey they make Arriva look respectable!
It's retalliation for Premiere trying to duplicate Trent Barton routes elsewhere (running a few mins ahead). Something to bear in mind is that Alex Hornby became MD of Trent from Bluestar, who operated similar spoiler services to Black Velvet

Arriva are doing the same in Leicester to First (retiming their 14 to be 5 mins before every First 14)
Old 25th March 2011, 04:42   #45
nctx

I see that stage 2 of the Net ( Nottingham Tram). has the go ahead.