RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Fares, Ticketing & Routeing > Fares Advice & Policy

Old 11th April 2011, 10:28   #31
Red Dragon

£30 worth of train tickets for £10 worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers.
I just picked this up on the Martin Lewis Money Saving Expert website and thought it might be useful.
For those with a Tesco Clubcard you now have access to the Red Spotted Hanky website where you can book train tickets. It appears to be the same booking site as East Coast.
The real advantage is, for every £10 worth of Tesco Clubcard Vouchers you use you get £30 worth of train tickets.
I don't have a Tesco Clubcard but for those who do here's the link: -
http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=1916
Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 12th April 2011, 15:59   #32
bignosemac
Established Member

Cashback websites are also worth looking into when purchasing train tickets.

The percentage cashback isn't particularly high and the wait to receive the cashback can be quite long, but I've been using topcashback.co.uk for ticket purchases when no other online offer is available. Typically 2 months before the cashback shows in my topcashback account.

South West Trains currently offer 2.62% via topcashback on all ticket purchases. Other TOCs and ticket retailers also have cashback offers. The most generous currently is TransPennine offering 4.54% cashback on their AP tickets via topcashback.co.uk.

Every little helps and if you do a lot of online shopping cashback websites are well worth using.

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/cat/rail-ferry-and-coach/
Old 14th April 2011, 16:09   #33
LexyBoy
Reading Commuter
Fares Advisor

25% off CrossCountry Advance fares booked through their website until 31/5/11 - courtesy of lyesbkz.

Thread.

edit: XC webpage here. Although the page refers to journeys to Newcastle, it apparently works for other journeys too.

Last edited by LexyBoy; 27th April 2011 at 08:24.
LexyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 17:17   #34
sdrennan

Redspottedhanky looks a good offer especially when i found £16 of unused vouchers in my Clubcard account

Has anyone used it to book yet. I cannot see how to buy a Rover ticket on their website (Looking to do a Highland Rover in late June)

The only phone number they have is £1 per minute
sdrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 08:23   #35
LexyBoy
Reading Commuter
Fares Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrennan View Post
Redspottedhanky looks a good offer especially when i found £16 of unused vouchers in my Clubcard account

Has anyone used it to book yet. I cannot see how to buy a Rover ticket on their website (Looking to do a Highland Rover in late June)
AFAIK it's not possible to buy Rovers except from stations, telesales and certain TOC websites.

Quote:
The only phone number they have is £1 per minute
With customer service like that, I'd save your Clubcard points for something which won't cause any potential issues.

Also, if you wish to ask any further questions, please start a new thread - this sticky is meant for posting details of offers rather than discussion. Thanks and welcome!
LexyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 21:43   #36
First class
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Enter promo code SAVE10 at https://secure.16-25railcard.co.uk/16-25.do to get 10% off 1 year railcards.
First class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:06   #37
island
I'm from M390
Established Member

I wonder does that discriminate on the basis of nationality, since you need a British passport (or possibly driving licence) to buy a railcard requiring a photo online.
island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:06   #38
ji459

For anyone who was thinking of taking advantage of Southern's offer of 25% off advance fares, the offer ends today (2 May).
ji459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:58   #39
First class
Awaiting Email Confirmation

10% of First Advances from East Coast when booked through Red Spotted Hanky:

(When you click on the link in the email it just goes to the standard page: http://tickets.redspottedhanky.com/r...ing/MixingDeck)

Book by 9th May. Travel valid until 29 July. Railcard discounts also apply as normal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10% EC.jpg (146.1 KB, 24 views)
First class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 20:41   #40
All Line Rover
Established Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by First class View Post
10% of First Advances from East Coast when booked through Red Spotted Hanky:

(When you click on the link in the email it just goes to the standard page: http://tickets.redspottedhanky.com/r...ing/MixingDeck)

Book by 9th May. Travel valid until 29 July. Railcard discounts also apply as normal.
That's not a great offer, though, as East Coast give 10% off permanently. East Coast are currently giving 20% off First Advance tickets actually!

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-o...eat-yourself-/
All Line Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 19:43   #41
Furrball

Default East Coast discount 1st Advance - London - Inverness £46.00

Hello all, first post here.

Signed up initially to discuss the possible outcome of what seemed to potentially a situation where a ticket had been sold that we not necessarily valid. However a little searching reveals the following offer (it seems to be £43 Edinburgh - London and £46.00 Aberdeen/Inverness - London (limited availability Northbound?):

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/This_is_my_Edinburgh

Quote:
'This is my Edinburgh' has teamed up with East Coast to offer you discounted First Class rail travel between London and Edinburgh from £43* one way. From 22 May 2011, passengers travelling in East Coast’s First Class will receive complimentary food and drink on board. You’ll be served refreshments at your seat by our friendly on-board team. For shorter journeys, you’ll be offered non-alcoholic drinks and snacks while on longer trips you can look forwards to something a little more substantial. Plus, there’s now the option to relax and travel First Class in the new Quiet Coach.

To book or check the price of your journey, simply enter your travel requirements in the booking engine on the left of this page. Our booking system will guide you to the best available fares ('EC promotional fare' denotes a Reader Offer fare). Remember the Reader Offer is available in First Class on our off-peak leisure trains for a limited time only, subject to availability.

Please click here to download the voucher

When can I book?
Bookings are open from 9am Monday 2 May until midnight Tuesday 17 May 2011.
You must book at least three weeks in advance of your outward travel date.
When can I travel?
Between 24 May and 30 June, excluding 27 May to 5 June inclusive.
Seats are available on off-peak services with limited availability on Friday and Sunday afternoons.
There will also be limited availability when major events are taking place. Please note, engineering work taking place on some weekends during this promotion may affect your journey times. More information about disruption as a result of engineering work.
What do I need?
Please make sure you take the downloadable voucher from this page and your ticket(s) with you when you travel.
How do I book?
All bookings using this offer must be made online using the booking engine on the left hand side of this page.
You must book at least three weeks in advance of your outward travel date.
Seats are subject to availability – and we are expecting the biggest demand at weekends – so please book as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
All major credit, debit and charge cards are accepted as payment.
If you require space for a wheelchair or have access requirements, please call our dedicated Assisted Travel Team on 08457 225 225 before you book.
To give you greater choice and flexibility, tickets are sold as single fares. This allows you to choose the lowest available prices for every stage of your journey. For example you can select the reader offer fare on the outward journey and, if the return train of your choice is unavailable, you can select the best fares shown.
Furrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 12:58   #42
dzug2

Quote:
Originally Posted by island View Post
I wonder does that discriminate on the basis of nationality, since you need a British passport (or possibly driving licence) to buy a railcard requiring a photo online.
Maybe it does - but so what? Discrimination isn't per se illegal
dzug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2011, 13:11   #43
island
I'm from M390
Established Member

Well, how about section 29 of the Equality Act, 2010, which requires that a service provider must not discriminate by not providing a person with a service due to the person's age, sex, race (including nationality), gender reassignment status, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, or disability? As far as I can see, they are refusing to provide anyone who does not hold either a British passport or British driving licence with a three-year Railcard, and charging them less for a one-year one than someone who does not hold either of those two things. That appears to be indirect discrimination on the race ground to me.

(mods please feel free to split as this is probably off-topic)
Old 10th May 2011, 15:15   #44
MikeWh
Oyster expert
Senior Fares Advisor

They are not denying people a service, just varying how much that service costs. If you extend this argument to the fullest extent then it would be illegal to offer child or OAP fares full stop. I hope I'm right in thinking that that would not be desirable.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:21   #45
island
I'm from M390
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWh View Post
They are not denying people a service, just varying how much that service costs. If you extend this argument to the fullest extent then it would be illegal to offer child or OAP fares full stop. I hope I'm right in thinking that that would not be desirable.
There is an exemption for age-discrimination where the discrimination is a proportionate means to achieving a legitimate aim, which would seem to cover child/16-25/Senior fares. This exemption doesn't extend to race.