RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 24th May 2012, 00:39   #31
Ivo
Starmie
Established Member

Surely if they're openly admitting an operation is struggling they would be less likely to find a buyer for said operation...
Old 24th May 2012, 00:48   #32
anthony263
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
Surely if they're openly admitting an operation is struggling they would be less likely to find a buyer for said operation...
Thta may be tru but any interested parties are sure to carry out their own investigations to find out why the operation is loosing money.

It could be the case that people are as you put earlier Ivo put off by the high fares so if a company can afford it perhaps reduce the price of certain fares and perhaps have a special offer palnned for the first few weeks of any new operations.
anthony263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 03:13   #33
Lrd
Jobs & Careers Assistant

Southampton has just had it's bus service relaunched (some good choices, some bad), new livery but no new ticket machines yet (still using Wayfarer's).

I sorta hope they lose more money after this relaunch and end up pulling out of Southampton and let Bluestar/Velvet take over.
Old 24th May 2012, 05:46   #34
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

buyers might be easier to find if the opperation can bost one or 2 comercial runs in decent nic i.e. making money, with an at least half decent rep and fleat. One of the many problems FSE had was none of the East and Midlothian area was really making anything. Bad news for first and bus users in short term but it will be interesting to see how well the retendered runs do in the hands of Prentis, Eve and ECL.

Wonder if similar things will happen elsewhere? If so the age of the smaller bus opperater may not be over
Blindtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 09:12   #35
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtc View Post
I doubt Centrebus would have the pockets to buy anything from First. Maybe they'll win some more fringe routes that WY Metro tender of course.
They brought the West Yorkshire operations that Stagecoach didn't want (with some help from Arriva.)
Old 24th May 2012, 09:25   #36
anthony263
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtraveler View Post
Wonder if similar things will happen elsewhere? If so the age of the smaller bus opperater may not be over
You have to take a look at things in Neath to see that you are correct.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:29   #37
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony263 View Post
You have to take a look at things in Neath to see that you are correct.
Or Cheshire - Arriva are happy running the profitable commercial daytime services but if they only break even on a route or it's less profitable in the evening, a smaller operator becomes involved as well.

GHA (North Wales and Cheshire) seem to be one of the few operators that is expanding it's network with more routes and a wider geographic area. I wonder if they'll become the new Crossville.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:57   #38
tbtc
I am the passenger...
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
They brought the West Yorkshire operations that Stagecoach didn't want (with some help from Arriva.)
Waterloo was a tiny depot when compared to the First depots in Huddersfield/ Halifax/ Leeds/ Bradford though - and with very little in the way of "assets".

I don't think Centrebus's pockets are big enough for much more
tbtc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 13:14   #39
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtc View Post
Waterloo was a tiny depot when compared to the First depots in Huddersfield/ Halifax/ Leeds/ Bradford though - and with very little in the way of "assets".
The assets is partly because Stagecoach switched the buses around so the better former Yorkshire Traction ones went to South Yorkshire and the worse ones were based at Waterloo. Yorkshire Traction had improved their assets over what they were a few years before the takeover.

I do think that both the West Yorks Yorkshire Traction operations and the K-Line operations seemed to be the ones that Yorkshire Rider didn't want, which is probably why Badgerline acquired Yorkshire Rider and not Yorkshire Traction.

Last edited by jcollins; 24th May 2012 at 13:28.
jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 14:50   #40
Blindtraveler
Pacer Fan!
Established Member

and im guessing similar things have happened in your part of the world Antony?
Blindtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 15:09   #41
mbonwick
Established Member

I notice that no mention was made of the losses First are expected to make on Olympic contracts....
Old 24th May 2012, 15:36   #42
Schnellzug
le Petit Train Jaune
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
I notice that no mention was made of the losses First are expected to make on Olympic contracts....
We know that anything involved with the Olympics operates on different economic principles to the rest of the world, so presumably Lord Coe is subsidising it all.
Schnellzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 15:37   #43
Ivo
Starmie
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
I would have thought the "positive" publicity associated with said contracts - assuming they don't screw up - would be sufficient to negate that?
Old 24th May 2012, 15:45   #44
anthony263
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindtraveler View Post
and im guessing similar things have happened in your part of the world Antony?
Yes.

In fact I have been talking to those I know in Stagecoach about the rumours of Stagecoach looking at expanding the South wales operations.

I did get some positive news along with more although I wont publish them until I see any further information.
Old 24th May 2012, 15:55   #45
mbonwick
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellzug View Post
We know that anything involved with the Olympics operates on different economic principles to the rest of the world, so presumably Lord Coe is subsidising it all.
Not really, contracts were let out and First screwed up on the tender.
Stagecoach expect to make a profit on their Olympic Family transport contracts, but First bid too low for the spectator transport and will have to foot the losses themselves.