RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Other Public Transport > Buses & Coaches

Old 2nd August 2013, 10:06   #31
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sidorczuk View Post
What is the official position on the Cheshire Connect liveried services of silver, green and yellow, as in Wilmslow yesterday, I saw an 88 running in this livery.
If you look closely at the Connect 88 branded buses (two Versas and one DART) they are slightly different to some of the other Cheshire Connect branded buses.

On the back of the bus instead of having the Cheshire East council logo, they have the Traveline logo and phone number.

If you look at the wording on the side of the buses it says "Cheshire Connect Owned and Operated by Vale Travel." On other buses that were given Cheshire Connect livery like the Wright Cadets that High Peak used to use on the 27 service the 'Owned and' bit isn't included so it said "Cheshire Connect Operated by Centerbus" in that instance.

The 88 route is still a Cheshire East council subsided service, as are the 130 Sunday and Bank Holiday service and RR3 that the Connect 88 buses also appear on. Although, the 27 route which the Connect 88 DART sometimes appears on is a commercial service but that normally gets a GHA branded DART or Solo despite being a Vale Travel route.
Old 9th September 2013, 00:24   #32
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher
Veteran Member

It appears that Taxico (of Leek) have now taken over the operation of the service 108 (Macclesfield to Ashbourne/Ashbourne to Macclesfield) from Clowes Coaches with effect from 3rd September.

I wonder if we will now see buses other than elderly second-hand Arriva buses now on the service and a more modern fares recording system than the ruled pad and a ball-point pen.
Old 9th September 2013, 10:04   #33
martinsh
Man Patik Latvija
Established Member

Quote:
It appears that Taxico (of Leek) have now taken over the operation of the service 108 (Macclesfield to Ashbourne/Ashbourne to Macclesfield) from Clowes Coaches with effect from 3rd September.

I wonder if we will now see buses other than elderly second-hand Arriva buses now on the service and a more modern fares recording system than the ruled pad and a ball-point pen.
The report I have is of an 07 reg Enviro 200 - ticketing not mentioned
Old 9th September 2013, 23:24   #34
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher
Veteran Member

How long have Taxico been running service buses and how large is their fleet ?
Old 10th September 2013, 09:14   #35
martinsh
Man Patik Latvija
Established Member

Taxico / Aimees have been running bus services for at least 15 years. They used to have tendered and commercial services in the Leek and Chadle area (one ran into Stoke twice a week from what I recall), but recently they have only had schools services.

Fleet size is around 10.
Old 11th September 2013, 22:40   #36
johnnychips
Established Member

Quote:

Explain: I am intrigued!
johnnychips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 23:32   #37
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnychips View Post
Explain: I am intrigued!
This has been what you have found at stance number 9 at Macclesfield Bus Station when the Clowes Coaches vehicle and driver were ready to allow passengers to embark upon the service 108...Macclesfield-Leek-Ashbourne.
Old 12th September 2013, 12:37   #38
Shrimper

http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_arab_uf/9638215114/

I'm always surprised step-entrance buses are permitted on tendered services. Having seen various fleet members in Macclesfield a few times they don't inspire confidence (though I'm not doubting they are mechanically sound!)
Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 12:43   #39
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/guy_arab_uf/9638215114/

I'm always surprised step-entrance buses are permitted on tendered services. Having seen various fleet members in Macclesfield a few times they don't inspire confidence (though I'm not doubting they are mechanically sound!)
Thanks for that print that shows the "second-hand Arriva" Clowes Coaches 108 bus when it was at Waterhouses. A pity that the "ruled pad and ball-point pen" method of fares recording cannot be seen to their best effect..

Last edited by Paul Sidorczuk; 12th September 2013 at 12:44.
Paul Sidorczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 15:19   #40
34D
Established Member

Quote:
Thanks for that print that shows the "second-hand Arriva" Clowes Coaches 108 bus when it was at Waterhouses. A pity that the "ruled pad and ball-point pen" method of fares recording cannot be seen to their best effect..
For the small operators with just these tendered biddy services, a count of ENCTS passes is all you need. No point in spending on an ETM if not needed.
34D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 10:36   #41
jcollins
Veteran Member

Tomlinson Travel to cancel 49 Holmes Chapel to Northwich service from 4th November. I wonder if it's the same circumstances as the 47 Holmes Chapel to Warrington service which they were under contract from Cheshire East council to run but asked to terminate it before the end of the contract, which Cheshire East agreed to.
Old 15th September 2013, 08:57   #42
Paul Sidorczuk
Xenophon philosopher
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsh View Post
The report I have is of an 07 reg Enviro 200 - ticketing not mentioned
Indeed, this was the vehicle in all-white livery that I boarded at stance 9 on Saturday morning at Macclesfield bus station on the 0910 service 108 to Ashbourne to see what the new operator was like. The length of this newer vehicle is considerably longer than the one previously put on by Clowes Coaches. It arrived at the correct time of 1010 at King Edward Street bus station at Ashbourne. It had a modern ticket machine affixed with which the driver issued tickets.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34D View Post
For the small operators with just these tendered biddy services, a count of ENCTS passes is all you need. No point in spending on an ETM if not needed.
On the 108 service to Ashbourne on Saturday (see posting above), the new operator used the affixed ticket machine to issue tickets.

Last edited by Paul Sidorczuk; 15th September 2013 at 09:00. Reason: Double post prevention system
Paul Sidorczuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 15:16   #43
jcollins
Veteran Member

Cheshire East have issued an invitation to tender for bus services starting in January 2014. I think the 88 route will be included in that (Vale Travel were given a 5 year contract starting January 2009.) I'm not sure what other routes will be included and whether any of them may feature a service reduction.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I see Routemaster Buses have registered a Nantwich to Crewe service and a Nantwich to Leighton Hospital service. I know they have more than just their vintage Routemaster and Leyland National buses but do they ever stray on to the scheduled bus services?

Last edited by jcollins; 19th September 2013 at 15:16. Reason: Double post prevention system
jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2013, 22:22   #44
martinsh
Man Patik Latvija
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I see Routemaster Buses have registered a Nantwich to Crewe service and a Nantwich to Leighton Hospital service. I know they have more than just their vintage Routemaster and Leyland National buses but do they ever stray on to the scheduled bus services?
These services are positioning runs for private contracts to/from Reaseheath College (Nantwich). As such the normal vehicles used are Volvo Olympians
Old 20th September 2013, 09:03   #45
jcollins
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinsh View Post
These services are positioning runs for private contracts to/from Reaseheath College (Nantwich). As such the normal vehicles used are Volvo Olympians
That explains why they are shutting down the services over the Christmas period opposed to not running them on the Bank Holidays and Sundays and shutting down early on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve.