RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > Other Rail & Transport > Transport Simulations & Games

Old 22nd July 2017, 13:47   #1
Wivenswold

Default TSW Great Western Express

For those interested, Dovetail have announced the first UK route for their new platform. It would appear that the Heavy Haul CSX is the base for TSW as you have to purchase that too, but once you've got that you shouldn't need to buy the base game again (like they did with Railworks).

It looks very impressive and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I just hope the developer tools are more intuitive than they were on TS.
Wivenswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 22nd July 2017, 14:56   #2
StephenHunter

It's only covering Paddington to Reading, but there should be a lot of detail on it considering I saw in the Heavy Haul demo.
StephenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 04:28   #3
BR60062
The Friendly Railfan.

I own TSW and I am looking forward to getting this add-on if the immersion of the CSX Heavy Haul is anything to go by .
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:10   #4
Wivenswold

I pre-ordered it, I missed the start of the Railworks revolution and ended playing a very expensive gave of catch up.
Wivenswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 00:02   #5
BR60062
The Friendly Railfan.

From what I have seen on the DLC page on Steam. It looks pretty good as there is three locomotives/trains included.

Class 43 HST - GWR
Class 166 DMU - GWR
Class 66 Diesel Locomotive - DB Schenker

If they could include the Heathrow line into the route, that would be a good start. But I think it will be interesting to see how the ATP, AWS, DSD etc is going to be like as well as realistic physics and stuff.

But most importantly, I really do that DTG have/will have fixed the issues with the FPS and better optimisation with the processor and the GPU cards .
Old 1st September 2017, 20:24   #6
SamYeager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenswold View Post
I just hope the developer tools are more intuitive than they were on TS.
I hope you realise that said tools have not yet been released. Given DTG required extra time before they can release GWE I'm not expecting the tools anytime soon although I hope I'm being too pessimistic.
SamYeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2017, 16:37   #7
E_Reeves
Latest cop: 800010

I hope it'll have DOO
Old 4th September 2017, 16:58   #8
Crossover
Established Member

I keep seeing this advertised - what features does TSW have over RW?

I thought that I should have had a demo of TSW by virtue of purchasing something for RW a while ago, but it appears not to have been the case
Old 4th September 2017, 21:39   #9
ModernRailways
Probably delayed.
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossover View Post
I keep seeing this advertised - what features does TSW have over RW?

I thought that I should have had a demo of TSW by virtue of purchasing something for RW a while ago, but it appears not to have been the case
It has a load of changes. Too many to list.

You got free access to the beta. The beta has been and gone so if you never tried it then you'll need to buy it. My advice, would be for you to buy the game on Steam, and if after 1 hour and a half of playing you don't enjoy it, refund it - you can refund Steam games with less 2 hours of playtime or less than 2 weeks in your library.
Old 5th September 2017, 05:19   #10
GB
Established Member

As far as I can see, everyone that has played the game since its official launch has beta tested it.
Old 6th September 2017, 13:43   #11
Crossover
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernRailways View Post
It has a load of changes. Too many to list.

You got free access to the beta. The beta has been and gone so if you never tried it then you'll need to buy it. My advice, would be for you to buy the game on Steam, and if after 1 hour and a half of playing you don't enjoy it, refund it - you can refund Steam games with less 2 hours of playtime or less than 2 weeks in your library.
Ah, that would explain it. Never got notified of the beta when it came out so never got a chance to give it a go
Old 8th September 2017, 15:35   #12
Iskra
Established Member

It looks very good graphically, a step-change since railworks, I'm just concerned about the limited playability of GWR Express until the scenario making tools are released.

I've downloaded the CSX addition, but I have no real interest in US railways, so will wait for the GWR add on is released before I really give it some time.
Iskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 13:40   #13
Crossover
Established Member

DTG released a fairly long video the other day to show off the new route and I stayed up far too late watching it!

I have decided to purchase following that and had a bit of a play with the US route last night - I don't have the most powerful graphics card but it seems to cope fairly well with it all in all, though I may not get quite as slick an experience as intended.

Just found out that it is tonight that the Great Western route is released so I may not be getting much done this weekend! The scenario side doesn't concern me too much - there looks to be hours of play just in the "Services" part - not sure I will spend too much time just as a passenger, though!
Old 14th September 2017, 23:48   #14
Iskra
Established Member

I've had a quick play on this tonight. Graphically it's pretty impressive (one slight glitch though which I'm sure will be sorted). The route is well modelled and certainly captures the feel of the GWML very nicely. Service mode is indeed fantastic and will keep me busy for a long time. The game feels a lot more engaging/challenging and definitely more realistic than it's predecessors. It doesn't seem to handle the high speeds quite as well as the slower speed CSX though.

Overall, it seems pretty good and I'm looking forward to trying the Networker and class 66. There's a lot more to come from this game.
Iskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 00:00   #15
Crossover
Established Member

I had an odd one on the tutorial where it seemed to think I had started the engine on the 166 but, as far as I could tell it wasn't. Also on the HST tutorial the engine wouldn't start at all from what I could tell

I'm finding that the PC can't handle the graphics too well and it's very choppy as a result. I will look further at the settings probably over the weekend - this may be also doing odd things to the sounds too