RailUK Forums
RailUK Forums > UK Railway Forums > Railway Jobs & Careers


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12th September 2017, 19:21   #1
Cavan
Member
 
Join Date: 7 Jan 2017
Posts: 28
Default jobs with 1st class priv?

Just this really. What sort of level of rail jobs come with a 1st class priv card? I know in br jobs it was ms grades but what about it todays tocs?
Cavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Registered users do not see these banners - join today!
Old 12th September 2017, 20:10   #2
pdeaves
Member
 
Join Date: 14 Sep 2014
Posts: 748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavan View Post
Just this really. What sort of level of rail jobs come with a 1st class priv card? I know in br jobs it was ms grades but what about it todays tocs?
Where I work, I think it's only equivalent to EG grades that get run-of-the-mill first class TOC passes (us mortals have a fixed quota of weekend first). For 'priv' (on other TOCs) it might just be protected staff who were already eligible.
__________________
GWR brand photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdeave...57666733437443. Railway codes: http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk
pdeaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 11:27   #3
The Planner
1036
Established Member
 
Join Date: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 7,663
Default

At NR its protected staff only at Band 3 and above.
__________________
Not normally one for this but....all posted drivel is my own opinion and has nothing at all to do with my employer...social media policy and all that.
The Planner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 11:43   #4
LowLevel
Established Member
 
Join Date: 26 Oct 2013
Posts: 2,137
Default

Our TOC gives all grades with 15 years service first class passes. Otherwise Group TOC only passes tend to be the level above junior manager and up with only protected senior grades having access to a fixed quota of silver and gold passes. I don't think blue regional passes have new issues now.

Naturally in my experience despite not permitting all staff travel facilities, executives and directors funnily enough seem to gain complimentary passes as they require from other TOCs.
LowLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 13:42   #5
Spankthemonkey
Member
 
Join Date: 7 Oct 2015
Posts: 247
Default

Would imagine it will be irrelevent within a decade as the number of tocs removing/reducing first class seems to be increasing.
Spankthemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 14:09   #6
tiptoptaff
Member
 
Join Date: 15 Feb 2013
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankthemonkey View Post
Would imagine it will be irrelevent within a decade as the number of tocs removing/reducing first class seems to be increasing.
Doubt it will go from the major IC TOCs....
tiptoptaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 14:19   #7
PudseyBearHST
Member
 
PudseyBearHST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 Sep 2015
Location: Great Western Mainline ;)
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowLevel View Post
Our TOC gives all grades with 15 years service first class passes. Otherwise Group TOC only passes tend to be the level above junior manager and up with only protected senior grades having access to a fixed quota of silver and gold passes. I don't think blue regional passes have new issues now.

Naturally in my experience despite not permitting all staff travel facilities, executives and directors funnily enough seem to gain complimentary passes as they require from other TOCs.
Thats rather generous and nice. Only ever got standard class all my life....
PudseyBearHST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 14:21   #8
PudseyBearHST
Member
 
PudseyBearHST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 Sep 2015
Location: Great Western Mainline ;)
Posts: 450
Default

Do remember that some TOCs also have something called 'Standard +' which means that you get standard class all the time and first class off peak.
PudseyBearHST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:20   #9
Worldwide
Member
 
Join Date: 10 Dec 2016
Posts: 6
Default

My partner works for Virgin Trains and they get free first class class travel at all times after 5 years service.
Worldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 20:01   #10
tsr
"to stop specially at..."
Established Member
 
tsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 15 Nov 2011
Location: Between the yellow line and the white line, probably undertaking technical work
Posts: 5,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudseyBearHST View Post
Thats rather generous and nice. Only ever got standard class all my life....
You are (if I remember correctly) round about university age, so I wouldn't worry, you've got time yet!
__________________
Friends come and go, but trains come and stay. Especially if the line is suspended. @BookOfMetro - Twitter
tsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 20:14   #11
PudseyBearHST
Member
 
PudseyBearHST's Avatar
 
Join Date: 28 Sep 2015
Location: Great Western Mainline ;)
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr View Post
You are (if I remember correctly) round about university age, so I wouldn't worry, you've got time yet!
That's correct (it's on my profile information)! Unfortunately, that also means it will not be long before I lose my facilities because I can't be a dependent forever.
PudseyBearHST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:03.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8
© RailUK Forums 2005 - 2017